cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Tires

shadow65
Explorer
Explorer
Need to replace my 6 yr old Michelins. 275/80R 22.5 Tread looks OK but sidewalls cracking. Any suggestions for something better or are these still a good tire for a Class A pusher?
2015 Tiffin Allegro RED
2006 Honda Element Toad
15 REPLIES 15

AdamJensen
Explorer
Explorer
I really like Michelin, probably there is nothing better than them. another 10-20 years before they really have to be changed), but you can read about analogues here: https://coachmen-rv.pissedconsumer.com/review.html

H___E
Explorer
Explorer
I was a michlin guy for years and used on all vehicles. Six year old Michlin's on motor home with cracked sidewalls were replaced with Toyo-no more Michlins for me.

Bruce_Brown
We've replaced Michelins with Yokohamas on our last MH, liked them a bunch.

We replaced the Michelins on this one with Bridgestones, like them a bunch too.

Notice we've never replaced a Michelin with another Michelin. There is a reason. :W
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
WAFlowers wrote:
....I recently moved from Michelin to Toyo...

I did that last summer. Michelins are over rated and over priced, plus, my dealer said he could not find any 295s.
2014 American Eagle

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I could find them, I would have nothing but Michelin on my coach. However, I have an older coach with tires that are hard to find. I have tires I am happy with on my coach now but there's simply nothing better that I have found than good 'ole Michelin's (or BF Goodrich made by Michelin). I have tried most all of them other than Toyo so I cannot speak for that brand.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
Been running Bridgestone tires on our rig now for 20 years with zero problems.

Good luck with your choice and safe travels.. ๐Ÿ™‚
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
6 years on toyo m144โ€™s 45000 miles . Minimum tread wear and sidewalls look like new. Had cracking Michelin tires prior. Michelin make rv specific tires by using less tread depth ( youโ€™ll never use all of a 150000 plus mile truck tire ) and softer sidewalks. I didnโ€™t like them and they were cracking at 5 years old .. put on by the prior owner. the toyo tires ride just as well. I was told the toyo was designed as a bus tire to take abuse that RVers like hitting and rubbing curbing. Preparing over the next couple years replacing with the same even thought they look perfect, just for peace of mind .
Bill

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Love my Michelins,, repleced 4 rear this year.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

WAFlowers
Explorer
Explorer
shadow65 wrote:
Thanks to both of you for your replies. I have never really thought about anything other than Michelins.

I'll add that Toyo are becoming very popular with truck fleet operators where price per mile driven and safety are both important.
Bill and Willemina Flowers
George, Sammy and Teddy (the dogpack)
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2005 Keystone Monata 3400rl (5/21/11 to 9/9/17)
(Was in a 2000 Coachmen Catalina Sport 220RK)

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced all 10 on my rig with Michelin's
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
WAFlowers wrote:
I recently moved from Michelin to Toyo. They stink for the first month or two (off-gassing) but they are sure-footed on dry and wet, have a more comfortable ride than Michelin and are cheaper than Michelin even if you have the FMCA discount.

I did as well and am very pleased. I have the M-154 Toyos.

Al

shadow65
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to both of you for your replies. I have never really thought about anything other than Michelins.
2015 Tiffin Allegro RED
2006 Honda Element Toad

WAFlowers
Explorer
Explorer
I recently moved from Michelin to Toyo. They stink for the first month or two (off-gassing) but they are sure-footed on dry and wet, have a more comfortable ride than Michelin and are cheaper than Michelin even if you have the FMCA discount.
Bill and Willemina Flowers
George, Sammy and Teddy (the dogpack)
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2005 Keystone Monata 3400rl (5/21/11 to 9/9/17)
(Was in a 2000 Coachmen Catalina Sport 220RK)

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a kid, Dick. Another 20 years before you slow down.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad