Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Mattress - mildew problems

jpwiggo
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Gulfstreem Crescendo 38' DP Class A

In the master bedroom its one of those queensized beds. I've had mildew smell issues ever since I dewinterized it this spring.

Any tips / sugestions?

I'm thinking it may be better to just buy a new mattress. Are RV mattress special or can I just use a queen sized mattress? Suggestions one where to buy.

Many thanks
5 REPLIES 5

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
When I still lived up North I had same problem.

What I found was with the cold temps and then warm up condensation sometimes builds up under mattress where it touches the wood base. Because each is a different temperature when the temps outside are warming up.

It doesn't really mold up it just gets damp which gives you that mildew.

I have allergies so the first time that happened I had to throw out the mattress.

What I did was put four big empty 5 gal paint buckets on each corner and lifted the mattress on top of them for when MH was in storage for the winter. No more moisture problems.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can try febreezing the heck out of it and letting it air out in the dry sun. Sometimes that works.

For future, you might use damprid to keep the moisture down in your RV. I use the big tub and it lasts about 3 months in my 21ft rig. It really helps with condensation, etc.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've seen this discussed in the past and IIRC, it seems to have something to do with heat from the engine.
I don't think you'll ever get rid of the musty smell entirely without replacing the mattress. Then I would install some high R value rigid insulation under it.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on the size of the support. I'd also be investigating the cause of mildew/moisture. That's not good.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
A standard queen will work. I think they at 60 x 70.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter