cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rte 50 in Colorado

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling from Colorado Springs Colorado to Black Canyon NP is Rte 50 good Rte for 37 ft class A with 16 ft trailer
Traveling to cal col Idaho WY south dakota Oregon with 34 ft class A pulling 7 by 12 enclosed trailer with my trike.
24 REPLIES 24

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Last year there was a lot of construction with 1 lane areas controlled by lights. Not sure if it will be done this year, as I'm not sure what they were doing.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
I am always a bit reluctant to offer advice on mountain driving.

There are TWO aspects that must be considered:

The rig.

The driver. While advice from a guy living and driving most of his life in the Rockies with exactly the same rig could, with all confidence say NO PROBLEM, that exact same route might be extremely challenging to a "flat lander".

Knowing how and when to use engine braking, how and when to use service brakes, the need for brake fluid to be good (not hydrated), etc do not necessarily come with a driver's license.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
rickwellman wrote:
Probably middle of June 2018

Lucky You - Great time to be in Colorado - you will be fine, just don't get in a hurry - couple other things to be sure are on the schedule - Buena Vista and the Collegiates - Crested Butte - Ouray and Lake City - Alpine Loop - Marble - Redstone - Maroon Bells - Silverton.

As others have suggested look into RT 24 out of The Springs - little tight in the beginning but the drive out is great as you can see the Collegiates as soon as you come out of the Mountains - Just Beautiful, and the Arkansas River is there waiting for you, along with Q's and Quincy's.

If you were to stay for a few nights in Buena Vista you could drive over RT82 to Aspen/Independence Pass/Maroon Bells for a day trip in the Toad (RT82 is a restricted road, but a beautiful day Drive)

Biggest problem you might face is just not enough time to drive More of the Great Roads in the SouthWest part of Colorado.

Take 1,000's of pictures and report back.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
We took that route last June with our rig and no problems. You will have to cross Monarch Pass as others said. Take your time and enjoy the scenery.
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
When we took that trip last summer it was really slow. A couple of bridges into the Blue Mesa Res. there were single lanes and the waits for your turn. This occurred until the last pass before Montrose. The damage in several areas was obvious erosion being repaired in August. Quite graphic and I could not see it being fixed by now which evolves into summer availability. Due to repair seasons I could not see it being fixed by summer 2018. However that is just an opinion. AND I give you this opinion so you can go and check the condition of your route. I ... did not.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
we have taken that route several times over the years and had no problems.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
rickwellman wrote:
Traveling from Colorado Springs Colorado to Black Canyon NP is Rte 50 good Rte for 37 ft class A with 16 ft trailer

Just did it last Oct. You should be fine but slow if you're a DP. If you're a gasser you'll be real slow and be careful of you temps. Monarch pass tops out a around 11,100 ft.

The drive is beautiful.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog

rickwellman
Explorer
Explorer
Probably middle of June 2018
Traveling to cal col Idaho WY south dakota Oregon with 34 ft class A pulling 7 by 12 enclosed trailer with my trike.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
We have driven that route many, many times in the summer, but never in the winter. So when do you plan to go, now or this summer?
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
50 is a bit winding along the river and you will go over Monarch pass which will be slow, but you should be fine. 24 to BV is another option but it's about the same. Check conditions ahead and make sure to accidents or snow chains required