cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

satellite cable

olly72
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all: Have a traveler direct tv satellite dish. Have isolated a cable problem. The cable from the Cable Entry Plate to the receiver is bad. Does anyone know where that plate is located on my 2008 Itasca Sunrise. Thanks
2008 Itasca Sunrise 32H
Brake Buddy
2005 Chevy Malibu toad
tank7234@comcast.net
7 REPLIES 7

olly72
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. Being the meathead that I am I forgot to disconnect the power converter the ground satellite used. Once I removed that from the cable everything works.
2008 Itasca Sunrise 32H
Brake Buddy
2005 Chevy Malibu toad
tank7234@comcast.net

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Coyote74 wrote:
Usually in fresh water/sewage port connection bay, it is on my 2003 adventurer.
X-2, This is where it is at on my 04 Winnebago.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You said the cable from the cable entry plate to the receiver.

The cable entry plate is where you connect the park cable or satellite LNB lead (not both) so in order to determine the cable is bad you HAVE to know where that is.

HOWEVER.. There may be another plate.

On many RV's there is only one cable connnection outside.. This is for Park Cable, NOT for Sattelite.. It is possible to "Re-task" it but it requires work and I personally do NOT suggest you do this.

Here is how:
You have, somewhere in the RV, either a Box of many buttons (Multi-Switch) which directs different signals to several different TV's. Park Cable, Sat, Antenna, DVD or Blue ray and more... IF you have one of these, the cable runs to the back side of the box.

The other optiona (And the cable again runs to the back side) is a wall plate, These come in 2 flavors now days.. Most likely is a wall plate with a 12 volt outlet, Switch, (The one that turns on the antenna by the way) a light and an antenna connector.. Park cable is the middle connector on the rear.

The other is a Winegard Sensar pro.. CABLE lead is labeled on the rear (Wall plate with two digital displays, 3 buttons and a column of LED lights, touching any button lights it up in most cases top one moves the LED)

The reason I do not suggest you do this:
Cable is usually el-cheapo (lowest bidder) RG-59, I have around 50 feet of it, that is equal to over 200 FEET of quality RG-6 as far as signal loss is concerned.

What I recommend: I installed nice good quality RG-6.

Someone up-thread mentioned the quality of the crimp on "F" connectors they use on these cables... HE... was understating the issues with these sneeze to remove cable ends. They are suspect #1 in a cable failure and only one time have I ever gotten to a #2 (And that was the fitting it screwed onto)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Coyote74
Explorer
Explorer
Usually in fresh water/sewage port connection bay, it is on my 2003 adventurer.
Joe Taylor , Good Sam Life Member
FMCA #285032
2004 Winnebago Adventurer 38R

Life's a trip, RVing makes it an incredible journey.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"olly"....we need more info. The Travlr typically comes with three cables as supplied by Winegard. There are two coax cables and one control cable. In a typical installation with one receiver, the coax cable runs directly from the satellite to the receiver. The other cable is stubbed off inside the coach. The control cable runs directly to the sat control box.

I've owned and installed two Travlr's. When I had issues with the signal, I found loosening and then tightening the cable at the satellite base solved the issue.

We need more info, like, does your cable run to connection plates before it reaches the receiver..
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
Are you trying to use the cable for the cable TV or roof antenna? If so that may be your problem. Most antenna and cable connections on a RV have splitter's in the line for multiple locations. A cable run for a satellite dish has to have a run form the dish to the receiver.

I would suggest you run a new cable from the dish to the receiver.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
In almost all above ground cable installations, almost every time the issue is with the termination on one end. It is extremely rare for it to be in the cable inside the wall (unless it had a flaw when run or you had some work done and a screw etc nicked the cable). Start by having the ends reterminated.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com