cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow Kits for TOAD

abrister
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 4x4 Jeep Wrangler Sport that I will be flat towing behind a Winnebago 32' Class C. Any recommendations on Tow Kits (tow bar, base plates, connections, etc). Due to injuries from Iraq I can not install the equipment on the Jeep so is it best to go to dealer or mechanic? Since I'm here, LOL, any good suggestions for out door carpet solutions? Thanks for any advice.
Bo and Jo Brister
Retired U.S. Army "Sapper"
6 Furry family members (Elphie, Army, Cinnabun, Maxx, Rosci and Manu)
2017 Minnie Winnie Class C
"Freedom is not free, it is because of our brave Military that we have Freedom today"
13 REPLIES 13

Olddud
Explorer
Explorer
I have Roadmaster equipment with Sterling tow bar on my Wrangler. Also Brake Buddy brake on Jeep.

There is a cable kit that you can get (forgot who - will find out if you want) that hooks the lights in the Jeep to the MH through the umbilical -- running, turn and brake. I chose to run that cable from the rear of the Jeep to the front through the frame rail of the Jeep - a little challenging, but nice result.

The Brake Buddy sends an air signal to the unit in the MH telling you when the brakes are applied. Not trusting that alone, I set up a microswitch off the Jeep brake pedal, and ran the wire through an unused wire in the umbilical to a red light I mounted on the MH dash. Now, when the Brake Buddy activates, I see the air signal, plus it being verified by the "microswitch" light. Also, I installed a dedicated outlet for the Brake Buddy near the left foot panel, not relying on the weak outlets the factory put in.

Finally, I ran a charge line from the MH to the Jeep to keep up with any Brake Buddy draw.

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Ready brute cost $980 plus base plate for the jeep.
searched for Base plate for jeep from $235 to $335 depending on on brand.
Amazon is your friend when searching and maybe buying.
Don't know how to link but you can cut and paste.

https://www.amazon.com/NSA-RV-Products-RB-9050-Ready/dp/B00IK56P1U/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1472690888&sr=8-4&keywords=ready+brake

I am disabled as well and with a little help installed the base plate on a 4-runner and the cable my son did for me. took all of about 2 hours total.

Lights are another thing and I went wireless, the sending unit can be permanently mounted to the rear of the tow rig or plugged in each time.

Nice thing is a base plate and the cable part on the rig and I can tow a different toad.

LEN

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
COST?

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the Ready Brute tow bar braking system. Once installed it is one xrta cable with a snap clip and no lugging a brake system in and out of the drivers side. You can use any base plate with this system as you order the correct attachment parts to go with the base plate. And it's cheaper than a tow bar and a braking system. Install cost should be little more than the base plate.

LEN

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar with a Roadmaster base plate. I have a 4 padlocks from Roadmaster that are keyed alike. The padlocks are American brand. The tow bar is also locked to the MH. I just want to make sure all the equipment stays hooked up to each other. I have the padlock key along with the Jeep keys so they are always in my pocket when traveling.

My wife is a great help in hitching up the toad. We both do the same step at the same time on opposite sides. We have it down to a routine. She is checking on me and I'm also watching her to make sure it is done correctly. Then once it is hitched we both look it over to make sure all things are hooked up properly and the locks are in place and locked. Then I install the RVI2 brake in the Jeep and check it out. I'll then go to the MH and have my wife watch the tow lights to make sure they are working properly. Then I well pull the MH ahead a little while my wife watches to make sure everything is ok. Then when we pull out I have my rear camera on watching the toad to make sure all is ok.

I feel we have done everything we can to ensure that it is hitched up correctly and we are ready to go.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Solo wrote:
I prefer to lock the towbar to our motorhome and to the toad while in towing mode.

I hear you. It seems prevention of vandalism ranks ahead of theft prevention. Unless it WAS you, I've heard of this before a time or two. Also, the fifth wheel unlocked with fivers.

If you decide to lock, have a key at the ready, "on a nail by the door," just in case you need to disconnect quickly. You don't want to have to shut the coach off, pull the key ring out, etc etc.

I have a Roadmaster Falcon coach-mounted bar now. And a nice toad-mounted Duncan EasAliner 2000 that's now excess. Falcon's locked to the coach at the receiver, so far I don't lock the pins on the toad end. It'd take four locks. With the Duncan, one lock at the toad's baseplate and one at the hitch ball. Theft of a Roadmaster toad-mounted towbar? I think locks would only slow somebody a little bit. Those four 1/2" bolts are right there...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps this is not a concern for you but, just something else to consider-How easy and quick is the tow bar and/or braking system to lock, disconnect and then reconnect? I prefer to lock the towbar to our motorhome and to the toad while in towing mode. I am very disciplined about checking the set-up each time I get ready to pull out from a stop and did find that a pin had been pulled from my towbar after a stop at a shopping mall several years ago. Fortunately I found it missing and replaced with a spare before leaving but, from then on, I lock them. However, I wanted a set-up that I could unlock quickly and pull the toad away in a few moments. If this is a concern, check with other owners of the type of set-up you are considering and see what they do and how long it takes or easy it is to secure.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I used blue ox Aventa II towbar and a brake buddy. would recommend both.
and buy a RV carpet, not the cheap fake grass IO one.
bumpy

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ready Brute Elite is an interesting alternative. Aluminum coach-mounted towbar with braking built in.

You can use most brands and models within those brands of baseplates with most other brands and models of towbars. One baseplate may mount more easily, less invasive, or connect to your towbar at a better height than another.

Blue Ox, Roadmaster, Demco, NSA (Ready Brute) are common popular towbars. Blue Ox, Roadmaster and Demco pretty much make up the baseplates.

Or if you want the Jeeper Look, you can get a vehicle-mounted towbar and leave it on your Jeep. The Roadmaster Stowmaster is the best known of those.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

abrister
Explorer
Explorer
thank everyone for their advice. after a little more research (and a few beers LOL) i think the blue ox system may be best. Dealership didn't recommend aux brake system so I think that I may need to look at that also. Does the spending ever stop...
Bo and Jo Brister
Retired U.S. Army "Sapper"
6 Furry family members (Elphie, Army, Cinnabun, Maxx, Rosci and Manu)
2017 Minnie Winnie Class C
"Freedom is not free, it is because of our brave Military that we have Freedom today"

petrel
Explorer
Explorer
We just equipped an '08 Wrangler Unlimited X for a tow up to AK. We selected the Blue Ox, tow bar and base plate, and use the Mopar wiring harness that sets up the jeep for towing lights without modifications. Used M&G brakes because I wanted to utilize the MH's air braking system to keep things simple.

The BlueOx setup was super easy to hook up/disconnect, and the mopar harness did its job. The air braking system was silly easy to use too, one hose-two quick disconnects. The whole setup took a real beating on the 11,000 mile trip and other than some scuffed up paint on the tow bar, there doesn't seem to be any sign of fatigue.

With regard to the installation: I think selecting a guy who is familiar with the equipment, authorized by the manufacturer, and does the installations every day for a living, is the way to go.
43' Renegade/Coronado '06
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
After doing much research on baseplates for my Explorer I went to my local well known, trusted hitch shop to arrange for purchase and instillation. He said nice but how about. To make the story short, this man knows his business, has been around for many years, he was the one going to do the install, so I took his suggestion. If your doing the work yourself, it's a whole different story. But just saying.

jgellis586
Explorer
Explorer
I just had a blue ox tow kit installed with the patriot braking system.
I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler sport towing it 4 down.
And thank you for your service.