cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RVing in Deep South

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
With tropical storms getting ready to hit the Deep South, heavy rains 5-10 inches and extremely high winds, do or will you take your RV out for the Labor Day Weekend. I'm curious if there is any hard core RVers out there. I think I can handle the rain but, with the awning in, I would be worrying about damage to the slide toppers? Seems like this weather would be ideal for RVers without slides.
18 REPLIES 18

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I'll stay home this weekend. I really don't worry much about flooding but I hate to be stuck inside the coach all day. If it get to windy, the awning stays in and I can put the slides in too but when it rains a lot, I'd rather be home watching a movie.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
With tropical storms getting ready to hit the Deep South, heavy rains 5-10 inches and extremely high winds, do or will you take your RV out for the Labor Day Weekend. I'm curious if there is any hard core RVers out there. I think I can handle the rain but, with the awning in, I would be worrying about damage to the slide toppers? Seems like this weather would be ideal for RVers without slides.

J-Rooster, you could be a RVer with no slides too..... just keep those babies in!

Our current coach does not have slide toppers, I don't miss them as they would vibrate in the wind. But, we have another problem, I have to make sure nothing large, like a stick, etc., falls on top of the slide-out as it could damage our air seals.

So, I guess it's a 50-50 thing..... Slide toppers could get damaged or things could fall on my slide tops. I have a mirror on an extended handle to check the tops before I pull them in. A couple of times, I've had to clean them off.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Chances are you will be fine, but I would ere to the safe side and not go to the Gulf Coast right now.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We have had to move because the campground was flooded more then once and nothing ever happened to any of our slide toppers.