cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Refrigerator - safe fridge temp

-MEL
Explorer
Explorer
I have recently purchased a used class C RV and wonder about the fridge temps. The freezer has no problem keeping things frozen but the fridge operates at between 39.4 and 40.5 degrees, going a bit higher at times if the door is opened a lot during a hot day. Is this a normal temp range for an RV fridge?

Will replace the fridge if necessary but no need if this is the norm for this type of fridge.

MEL
6 REPLIES 6

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Below 50 is generally pretty safe but I prefer to keep mine around 35 degrees. Like my beverages cold.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine is 39* on the bottom shelf. I always pre cool my items when possible and always avoid cardboard in the fridge, it acts as an insulator. I fill my freezer with bags

of ice also. If you are new to RV fridges they cool differently and slower than home style units. Open the outside vent and be sure the chimney is free of leaves etc.

A good air flow is important.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
ours ranges from 34-38. depends on how hot it is and how many people open it.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
IMHO: Your fridge and especially your beer should be 37 degrees or less. Life is too short to drink warm beer. :S

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
41 degrees is a perfect temperature to hold beer at.
bumpy

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes that is 'normal' temps in food section of rv fridge.

Minimize door open times......grazing.....cause absorption fridges take much longer to recover loss of temps
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31