cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rust-Oleum Stop Leak

ricelake922
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had any success with the product Rust-Oleum Stop Leak on the roof of their MH. I find it hard to work with a caulking gun and thought this might be a good alternative.
9 REPLIES 9

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:

John&Joey wrote:
I'm guessing it's petroleum based, and if you have a rubber roof you will ruin it.

I'm no chemist, but here is the MSDS Sheet on it.

But...from the FAQ section, it depends on the type of roof material;

4. Can LeakSealยฎ be applied to ABS Plastic or Synthetic Rubber?
LeakSealยฎ is not recommended to be used on ABS Plastic or synthetic rubber. These two substrates have been proven to be extremely difficult to properly accept coatings.

Synthetic rubber is just a fancy way to say the rubber isn't from a rubber tree. I would be more concern with this product destroying the rubber roof then just a poor seal. If the OP in fact does have a rubber roof I would call the roof maker and pose the question to them. Replacing a roof can run from 3-6K and is too much to risk on a $10 can of thinned out tar and internet well wishes.

BTW, Good job on your research!
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Bruce_Brown
jfkmk wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
I haven't used it on the MH roof but I did use it extensively to seal between the walls and floor when I did a Travel Trailer Rebuild.

By all accounts it works as advertised.

Nice rebuild! I sure hope someone paid you good money to haul it away with all the work you did yo it.

Thanks.

I knew what I was getting when I bought it, and lets just say I bought it right.

mike-uswest wrote:
That was a great job, and looks like a lot of work.

Mike

I have around 400 hours in the rebuild, 395 of them were a blast to do. I enjoy projects like this from time-to-time, this one was no exception.

John&Joey wrote:
I'm guessing it's petroleum based, and if you have a rubber roof you will ruin it.

I'm no chemist, but here is the MSDS Sheet on it.

But...from the FAQ section, it depends on the type of roof material;

4. Can LeakSealยฎ be applied to ABS Plastic or Synthetic Rubber?
LeakSealยฎ is not recommended to be used on ABS Plastic or synthetic rubber. These two substrates have been proven to be extremely difficult to properly accept coatings.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
That's what I thought too. I would not use it on my rubber roof. A friend of ours sealed a leak on his roof with it two months ago. Only time will tell what affect it will have on the rubber roof and how long the seal will last.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I used it on a small wooden box I built to hold the batteries. Sprayed the whole box with 1 can - looks like it sealed really well - so far it is holding up well.

I also used it to seal around a chimney - 5 years later - no leaks.

I would use it for your intended purpose.

Gerry
Gerry

mike-uswest
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
I haven't used it on the MH roof but I did use it extensively to seal between the walls and floor when I did a Travel Trailer Rebuild.

That was a great job, and looks like a lot of work.

Mike
2019 Ram 2500 TCD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y 30'

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
It bubbles if even the tiniest bit of moisture is behind it. I used it and removed it.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:

Nice rebuild! I sure hope someone paid you good money to haul it away with all the work you did yo it.

Bruce_Brown

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910