cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV dog trotting.

txtode
Explorer
Explorer
On my trip to Dallas this past Tuesday I noticed my coach was "Dog Trotting" down the road (the only way I know how to describe it). Also when braking the rear of the coach felt as if it was "fish tailing. There is something loose or broken back there. It feels like when the rear wheels start sliding when on ice or wet surface and you would steer into skid to correct. Any one have any idea what I should look for first, and where I would have it repaired?

1999 Monaco Dynasty 40'
'99 Monoco Dynasty 40PBS
12 REPLIES 12

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
txtode wrote:
mtrumpet ---- No cracks or broken trailing arms. I crawled under the MH and the bushings on thw arms were completely gone, nothing. I believe that is the problem.
Thanks to all for comments.

Go to Bucks....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

txtode
Explorer
Explorer
mtrumpet ---- No cracks or broken trailing arms. I crawled under the MH and the bushings on thw arms were completely gone, nothing. I believe that is the problem.
Thanks to all for comments.
'99 Monoco Dynasty 40PBS

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Is that unit one of the Monaco's with bad trailing arms. Regardless you should NOT drive this MH without having a chassis shop check the entire rear suspension. Could be dangerous.

Moisheh

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Executive wrote:
There's a couple service centers in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Industrial Truck and Service Center or Bucks Wheel and Alignment. While yours is not a Freightliner chassis,there's a couple Freightliner shops there that I'm sure could help you....Dennis

These two places are great. I've used Bucks Wheel and Equipment on my Bounder and they did a great job!
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:
No leaf springs. Dynasty is on an 8 outboard airbag roadmaster chassis.
That type of problem on this chassis is rare, get it checked out asap.

The rear H frame in loacated by 2 "trailing arms" that run forward from the back, and sideways by 2 trackbars.

I could be way off here, but wasn't it Monaco that had the recall on the trailing arms several years ago? If the OP's unit didn't have the recall replacements and one (or both) of those trailing arms cracked or broke, could that possibly be the problem?
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
No leaf springs. Dynasty is on an 8 outboard airbag roadmaster chassis.
That type of problem on this chassis is rare, get it checked out asap.

The rear H frame in loacated by 2 "trailing arms" that run forward from the back, and sideways by 2 trackbars.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
There's a couple service centers in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Industrial Truck and Service Center or Bucks Wheel and Alignment. While yours is not a Freightliner chassis,there's a couple Freightliner shops there that I'm sure could help you....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
It also could be the "trailing arms" They are known to break on some Monaco's.

Go here for a great thread about those trailing arms.

Here is a snip from that thread -

Thank goodness for this FMCA forum and the posts about this problem. In September we were on the freeway near Atlanta when our 2006 Holiday Rambler Neptune started rocking from side to side and made sounds like something underneath up front was loose. We slowed down and made it to our campground and when I looked underneath I could find nothing loose up front. I went online and did a Google search and found this post. I went underneath again and found the left rear trailing arm was completely broken with a 1 inch gap between the U-bolts, and the left wheel was no longer centered in the wheelwell.

The FMCA post not only alerted me to the problem but gave me the source for stronger replacement arms. I called Scott Zimmer at Source Manufacturing and validated the information, so when I got to the repair shop I knew what needed to be done.

We had the trailing arms replaced at Apalachee RV Center in Auburn, GA, just outside Atlanta. I cannot say enough about how well we were treated there from the moment we arrived to the final delivery of the repaired coach. They are strictly an RV repair facility and they know what they're doing. This was the first time Apalachee had seen this particular problem on the Monaco RR4R chassis. I provided them with the information I had found and they contacted Scott Zimmer and found that the fastest way to get a pair of replacement arms was through Scott's POC in Melbourne, FL. Dan Kinard, the service manager, did all the coordination with Easy Care under our extended warranty. When the arms arrived their technician did a meticulous job of making the installation correct, and explained to me exactly what steps he was taking. I was very pleased with the whole experience at Apalachee RV Center. Dan Kinard even called me several days later to be sure I wasn't having any problems with the repair. That's first class service.

The coach is now handling better than it did when it was new as it rides over bumps much smoother.

Thanks again to FMCA for providing such a valuable service on their forums.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

txtode
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199, exactly what I am going to do.
'99 Monoco Dynasty 40PBS

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leaf springs broken or coming loose. Whatever it is, sounds dangerous. Don't think I'd drive it too much other than straight to a repair facility.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

txtode
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II, thanks for term and your reply. I am currently in

Dallas, so should have no problem finding a repair facility.
'99 Monoco Dynasty 40PBS

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Crabbing is the term you are looking for.

Take it to a truck repair facility or RV dealer that specializes in large MHs.

Sounds like something has broken loose and the rear axle(s) is/are out of alignment.