Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route from Columbus,GA to Huntsville,AL

seadogjim
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
Can anyone recommend the best route from Columbus to Huntsville? One way looks like I-85 to Montgomery and up I-65. Another route, that looks shorter but is possibly more congested, is US-280 from Columbus to Birmingham and then up I-65. Driving a Class A w/towd, so if US-280 has a lot of traffic and lights it may not be worth it to save a few miles.
Appreciate any advice from those who are familiar with the area.

Thanks,
Jim
seadog
10 REPLIES 10

seadogjim
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like US-280 up to I-20/59 in Birmingham then over to I-65 is the best alternative. That route avoids the rough stretches of I-65 in Birmingham and Montgomery, both bone-jarring experiences! Seems strange, all other roads in AL generally are very good except those two areas.
Took US-431 some years ago all the way from FL to Huntsville and there were way too many traffic lights, especially around Dothan, Gadsden, Guntersville, etc., to suffer driving a big motorhome.
Thanks again to all for the great advice.

Jim
seadog

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
DFord wrote:
Are the northbound lanes of I-65 as rough as the southbound lanes south of I-20? That section beat us up pretty badly on the way down in late December. It was by far the roughest stretch of highway between St Louis and Homestead, FL.

Yes, in places it is worse. The problem with I-20 was (some of it has been repaired recently) uneven concrete sections. I-65 had that also, but in addition has many poorly repaired potholes and broken concrete sections. The contractors don't do concrete very well here, they do asphalt much better.

The rough patch of I-65 is North and Southbound, just South of the I-20/59 interchange down to I-459. It'll rattle your teeth.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

blakduk01
Explorer
Explorer
HWY 80 west out of Phenix city I-85 to I-65 then north to Huntsville

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
You can't go from Columbus to Huntsville. You have to go somewhere else first.

Seriously. I would take 280 to I-459 and left to I-65. Avoid 280 into Birmingham during rush hours. Or, if you like seeing the backcountry the 431 route is slightly shorter.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Are the northbound lanes of I-65 as rough as the southbound lanes south of I-20? That section beat us up pretty badly on the way down in late December. It was by far the roughest stretch of highway between St Louis and Homestead, FL.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
US 280 to I-59 South/I-20 West (stay in the right lane here) to I-65 North. Take the Daniel Payne exit (about 3rd exit after getting on I-65) and turn left at the end of the exit. Go past Flying J, turn right onto Coalberg Rd.(approx 1/2 mile). That will intersect with I-22 West. Good signage for all the roads.

BTW - there will be an intersection of I-65 North to I-22 West soon, just not quite ready yet (few months).
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be coming into Birmingham on US-280 and need to cross over to I-22 (US-78) after the FMCA rally in Perry, GA.

Any suggestions on the best way to get across town? I'd like to avoid that rough section of I-65.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
gsander1 wrote:
US280 is a great road from Columbus to about 7 or 8 miles SE of I459 at Birmingham. There you will find many lights and heavy traffic. That is, however, the way I would go. Best alternative is US280 from Columbus to I85 to Montgomery where you'll pick up I65.

X2 - Hwy 280 is your best route. Like gsander1 said there are a few traffic lights and one big hill East of Birmingham, but you avoid a really bad patch of poor concrete for several miles on I-65 on the South side of BHam. You also come into I-65 past most of the downtown traffic if you happen to hit that at rush hour.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

gsander1
Explorer
Explorer
US280 is a great road from Columbus to about 7 or 8 miles SE of I459 at Birmingham. There you will find many lights and heavy traffic. That is, however, the way I would go. Best alternative is US280 from Columbus to I85 to Montgomery where you'll pick up I65.
George in Birmingham, AL
03 Country Coach Magna

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
You left out 431 North. About 30 minutes difference and 50 miles give or take.