cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Schrader Valve Extension Problem

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2004 E450 rear duals have a braided flexible valve extenders.

The problem is one of the braids has been cut by a sharp edge in the wheel cover and we are basically on the road.

So, while I want to replace these extensions with Tire Man or Borg rigid type it is not in the cards until we get on home turf.

So my question is, are these braided flexible extenders pressured up all the time OR only when the outer valve is pushed in?

If they are pressured up all the time then my only remedy on the raod is going to be to remove them. The tire is NOT LEAKING as it presently sits BUT I do not know how much damage there is beyound the frayed braid outer layer.
23 REPLIES 23

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Harvard,

Mine were pressurized. I know mine could not be put on without removing the outer wheel. I thought they were a bad choice from day one.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies.

A follow up question:

Can these extenders be removed WITHOUT removing the (dual) wheels?

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
On my previous RV they were pressurized and when one leaked it was hissing. I got lucky and caught it but I will never have those ever again.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its_Hondo wrote:
I thought that the extenders opened the schrader valve of the valve stem when they were screwed on?

That's how mine worked! On my current motorhome, I have the 135 degree steel extenders, and they open the valve too. I prefer the steel extenders as there is no flexing going down the road.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that the extenders opened the schrader valve of the valve stem when they were screwed on?
2005 Fleetwood Jamboree 22B

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the previous post. I had the extenders on my previous motorhome and the braid was getting frayed from rubbing on the wheel also. I bought a short section of heater hose from Napa, cut a slit in them, and slipped them over the braided line. Never had any problem with them leaking. As was stated, you will need to see how deep the braided line is cut. Since it's not leaking, it sounds like it hasn't cut into the rubber air tubing. My lines had pressure out to the valve cap.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on if or not there are two valve cores. Mostly there will be 2, so no...the braided hose will not be under pressure.......

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
Some are pressured and some are not. I'm not sure you can tell without taking one off. With a non-pressured one, you can push on the little stem that protrudes from the valve core and see similar action at the other end.

Its_Hondo
Explorer
Explorer
Move the line away from the area that is cutting it and take a closeup photo with your digital camera.

I use my cameras all of the time to get up close when I can't.

If the braiding is just a bit frayed, you could slip a piece of hose (that is slit open with a sharp utility knife) over the extension to protect it until you get home.

I think the pressure is right up to the end of the extender..
2005 Fleetwood Jamboree 22B