cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hit a tree in the rv park

David0725
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well it was a great weekend camping at jetty park at Cape Canaveral. But I had a oops moment as soon as a i got there. I have been back my rvs up for many years now and consider my self a simi pro at it. So I pull to the sit the " holds a 39foot rv" I do what i have been doing for many years I back up get the rear tires on the slab line my with the edge then back up looking out the drivers side till i get the front tires on the slab. This time as soon as my front tires hit the slab i give i little gas to bump it on. Little it I realized there was a tell palm tree dead center for the slab about a foot from it. Needless to say as soon as I pump the gas to get over the slab I hit the tree ruining the bumper of my RV. I have to say I've been doing this for a long time never once as I seen a tree park in the back of a slab in the dead center Outback close. Normally I would hang the RV over the back of the slab by about 6 or 8 feet Soma water and electric lines up. So yes I blame myself for not noticing that tree but at the same time I'm thinking who in the world would put a tree dead center of a camping pad that was supposedly rated for a 39 foot and -36 foot. Had I not put the front wheels on the slab the front of the motorhome would have been in the street.
1994 Holiday Rambler Imperial DP
1999 Honda Accord V6 Toad
43 REPLIES 43

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
westernrvparkowner wrote:
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
Pogoil wrote:
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
Wow, give the poor guy a break. We all make mistakes. Sorry about your mishap, glad it was not worse and you get it fixed properly 🙂

And as for the kid comment...nobody's "kid" should be playing, cutting through or running around a Site that they are not assigned to and that someone is backing up in. Totally uncalled for.

Try telling this to the bus load of attorneys when you mangle someones child.

You will lose the case!

Pogoil.

The original post was deleted, I did not quote it...so back off! Nobody is mowing down kids in an RV park.
they are quoting YOU!. You were the one who posted "nobody's "kid" should be playing, cutting through or running around a Site that they are not assigned to". This poster is pointing out that if someone hits a kid, it won't matter if they are supposed to be there or not. Won't matter if it happens when you are backing into an RV site or backing out of your driveway. Children are not considered responsible enough to know where they should and should not be, so adults will always bear the legal consequences should you hit a kid with your vehicle. Saying they shouldn't have been there will not be a valid defense.

This is simply not true.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
Pogoil wrote:
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
Wow, give the poor guy a break. We all make mistakes. Sorry about your mishap, glad it was not worse and you get it fixed properly 🙂

And as for the kid comment...nobody's "kid" should be playing, cutting through or running around a Site that they are not assigned to and that someone is backing up in. Totally uncalled for.

You will lose the case!

Pogoil.

The original post was deleted, I did not quote it...so back off! Nobody is mowing down kids in an RV park.
they are quoting YOU!. You were the one who posted "nobody's "kid" should be playing, cutting through or running around a Site that they are not assigned to". This poster is pointing out that if someone hits a kid, it won't matter if they are supposed to be there or not. Won't matter if it happens when you are backing into an RV site or backing out of your driveway. Children are not considered responsible enough to know where they should and should not be, so adults will always bear the legal consequences should you hit a kid with your vehicle. Saying they shouldn't have been there will not be a valid defense.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
Pogoil wrote:
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

You will lose the case!

Pogoil.

Pogoil
Explorer
Explorer
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:

You will lose the case!

Pogoil.

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I was at a real nice upscale RV Resort that requires a $2,000 membership fee. You should have seen all the sign posts (camping spot numbers) that were knocked over.

I pulled into my spot and had 3 people watching and guiding me. The camping pad was 36' long for a 35' motor home with a huge tree at the end. I could see the tree but the spotter sure helped me get close enough to keep the rear out of the road.

Stuff happens. Like the time I checked the spot twice as I backed in and did not see the lantern hanger sticking up 6' on a tree until it pushed in the rear of the trailer.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
booty51 wrote:
Brave soul for posting this on this site! You set yourself up to be chastised by some when trying to relay a message by telling your fellow RV'rs to be careful when initially pulling into rv space. We all have all probably bumped into something with these big rigs or in the least had a close call! Thank you for wanting to warn us all! As for I ,I still have not mastered walking on water as of yet.

I liked his post until he posted that he had gotten the CG to pay for the repair. Another example of the "great society" where you are not responsible for your actions. How many other people have used this site over 20+ years without bending their bumper?
PS: I'm still able to barefoot water ski. Does that count?
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
booty51 wrote:
,I still have not mastered walking on water as of yet.

Some of us have.. It's not a big deal. Keep practicing

:B
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
Brave soul for posting this on this site! You set yourself up to be chastised by some when trying to relay a message by telling your fellow RV'rs to be careful when initially pulling into rv space. We all have all probably bumped into something with these big rigs or in the least had a close call! Thank you for wanting to warn us all! As for I ,I still have not mastered walking on water as of yet.

lots2seeinmyrv
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
But those poor trees, boulders, water spigots...hundreds.

Don't forget tail swing damaging a power pedestal. 😮

Yep, I always tell my DH "watch your tail"! I even get out and watch him pull out of a gas station every time we fill up. Takes me 20 seconds. If he can't see me in his mirror..he doesn't move.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
The damage is done, and a lesson was learned. I think he did an excellent job of learning the lesson. Life,.....nobody said it was easy.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
David0725 wrote:
Well if this makes it any better my cousin was standing right next to the tree guiding me. I did look around and there was no one in sight not even my cousin at the time.

Oh, Lordy.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
If a child or other person got behind a Motorhome backing into a spot, they would have to be severely impaired in some way to get run over. I don't think I have ever seen a fast back in, so it would be a slow torcherous death!

Yes it was the op's own fault and he admits it, He probably learned from that like the rest of us.

Op is the flavor of the day, he must be chastised. NOT!!
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
That's why you should always GET OUT AND LOOK.

X2 on this. even when I have "parking assistance" I always get out and look first, which occasionally irritates the parking asst.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
But those poor trees, boulders, water spigots...hundreds.

Don't forget tail swing damaging a power pedestal. 😮