cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV For Dog Rescue Charity

susanmaria
Explorer
Explorer
I run a dog rescue transport charity where I bring dogs from high kill shelters to shelter in other states where they will more readily find homes. I usually rent a van, but I thought purchasing a used class C RV would be more convenient since many of my trips are long distance (I don't like smuggling in 10+ dogs into hotel rooms!)

My problem is, I have no idea how to shop for one. Is there a basic list of things to look for? Diesel vs Gas; Used vs New; Recommended manufacturers, etc.

This RV will have approximately 5 to 6 trips per year. At least one trip per year will be a cross country trip.

Any help would be appreciated. (And, so far, no one will give me a discount for being a charity)
21 REPLIES 21

susanmaria
Explorer
Explorer
I had no plans to go to campgrounds with these rescue dogs. I thought overnight in a Walmart parking lot would be a better idea. Don't all RV's come with generators? A cannot get a toy hauler because I don't own a large vehicle capable of towing. Also, I would want to be in the RV while I am driving to keep an eye on the dogs.

Also, all of these dogs would be small breed, Chihuahua type dogs. No aggressive breeds at all would be transported.

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife is into dog shows and we worked with a rescue organization for 25-ish years. We fold our table down, lay carpet on that space and stack dog crates. It works really well. Do check dog limits in campgrounds. We have never had an issue but, we are ultra cautious and we don't take all our dogs. The most that we have ever camped with is 4 and they are sweet natured pug dogs. If you tried 10 rescues you might get yourself in a bind in a hurry. A generator is not optional. You must have a generator in good working order to keep the coach cool. In the summer it will get hot in there and the dash air won't keep it cool, pretty much at all. You'll have to run the roof AC when you have dogs on board, even riding down the interstate. Make sure those things work perfect or don't buy it.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
"......I thought purchasing a used class C RV would be more convenient since many of my trips are long distance (I don't like smuggling in 10+ dogs into hotel rooms!)"

Wait until you try that in a Campground. they have pet limits: numbers (2 or less) weight (25#---45#) and BREED restrictions (Pitbulls, Dobies, Shepards, Rotties, Chows, Mastif, are common 'aggressive banned') PLUS keeping that many dogs QUIET

AZ has a LOT of 'banned breeds' Pitbulls galore

We looked for months for a rescue '''''''finally a Border Collie Mix.

I commend your efforts but your thought process is off base'
A toyhauler would be a good travel platform but CGs are going to be REAL problem.
Overnighting at Rest Areas, Walmarts etc might be better options. No pet limits and FREE

Best of luck.

x2...look for something with a generator and boondock. Limit of 2 pets in the campground, do not "sneak" them in. Most likely you will be asked to leave.

Good luck.

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to look at travel trailer or fifth wheel toy haulers. They seem perfect for using crates. The Logans have a good idea. As others are saying, you won't be getting into most private rv parks but there are many other options.

I really admire what you do. I recently rescued a Sheltie in San Antonio who was pulled from a high kill shelter. He was going to be zapped the next day. The agency I used is very involved in rescuing dogs and then transporting them to other areas of the county. San Antonio is evidently one of the areas with a huge "surplus" of dogs that get killed. I never knew there were people like you that transported them to other areas so keep up the good work! 🙂
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
"......I thought purchasing a used class C RV would be more convenient since many of my trips are long distance (I don't like smuggling in 10+ dogs into hotel rooms!)"

Wait until you try that in a Campground. they have pet limits: numbers (2 or less) weight (25#---45#) and BREED restrictions (Pitbulls, Dobies, Shepards, Rotties, Chows, Mastif, are common 'aggressive banned') PLUS keeping that many dogs QUIET

AZ has a LOT of 'banned breeds' Pitbulls galore

We looked for months for a rescue '''''''finally a Border Collie Mix.

I commend your efforts but your thought process is off base'
A toyhauler would be a good travel platform but CGs are going to be REAL problem.
Overnighting at Rest Areas, Walmarts etc might be better options. No pet limits and FREE

Best of luck.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

The_Logans
Explorer
Explorer
We've been rescuing for a long time, and currently have 5 pups living with us (and 7 more in little oak boxes on the mantel).

When you think of buying for a non-profit, think of the Income Tax rite-offs!

I know that you aren't thinking of a new unit, I'm only showing you this for the purpose considering a "toy hauler". The rear of this one is a 8" X 9" foot garage, that will haul a bunch of crates. The rear door is a ramp that also will become a 6" X 7" foot fenced patio deck, which would be great for grooming, feeding, or just the fur babies getting some fresh air.

Just something to consider.

https://thormotorcoach.com/outlaw/class-c/floorplans/

Good luck!
Me, My wonderful Wife, 2 Bluetick Hounds, a Newfie, a Cairn Terrier & a Black Lab / Newfie Mix.
2018 Jayco Alante 31v

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I remember someone with very similar aims asked much the same question a year or so ago. The general consensus, as I remember things, was that a dedicated animal transport trailer would be the most satisfactory system. Having several dogs (who may not know each other or you all that well) cooped up together inside a vehicle while driving doesn't sound to me like a great situation. Further, very many campgrounds limit the number of animals you can have per campsite, so instead of sneaking dogs into hotel rooms you'd quite possibly be sneaking them into campgrounds.

That said, I would look for a used RV rather than a new one, partly because the depreciation the first few years is rather staggering and so the cost would be a lot less. If you're looking at a class C, some unit with sufficient space and weight carrying capacity most commonly would be on a Ford E-450 platform, and have their gas V10 engine, assuming it's not older than about 18 years or so. There's nothing wrong with that chassis combination; it's solid and well-known and generally reliable, though not particularly modern in overall design. It basically is an enlarged E-series van chassis.

The most important thing to check in my opinion (besides whether the layout and general design of the RV would work for your uses) is condition, and condition largely boils down to not having leaks at the seams or things that must perforate the roof or walls, and having the various systems work (furnace, AC, generator, plumbing, fridge, etc.) I would much rather have a well-maintained older, lesser quality brand RV than a newer, better, but unmaintained one.

Do be aware that an RV requires a good bit of maintenance. You will need to spend time and money keeping it in good shape if you do get one. The gas milage will also be noticeably worse than with a van (maybe 8 mpg, give or take a bit, for many class C motorhomes).