cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe-T-Plus

txhood
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about adding this steering stabilizer to my rig. It is a 24' coach on a Ford E350 chassis. The chassis came with a stabilizer from the factory but I still have lots of issues with constant steering input being needed. Also, issues with trucks pushing me around. The front end alignment has been checked and the tire pressures are correct. My rig is only one year old. Would the Safe-T-Plus be that much of an improvement over the stock stabilizer?
12 REPLIES 12

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really do not like the idea of asking the power steering to do more than it was designed to do. Specifically, to continually have to overcome stiff springs or hydraulics added aftermarket. Particularly if the vehicle has no power steering oil cooler. Only rationale I can come with to defend the extra resistance is that RV service is usually long periods of straight ahead driving punctuated with parking at the end of the day. Delivery service would be the opposite, maneuvering all the time.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Handbasket wrote:
I had a squirrely-driving '99/00 Dodge 3500 Ram Van class B early on in my RV'ing. It had about 55k miles on it when I tried a Safe-T-Plus on it. About 500 miles later, the power steering pump failed totally, with no warning, just after getting off a curvy stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I can't prove a link, but I have no doubt the S-T-P caused the failure. It had made _no_ difference in the driving issues I was trying to fix.

Dodge power steering pump failures are a common complaint when using Safe-T-Plus. The power steering pump used in the E-seires is used in much heavier applications and also includes a fluid cooler, so I don't think you would ever have a similar problem in a Ford.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
I had a squirrely-driving '99/00 Dodge 3500 Ram Van class B early on in my RV'ing. It had about 55k miles on it when I tried a Safe-T-Plus on it. About 500 miles later, the power steering pump failed totally, with no warning, just after getting off a curvy stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I can't prove a link, but I have no doubt the S-T-P caused the failure. It had made _no_ difference in the driving issues I was trying to fix.

Jim, "Don't forget to feed Schrodinger's cat before you go out."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
txhood wrote:
My camber is set at 3.6. The alignment shop refused to set it any higher. The mechanic said it would cause the steering wheel not to return to center after turns if it was set at >5. They said it met Ford specs and that was all they were willing to do.

Profitability trumps customer satisfaction. :B

Caster is what makes the steering return to center after a turn. 🙂

BTW, Ford caster spec is about +1.5 to +7.5.

txhood
Explorer
Explorer
My camber is set at 3.6. The alignment shop refused to set it any higher. The mechanic said it would cause the steering wheel not to return to center after turns if it was set at >5. They said it met Ford specs and that was all they were willing to do.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I had Safe-T-Plus for while, for a little more car-like on-center feel, not because I had any handling problems.

It worked, however it had a big flaw... The coil cover traps mud and causes the spring to rust. When the spring breaks, it binds inside the cover, and causes the bracket to rip the bolts from the frame. I had to have the frame repaired to re-mount the sway-bar. I now don't have a damper. If I ever put one back on, it would not be a Safe-T-Plus. RoadMaster has a similar unit, but without the rust-trapping dust cover. It looks like it would not be susceptible to the problem I had. I think I had it on for about 120,000 miles before it failed. I think they have a life-time warranty, but I didn't want to risk the same failure.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
The device provided OEM by Ford is a horizontally-mounted shock absorber. My term for it is Steering Damper and resists sudden movement of the steering. Add coil springs to push the steering back toward center and I call it a Steering Stabilizer. There's another brand called Steer Safe that's a collection of brackets with coil springs to resist wheel movement. Mounts out at the steering knuckles and doesn't include a hydraulic cylinder.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Check out this post and the link in it:

http://forums.goodsamclub.com/Index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26369398/gotomsg/26369586.cfm#26369586
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

wearenh
Explorer
Explorer
I had already done the Ingalls caster bushing alignment, 6 new tires, Firestone Airbags, and an Equalizer WDH, and they all made things better, almost good enough .... the Safe-T-Plus made it perfect... Wheel returns to center, drives straight on highway, no whiteknuckles being passed by busses...
2007 Gulf Stream 6211 (21' Shorty) Ford E350 V10
sometimes with #14 Racecar (18' KwikLoad Rollback)
sometimes with two gaited horses (Featherlite 9407)
sometimes just us camping with our dogs

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I recently added a Roadmaster steering stabilizer to my 24' E450. I can't really tell that it made any difference. I started out by adding a stiffer front stabilizer bar and noticed little difference; however, my E-450 is rather light since I'm only 24' long. Last year I added a rear track bar and that made a world of difference in the amount that I get pushed around by wind, trucks, and my toad. If I had an E-350, I'd add a rear track bar and stabilizer bar. I might add a stiffer front stabilizer bar too. Early on, I added more caster as Harvard mentions and that helped some as well. The Roadmaster steering stabilizer has a return-to-center spring like the Safe-T-Plus; however, the spring is external on the Roadmaster unit.

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
Harvard wrote:
txhood wrote:
The front end alignment has been checked and the tire pressures are correct.

What was the front end caster set at? Should be > 5 degrees for best highway speed handling. IMO

X2 That would be the first thing I would check. Get your coach weighed loaded as you normally travel and then take serious look at your tire pressure. As far as the movement you are feeling when the big trucks blow by there is nothing wrong. They are 80,000# going 75 or 80, trust me there will always be a serious "bow wave" of wind and it will move you. Keep one eye in that outside mirror as there is usually a lot more surprise than actual movement generated.

I doubt a new E-350 needs any additional equipment to provide a smooth and steady ride. If it did Ford would have done so. Our 2012 E-350 drives and rides just fine but we are well under our weight limits, properly balanced, with the correct psi, all of which make a huge difference. :C

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
txhood wrote:
The front end alignment has been checked and the tire pressures are correct.

What was the front end caster set at? Should be > 5 degrees for best highway speed handling. IMO