cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No foreign cars with automatic are towable 4 down this year

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked at the 2015 Dinghy Guide and noted that there are no foreign cars with automatic transmissions that are towable 4 down in the model year 2015.

The American brands seem to be dominating this category with Ford and Chevy having lots of choices. I noticed that Jeep only has one car with automatic transmission capable of being towed 4 down. This was a big surprise to me.

Finally, most of the cars with automatic transmissions are a bit heavier than ideal for towing.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
30 REPLIES 30

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
C20 wrote:

Not that's its towable but I'll stay with my Challenger Hellcat vs. the vw!

Should have gotten the manual transmission that is 4 down towable.

I was wanting a automatic towable.
The MKS 3.5L AWD EcoBoost 365 HP won out over the Dodge Challenger & Chevy SS with a better ride & more options(toys). But a slower 5.3 0-60 with 2 less cylinders.
I'm retired so 1 second slower is no big deal. ๐Ÿ™‚
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

SacsTC
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
accsys wrote:
holstein13 wrote:
I noticed that Jeep only has one car with automatic transmission capable of being towed 4 down. This was a big surprise to me.

I saw that the Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, and Wrangler Unlimited are all towable with an automatic and no speed or mileage limitations. You just have to pay attention to which auto-transmission and four-wheel drive it has.

I believe you are correct. It's not that Jeep only has one vehicle towable four-down, it's that they only have one auto-tranny that's towable four-down and it's available in all their vehicles.

Not exactly true. The Renegade is not towable with its ZF 9-speed. The tranny in the Jeep has to have AD-2. Must be careful if you are planning to tow the Jeep to make sure it has this tranny installed. It is not available in all their vehicles.
1999 Damon Daybreak 3270
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
I was a good kid, now I'm making up for it

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
DanTheRVMan wrote:
BobGed wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
I believe you are correct. It's not that Jeep only has one vehicle towable four-down, it's that they only have one auto-tranny that's towable four-down and it's available in all their vehicles.

The Cherokee has a 9-speed ZF automatic transmission that is not available on any other Jeep model, and is towable four down.

Made by ZF or Jeep? There is a difference in user satisfaction.

which is the 9 speed that has been the topic of many issues?
bumpy-

DanTheRVMan
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:

The Cherokee has a 9-speed ZF automatic transmission that is not available on any other Jeep model, and is towable four down.

Made by ZF or Jeep? There is a difference in user satisfaction.
Dan
Tiffin Phaeton
Allegro Red 36ft Sold

Bruce_Brown
Bumpyroad wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
There's still REMCO, making the list of potential toads a lot longer. ๐Ÿ˜‰

sure, what could go wrong?
bumpy

At least the roof won't blow off. :W
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
C20 wrote:
Posted: 06/03/15 08:16pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator

This will be my daily driver that still gets 32 mpg and with a $500 ECU upgrade will
lower 0 to 60 to 3.8. Apples and Oranges. Just be careful if some guy in a Golf pulls up beside you at a light. It may be an R! :B
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

C20
Explorer
Explorer
Posted: 06/03/15 08:16pm Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
demoon wrote:

Can Remco do anything for a CVT transmission? Most new foreign cars have them.

CVT trannies are few and far between. Not that many cars have them.
I'm shopping for a new car as a daily driver but all the cars that are towable are not for me.
Too boring. Just ordered a VW Golf R. 292 hp, all wheel drive, 0 to 60 in 4.2 secs.
now that will be fun!

2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2009 Yamaha TTR125

2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
katoomer wrote:
demoon wrote:

I'm shopping for a new car as a daily driver but all the cars that are towable are not for me.
Too boring. Just ordered a VW Golf R. 292 hp, all wheel drive, 0 to 60 in 4.2 secs.
now that will be fun!

๐Ÿ™‚
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

katoomer
Explorer
Explorer
demoon wrote:

now that will be fun!
2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2014 Can Am Outlander 500
2007 Yamaha YZ250F

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
cpoo wrote:
The Smart Car still has the original manual with automatic clutch available which is towed four down. They also have a new transmission which is automatic and I don't know if it can be towed. At first blush I say no.

Yep. The 2016 for the US and Canada will still be the 451 with the standard (auto clutch) tranny. The 2016 for europe and the rest of the world will be the 453 although there are reports that Mexican smarts will be 451's for the first half of the year. Guess we'll have to weight a bit to see. The 453 looks interesting though.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
the silverback wrote:
Buy American!!!

Buy Canadian. :). International board boys. :). Just sayin. :). Personally we bought a German designed car built in France. ๐Ÿ™‚

demoon
Explorer
Explorer

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:

bumpy
Been around here for since this forum started. I think I can count on 1 or 2 fingers the number of times I heard of any problem with Remco lube pumps. I'm on my second rig towing thousands of miles with no issues.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:

bumpy

Nothing has gone wrong in the 40,000 plus miles I've run my REMCO pump on two toads. Even if the pump system fails for some reason, you'll get an alarm warning with plenty of time to safely pull over. If the problem can't be quickly resolved, you can either have your co-pilot drive the toad or you can start the engine and leave it idling until you get to a repair location. In all of the RV related forums I follow though, REMCO pump failures are almost unheard of, and even those few reports have been at least second or third hand info.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate