Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVs are High!!! The Conclusion!!

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
All,

A month or so ago I posted a thread on suggestions about being able to utilize my RV garage for a class A. (thread here) The ceiling has a low portion of 11' 7", and the door opening goes 12'. In the far end, the width changes to 9' 6". Most RVs, especially newer models, have the A/C on the roof, making their max height well over 12' 5", and some to 13'. The pre 2009 Winnebagos and others had residential air in the basements, which made their max height 11' 6" to the "highest standard feature". Through the 8 pages of the thread, I recieved a lot of thoughts and suggestions. Thanks to everybody, I appreciate it.

After measuring and checking and measuring and checking, our first pick to begin with, a Winnebago Journey. We finally bit the bullet and bought one (luckely without the satellite dome)drove it back to Colorado and after about 30 minutes of work, got it to fit in the garage.....Talk about a stressful exercise!!

I have a finger width of room between the side view camera and the wall on the passenger side and a finger width of room between the drivers mirro and wall on the opposite side. I am going to notch out my drywall to give me another 3/4" of clearance for the camera to allow for the coach tipping on the airbags if it does.

Here are some shots:

Jeff
Retired AF, retired contractor, really retired!
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H 350hp Cat
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad with Air Force One
85 REPLIES 85

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
jhilley wrote:
I always back in so that exiting in an emergency is easier. You have to back up to get out any way. With the mirror pulled in maybe it isn't useable. Hope his wife is better at guiding than mine is.

The wife has been doing an outstanding job....however, I am finding out that her definition of "you're good, you have lots of room" is a bit different than mine. Her "lots of room" translates to my "Carefull, you are really close.":D

jeff
Jeff

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Pauljdav wrote:
Believe it or not backing in would be easier. ...snip....an inch on each side.

Pauljdav, I just don't see how backing in is easier, especially, for the OP and his circumstances. His tight spot is at the back of the garage with only an inch on one side. His turning wheels are obviously in the front which will make it much easier to correct an error as he reaches the tight area.

.....snip...
This guy (OP) has no room for error.

MM.

I think I am going to stay away from this. Moving the front over an inch, probably moves the back end five or more. In the end, I think backing in is really out of the question due to the slope of the driveway the top of the ladder would certainly hit the top of the garage door opening.

jeff
Jeff

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
One other option would be some well placed photo sensors connected to a very loud buzzer. You can only look at so many things at the same time, so an audible warning would just tell you to stop, before damage is done.
IRV2

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with Scott. While congratulations are in order to squeeze that baby in there, it will get old pretty quickly. I had a similar situation with my home in California. I could only back the Winnie into the side yard because of a couple pine trees. After doing it probably 100 times, I finally tagged the wall and boy was I POed..at myself. I really dreaded both leaving and coming home but the middle was awesome!...I would see if I could add some wiggle room to the garage....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

PatStab
Explorer
Explorer
Well I couldn't do it. We just built an 18 X 44 motorhome garage. Has a 16 foot door. Hubby has shelves lining the wall on one side, they will be moved but not yet as we are having another garage built onto the back of his normal one.

Thankfully its big enough as I have to back it in with no one to help. My only problem is getting it to far back. We haven't gotten it wired yet so no lights. I need to set a flashlight or something back there to make sure I'm not to far back. But I could never get it in something that small. Our motorhome port at the other house was 13 wide so still easy but had to dodge around a tree.

Good luck, hope you never hit anything, would hate for you to mess it up.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Well Mr Spizzer,
I as well as all others on here have commended you for greasing that thing into such a tight space. But, while it went well this time, the possibility of damage is high based on that kind of limited clearance. Backing without mirrors (I assume you won't be turning yours out 'till you're completely out of the barn) is one pain in the a$$.

Lake Havasu city has many homes built with RV garages already attached. Some are narrow, (not nearly as narrow as yours), some are pleasantly wide and, some are actually double wide. So far, you've not commented on if you plan on keeping your RV garage the way it is or, plans on doing something about it. I've parked fire trucks in tight spaces my whole life and while you acquire a nack for it, the potential for a mishap, is ALWAYS there.

Your clearances are so close that there's almost "0" room for error or, even any slight variations in the coach stance. If, you park it, and you don't drive it for say, a month, and the air bags leak, which they all do at, at various rates, and, it starts to lean even in the slightest amount, based on your pictures, you've got almost no room to compensate for any type of lean, in either direction.

I'm not trying to cast dispersions on your situation. Again, I commend you for shoe-horning that thing in there. But, to do that each and every time, to me, would get old incredibly fast. Let me ask you this, is there any room, in the pocket book or, even on the outside of the structure, for expansion? I know and realize that expanding that garage would be one serious pain but, you'd only have to do it one time and, from that point on, you're parking your nice rig would be seriously easier and, backing it out would be cake. Just some thoughts here.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
It may be of of benefit to permanently mount mirrors in strategic places in the garage. There may be a time when it is impossible to have help backing out, or pulling in. Maybe even a wireless camera inside the garage with the monitor in your coach. Permanently mount the camera in the top of the doorway aimed straight down, or slightly forward. You could even paint guide stripes on the floor, so there is good contrast to help you see and line things up.
IRV2

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
I always back in so that exiting in an emergency is easier. You have to back up to get out any way. With the mirror pulled in maybe it isn't useable. Hope his wife is better at guiding than mine is.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Pauljdav wrote:
Believe it or not backing in would be easier. I had a very tight parking spor with my first MH. Now I have a trailer and I almost never park my dually nose first. I always back in. Try it in parking spots at the mall and you will see what I am talking about.

My neighbor has a super tight spot and he always backs in. I swear the fence he pulls through is less than an inch on each side.

Pauljdav, I just don't see how backing in is easier, especially, for the OP and his circumstances. His tight spot is at the back of the garage with only an inch on one side. His turning wheels are obviously in the front which will make it much easier to correct an error as he reaches the tight area.

I have a rental garage that is 13x50 and I pull in driving forward. It is so much easier as I can see where I'm going vs. backing in. I don't need a spotter pulling forward and would need one if backing in (just for safety).

This guy (OP) has no room for error.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
Believe it or not backing in would be easier. I had a very tight parking spor with my first MH. Now I have a trailer and I almost never park my dually nose first. I always back in. Try it in parking spots at the mall and you will see what I am talking about.

My neighbor has a super tight spot and he always backs in. I swear the fence he pulls through is less than an inch on each side.

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Having grown up on the farm manuvering all kinds of big stuff in tight quarters and susequently selling farm equipment and continuing to do so, I admire your parking skills. The key is slow and steady and have that spotter. You have already fiquered that out. Slow and steady and you will be fine.

You will need to ensure that you are centered on the garage at the bottom of the driveway so that you are square to it and not turning as you come in. You can put a paint spot down at the beginning of the driveway to ensure you are properly positioned and then it is just straight ahead - SLOWLY.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
tandkj wrote:
Folks, he didn't pull in he built the structure around the parked MH. Next time I want to see him back in and then get out.

Ha! You figured it out.....

Before I got this thing home and saw how tight it was, I was thinking the way to go is to back in so I could use the dump station. Now I realize that would be a real disaster waiting to happen. It is hard enough doing it nose in!!

jeff
Jeff

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
The one thing that will KILL you is having a dead battery while in the garage. ............clip.... consider a watering system for the batteries so you can keep them topped off without needing to pull out the coach.

I am lucky in that regard. My battery trays are on the open side. I plan on leaving it plugged in a lot to keep the batteries up. I have already opened that bay and pulled out the battery trays.

jeff
Jeff

Spizzer
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Jeff, I bet the previous owner backed his unit in so the sewer is on the correct side. With the space being so tight for your coach, I don't think I would attempt a 'back-in'..... and, you would not be able to get out of the coach anyway as the door would be so close to the wall.

Mark

Mark, I think you are right. I believe he had a small class-c to start with. Both electrical hookups and sewer dump are set up for a back in. There is now and added 50 amp service on the wall side, but just outside the garage door. I am not sure why he put it there...? I wish it was on the inside. I will have to have the power cable go under the door. You can see it in that first picture.

jeff
Jeff

tandkj
Explorer
Explorer
Folks, he didn't pull in he built the structure around the parked MH. Next time I want to see him back in and then get out.
Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.