cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Height

jjrowan
Explorer
Explorer
Went through the manual on my Gulf Stream Sun Voyager (1998) Diesel pusher but can't find how tall the unit is including air conditioners. Google wasn't any help with this query either. Anyone know how tall this 31 foot long unit is?
11 REPLIES 11

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
Don't trust the published height. Measure it yourself!
X-2, measure the air conditioners from the roof up. Then measure your coach roof from the ground up! Add both numbers then write it with a magic marker on the lower drivers corner of your windshield. Whenever, you see a low height just look down in the lower corner of your windshield and you will immediately know if you can clear! Good Question!

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
When measuring your coach with air bag suspension be sure your air bags are up or you might get a surprise. Easy way is do the measurements with the suspension dumped then measure how much the coach rises with them aird up.
I found my listed high in the sales brochure not in the documentation. Yes I did my own measurements.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

becker
Explorer
Explorer
The height of my coach was not published so I measured it myself which I would have done anyway. That way I am sure of the figure.

I parked the coach on a very level spot at my storage facility. Then I put a 2x4 across the top of the air conditioner (highest point of the coach) and taped my tape measure to the outer edge of the 2x4. I put a level on top of my 2x4 (on top of the air conditioner) to be sure I was getting the same reading at the end of the 2x4. My DW took the reading of the tape measure down on the concrete. I did this on all 3 of my air conditioners. The measurement was 12 ft 5 inches. I taped this to the left side of my dash where I can see it all of the time. I also put the measurement in my coach folder. I won't go under an overpass with less than a 13 foot posting..... and even then I go under slowly and nervously. (You never know when they have put more "blacktop" of top of the road.)

My DW and I love to "run" the backroads to the "old" towns. So far we have been lucky with the overpasses and have found none that presented a problem.

I would strongly suggest that you measure your coach yourself (just to be sure and peace of mind.)

Good luck!
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42ft, 4 slides, 425hp clean air Cummins diesel
2013 Jeep Sahara 4-dr w/M&G Braking System
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 All Terrain Towing System

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tape measure to top. Get on top of coach, tape measure top of coach to A/C. Add together.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
On my Knight the published height was low by 3". Measure it yourself!
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Do what alfred622 says! Measure several points.

Make a label for your visor, and also calculate it in meters if you go to Canada. It's not a calculation you want to do at 60mph (~100kph).
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
It is not easy to measure it yourself, but it is the best way. Have your vehicle lightly loaded and park on a level surface. Get a 8' 2x4 that is pretty straight. Get out a 10' ladder and put it across from the highest part of the RV - probably the A/C unit. Take a tape measure (hint - use a piece of string with a weight on one end) up the ladder. Put a level on top of the 2x4. Rest one end of the 2x4 on top of the A/C (or highest spot) and then lift the other end of the 2x4 until level. Measure the height of the 2x4 from the ground (string can be used as the indicator and later its length can be measured). I add 6" to what I measured as a safety margin. Make two labels with the height you measured. Put one at the top of your windshield (where you'll see it if you look up) and another at the bottom of the windshield.

My actual measured height is 12'. My label reads 12'6". I won't go under anything that is less then 13' (well, maybe once I did go under a 12'6" but did so very slowly.
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I would get up on my ladder, set a 2x4 on the AC, put a level on the 2x4, and measure the distance down to the top of my ladder. Then I will measure the distance up to the top of my ladder and write down the height and put that measurement in my visor over the driver side of the rig.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
What he ^^ said. You gonna trust someone else's word for it when you're going through a 13' underpass?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

teddychamp
Explorer
Explorer
Whats wrong with measuring it yourself.???
Fleetwood Bounder 39R 330hp Cummins Turbo Diesel
Freightliner Chasis
Ford Escape Limited - on ACME Towdolly

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Don't trust the published height. Measure it yourself!
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L