cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rough ride

Leo3150
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Melbourne. Got the sure tracking equipment on the front wheels that Mark Polk talked about a year or two ago. But I am wondering if I there is a way to make the ride a little smoother. In reviewing the topics I noticed talk about air bags and shocks making the RV from swaying and wandering, which I don't have a problem with. Will the air bags and new shocks help with the ride? It rides fairly well when the roads are good. The rougher the road the rougher the ride. Any advice will be appreciated.

PS: I will be towing a Tribute (finally got it back from Amarillo dealer and a new transmission) using the KarKaddy SS.

Thank,
Leo
8 REPLIES 8

sjn7708
Explorer
Explorer
you will only be able to smooth the ride out so much. recommend a good set of bilsteins or other shocks first. air bags are to help when towing or more weight in rear but wont necessarily give smoother ride, same with helper springs. sway bar will help with leaning but wont smooth out ride. the truly smooth ride only comes from a full on air suspension like on the diesel class a's. thats different from air bags. its too expensive to put a true air suspension on a class c, although it can be done. some ambulances, vehicles for handicapped, etc have it. the ride in a diesel class a is a world of difference, but so is the price.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
RV's weigh a lot requiring stiff springs. Interstate highways are rough from weather and concrete sections are cupped due to pounding by big rigs. Reducing tire pressure within safe limits can help. A few have removed rear spring leafs or had stock springs modified for softer ride. I have always tried to keep speed down and find the smoothest lane taking frequent rest stops to reduce road strain. I have had tire failures on really hot days while taking a pounding from rough cupped highways. Secondary asphalt paved roads can be a lot smoother.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you start with the basics. May save you some money.

Yes, we need specs on what you have to give better answers, but a good place to start is tire pressure.

Have you weighed the individual wheel positions (better) or axles and set tire pressure per you tire manufacturer's specs for that weight? If you are over inflated, you can spend a LOT of money and not fix the root problem.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

You may want to take a look a Mor/Ryde. They have a suspension system that I put under our MDT and it helped withthe ride greatly. I had the work done at their location in Elkhart, IN. I had the suspension system put on the front and rear of a 5500 Chevrolet Kodiak. They did a great job with unbelievable customer service.

Mor/Ryde system

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
What Size Melbourne? What's its Wheelbase? Have you Weighed it? And as noted, Which Chassis?
It seems that many C's, even on Ford E450 are front-light/rear-heavy. If you have weighed it, get a tire weight/load chart. Doesn't have to be your Brand, but you need to match Tire Size, Load Range, and Axle Position (Single and Dual have different ratings). If it's an E450 (and E350 too, I believe) Front Tires should be at no more than 65PSI. That's 65 (works out to max load on front axle) or Less, given that most C's are front-light. That's 65 or less, even though tire sidewall for Load Range E is 80. On a fully loaded E450 REAR axle, the Dual part of the chart comes out to 80, the sidewall pressure. Having no more pressure than required by load will ease the ride a little. Having correct FRONT pressure will also help tracking.
Please answer our questions, then we'll go to Page Two.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
How much weight on the rear axle? Too little weight is harsh all the time and too much weight is soft until you hit the bump stops. Both can situations can be improved upon but the solutions are not the same for both.

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
What chassis is it on, and what length is it? What tire pressures? How many miles on the shocks, and are they OEM?

Jim, "Wine improves with age. I improve with wine."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')