cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

balancing tires

stargirl96
Explorer
Explorer
We were talking to a tire dealer who said he would put some new tires on our Winnebago. We were surprised when he said he doesn't balance or align MH tires. This is a newbie question, but is this unusual?
11 REPLIES 11

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Use Balancing Beads--------------regardless of tire size you will be happy.
Different amount of beads per tire depending on tire size.
Never have to worry about balancing that tire again.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the tire shop was thinking about Class A tires. Class A tires, especially the 22.5" tires, are difficult to handle, align and balance, and they weigh a lot. When I had my DP Class A, I went to a truck tire shop for new tires. They were able to align the front tires and I put beads in the front tires for balancing.

Now, when you have a Class C coach, you move into the "smaller truck" sized tires, like 16", a whole lot easier to handle than the 22.5's. The tires are easier to mount, align and balance. Just about any tire shop could mount and balance them, but you might have to search for an alignment place.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
yes, balance them. You won't like it if you don't.. We just put on all 6 tires on our C. The tire shop included the balancing and alignment check no charge.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

HuckleberryHunt
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with the others. When I got new tires for the travel trailer at Les Schwab I asked to have them balanced. Got the same answer as above that they usually don't balance trailer tires. I said I wanted it done and so they did with no more argument.
2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Light truck tires are balanced (or should be). An unbalanced tire/wheel in a motorhome is every bit as unwanted in a motorhome as in a car.

At least around here, most tire shops wouldn't do an alignment by default, and many don't do alignments at all (especially for large vehicles like motorhomes). If the handling was acceptable with the old tires and they weren't wearing excessively or in an uneven manner, I wouldn't worry about the alignment; there's no reason to suspect it's incorrect. If, on the other hand, you have alignment-related issues, then doing the alignment regardless of whether new tires are needed or not seems to me to make sense.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I've not heard anything so rediculous. That guy should not be in business mounting tires on motor vehicles. Period.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
Have the tires balanced.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Get away from that tire dealer.
He is taking care of himself. He does NOT have your best interest at heart.
Then post a review of the dealer at rvservicereviews.com so others can avoid that dealer
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
New guy at the tire store told me he didn't balance TT tires. I told him you will these. He argued, I told him to take them off my rim. He balanced them. Store owner agreed with me.

Thing is. Your money, your rules. Tell him to balance them, or go to another shop.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a different dealer. I used balancing beads in the last coach DP, on all six tires, really ran smooth. I would also go to an Alignment shop that knows motor homes. The present are smaller tires and they used weights on all six again, C class. I would have it aligned with new tires a good under $200 investment both in safety and tire life.

LEN

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think so, at least the balancing. The tire dealer I regularly use sells balancing for light to medium duty truck tires as well as including it on as part of passenger car tire sales.

But this shop does not do wheel alignment as part of a tire sale, that is a separate service. Not all tire shops are equipped to do wheel alignment on a vehicle as large as a motorhome, and if they sell that service the work is usually farmed out to a truck wheel alignment shop that has the large service bays and heavy equipment needed.

I last bought motorhome tires through a truck alignment shop. Balancing was included in the sale price, as was a wheel alignment check. If the alignment check showed the need for adjustments, that service would have been extra cost.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B