cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite radio antenna

k9dad
Explorer
Explorer
Am considering a portable xm radio for my 2011 Flleetwood Southwind. My dash is not horizontal, rather it slopes down several feet. Has anyone tried sticking the antenna at the bottom of the interior window? Will I still get any type of reception. There is a lot of clear window to receive a signal. I would prefer to do this as an alternative to drilling a hole in the roof. Any suggestions would be of great help !!!
10 REPLIES 10

uncle_t
Explorer
Explorer
I taped a 12 x 12 piece of thin sheet metal to the top of the driver side slide and stick the magnetized antenna to it. signal comes through the roof strongly.
2020 Integra 36U
can am spyder or can am commander
BE PREPARED- NEVER BRING A KNIFE TO A GUNFIGHT.

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We did the loose on the dash for a while with generally good results. When I picked up an antenna for the MH specifically, I mounted it inside a front upper cabinet above the dash, right against the fiberglass of the front cap. The only time I lose reception is going through the Columbia River Gorge when the road hugs the cliffs.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
JohnQ wrote:
What type of roof is your coach. My Safari has a Filon/Fiberglass roof. My Sat Radio antenna just sits on top of the TV/Entertainment cabinet. Signal passes through just fine.

Same with our Itasca Horizon.

Same with my Foretravel. I just pushed it up between the headliner and the insulation behind and above the drivers seat from the cabinet above and beside the drivers area.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
We use this mirror mount antenna
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a clean install, run the cable up the left or right "A" pillar. A lot of times you don't even need to remove them, just pull the pillar cover back and slip the wire inside.

Place the antenna in the cavity above the windshield. It will shoot a signal through most roofs.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
JohnQ wrote:
What type of roof is your coach. My Safari has a Filon/Fiberglass roof. My Sat Radio antenna just sits on top of the TV/Entertainment cabinet. Signal passes through just fine.

Same with our Itasca Horizon.

JohnQ
Explorer
Explorer
1997 Safari Serengeti M-4040 Cat 300 &
2002 Jetti TDI & 2004 Ford Explorer Limited V8 Toads

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
I use this Sirius indoor/outdoor antenna in our B+ on the dash, after moving the receiver from our toad. This receiver is similar to the one I switch back and forth. Our Phaeton is factory equipped with a built-in Sirius radio. I have bought radio mounts on Amazon also.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pro car stereo shops will run it out under the windshield trim, and it's permanent, waterproof and best of all, it works.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
I have done it two ways. Placed it loose on the dash tight to windshield. Works fine. I also ran it out the window and stuck the magnet to the windshield wiper. Worked when dry.