cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RUST!!!

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1997 Xplorer 230XL. Last year I noticed a small amount of surface rust on my low side just above the running boards in front of the rear wheel well. I used my Dremel tool to remove the rusty paint area and found nice shiny metal. I primed, painted & clear coated. I could not get access to the back side of the metal, but did try to spray some rustoleum in there through a small hole. It looked pretty good.

This Feb & Mar I was in FL & the surface rust came back a little where my work was done, but more elsewhere especially on the drivers side.

I dropped it off Monday at a collision shop to remove the running boards & sand blast the rust & repaint. I went back after they removed the running boards and there were some serious holes through the hidden part of the rocker panels. They are going to cut out the bad and weld in some new metal. They will spray some rust inhibitor in the holes to try to slow down the rust elsewhere in there. I may need to have this done again. I hope it lasts a number of years before that. I am glad I did this and didn't wait until more body was gone.

6 REPLIES 6

booster
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with most of the weld in repairs is that all the finish on inside is going to burn off in the weld area, and as mentioned there will be lots of other areas inside to address.

The best way, in hidden areas like this is to fix rusty sections and then drill holes in it to accept the rustproof shop type plastic plugs. Do the drilling before the paint, so the hole edges get painted. Paint up the panel, do a full penetrating rustproofing spray in the inside areas through the holes, making sure you get the front surface where the weld are very well, and then put in the plugs. As long they are hidden, you can put the holes wherever it takes to get a good coating of rustproofing inside the cavity.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Here's what the shop has done so far:

This is what they sprayed into the openings before welding on the new metal. I hope this lasts at least 5 years before needing repeated.

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
OK, I'm not fully understanding the purpose of your post then.

Letting others know that bad rust may be hidden under the running boards even when the rest looks pretty good. And that it should be addressed ASAP before it totally rots.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
OK, I'm not fully understanding the purpose of your post then.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire,

I do not think there is a way to spray the backside of these panels, except now with the holes there. As I said the repair guy is going to spray something in there when he cuts out the bad. As my post indicated, I expect to have to do this again in the future.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
One thing about rust. You can cut out the cancer and replace body panels. You cannot change the inherent design flaws that led to the rusting to begin with. It will always come back, especially on something that is nearly 20 years old.

The best product that I know of to deal with this, slow it down, is POR-15. But it has to be done before its roughed out, not after it's refinished.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)