cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tow vehicle

placethefive
Explorer
Explorer
Recently purchased a small(25f) class c. Need help with a tow recommendation. would like the smallest,lightest, tow 4 on the groundI can get.
10 REPLIES 10

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
Manual transmission Subaru. It must be the manual transmission though.

OP said smallest and lightest. Unless you're towing a Subaru 360, that ain't it.

LINK
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Manual transmission Subaru. It must be the manual transmission though.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Smallest, lightest tow on the ground you can buy in the U.S. today is SmartForTwo from the Mercedes division of Daimler. You have to decide whether that meets your transportation needs.

Type 1 Volkswagen from 1940s to 1970s was just a light and might be more useful (four seats). Indeed, most of the 4-seat subcompact imports (and some 2-seat sports cars, Lotus Seven weighed only 800 pounds) for the 1960s were lighter than the SmartForTwo because they lacked all the extra safety and ease of use equipment now mandatory for automobiles sold new in the U.S. My 1965 Renault 8 was actually lighter than the VW of the same year, and got about 10 mpg better mileage.

But realistically, you don't need a 1200 pound tow, you can readily tow almost anything under 3500 pounds (which covers most modern subcompacts and some compacts) and you can probably tow 5000 pounds, which gets you into mid-size sedans (but maybe not SUVs).

I'm towing a 2500 pound Honda Fit, about the smallest class of car you can buy here with 4-5 seats. Before that I towed a 3500 pound compact pickup truck. Nissan and Scion (Toyota) sell similar size MPV, and a Fiesta hatchback comes close, but when I was buying in 2012 the DFit was the least ugly car it its class. I looked at the next size up, but a Focus hatch equipped the way I wanted it was 600 pounds heavier and cost $7000 more.

The vehicle you tow has to first meet your transportation needs. That might not be the smallest and lightest available.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2001 Blazer 4x4. Not light, but small, fits our family of 5 for exploring. And I don't care if it gets scrapped up if we go in the back country. Definately not the lightest, but fits all of our bills. Tows really nice 4 down. Once up to speed I really don't know it's back there. I usually set the cruise at 72~73ish mph. We ran in the hills of PA with it this summer and it really only slowed me down to 55mph on the free way, but that is expected with the lethargic Ford 2valve v-10 (sorry I am a GM guy). On the flats of MI and Ohio I have not problems pulling this. I am actually going to start pulling our 3 seat SeaDoo behind it as well.

golfknut
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a Honda Fit.
It's small but can carry a surprisingly large amount of cargo.
It's lightweight, very reliable, and a fun car to drive.

Must go with a pre-2015 model though as the newer ones can't be towed 4 wheels down.
2018 Newmar Canyon Star 3513

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Smart Car
Suzuki Samurai
Suzuki Sidekick
Suzuki Vitara
Chevy/GEO Tracker
Kia Sportage
VW Bug/Thing/Manx
Fiat X1/9
Fiat 2000
MG Midget
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
A Smart is smallest and lightest readily available car that can be flat towed....period.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are many different make/models of cars/SUV/trucks that are 4-down towable. You need to research and find one that suits your needs.

First, be aware that your Class C coach probably has a 5000 lbs tow limit....so that will reduce the selection a little bit. Also, keep in mind, the lighter the vehicle the better it will be to tow.

Jeeps are by far the most popular, followed by Honda CRVs (pre 2015), and then others that are mainly GM or Ford. Very few foreign car makers provide this capability.

We research extensively when we got our Terrain and the decision has turned out to be a good one.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Ron

PS...Need to get the terminology correct. A "tow vehicle" is one that does the towing such as your Class C. A "towed vehicle" (aka: toad, dinghy, frog), is one that you tow behind the tow vehicle.
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Healeyman
Explorer
Explorer
placethefive wrote:
Recently purchased a small(25f) class c. Need help with a tow recommendation.

For my money, the 2 seat, 5 or 6 speed manual transmission, 2,500 pound, Mazda Miata, We have towed 3 of them (2000, 2010, 2012) over 75,000 miles.

If you choose to go with a Miata, PM me and I can tell you all you'll need to know about set-up and towing. I have helped more than 100 others to get set up.

Tim

RetiredNavy
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 2013 Ford Focus with a Roadmaster All Terain tow bar. I can hook up or unhook in well under 5 minutes. And it tows 4 on the ground no problem
Terry & Nancy
Retired Navy

2016 Coachmen Concord
300DS Class C Motor Home