cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Satellite TV versus internet

flyboykuao
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I am a new RV owner. I am hoping someone has been through this before and can offer tips:
My class A has a manual crank satellite dish installed on the roof, but it is not setup for the TV. I talked to my provider, DISH, who recommend a tailgate package with a portable satellite that will automatically find the satellite. The cost is under $400 and $7 per month.

I am considering, however, going with internet TV. We are in wifi-enabled parks at least 50% of the time - which is plenty enough for my TV habits.

Do you use either option (dish or internet) and how does it work for you?

Thanks in advance.
33 REPLIES 33

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
An antenna works well for watching the news or most network stations.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I would say that relying on park WiFi to stream is risky. But then so is finding a clear line of sight through a bunch of trees for satellite. BTDT.

I'd roll the dice on the satellite. I've been able to aim my dish in spots where there was no hope of streaming many times.

Just my .02
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few RV parks who have upgraded to streaming quality internet but they are the minority. I think that is the future as it will let them dump cable TV but that is still down the road. At the time sat TV is still the most reliable way to have TV. I don't go camping to watch TV BUT I do like to watch the news with my morning coffee. Sat does the trick for me. We used to have a manual dish. Exercise in frustration. Auto dish is a pleasure to have. Dish will let you watch if you have to dry camp.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Parks that might offer wifi will usually either have streaming resteictions or the band width is so low you will be lucky to get on to even check email.
Get a automatic dome, take your Dish receiver with you from home. No additional cost.