cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seasonality of used RV pricing

milkman41
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any seasonality to used RV pricing? Example, Canadians who want to get a new one next year and just leave their rig in AZ in the spring. After the California RV show in Oct when all the new ones come out,etc.
16 REPLIES 16

NorthOrSouth
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
And that the trick---access to the cash......hard to get a used or older one financed. So if you have the funds you are in the drivers seat---literally. Banks don't even want to sit on their repos for long.

Very true. Ive bought all my American vehicles with cash of course. Amazing how much you can swing a deal when you say "I have all the cash for my offer in my pocket."

Note, this also works well if you are trying to convince the wife to go on a trip and shes thinking about shopping lol.

And that the trick---access to the cash......hard to get a used or older one financed. So if you have the funds you are in the drivers seat---literally. Banks don't even want to sit on their repos for long.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually deals can be found almost any time of year. I bought one coach from a couple that came to Florida for the Winter, bought a new coach and did not like Lazy Days trade-in offer for their old coach. They decided to sell it themselves. Six months later, they were still in Florida, had two coaches, two loans, two insurance bills, and storage/parking for two coaches.
To get them on the road back home I offered them $9000 less than the loan amount for their extra coach. They wrote a check to the bank for $9000 and I took care of the rest. They were not happy but after six months of no sale, they realized this was their best offer.
The facts are there are estate sales and various reasons why people sell their coaches that have nothing to do with the season. If you search hard enough you can find a good deal, especially if you have the cash to close the deal on the spot.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
GTN_and_Catz wrote:
Really??? :h

Coulda swore the topic was Used RV Pricing seasonality.....

Whoopsie. I did not read carefully. Take my comments with a grain of salt then.
2013 ACE 29.2

GTN_and_Catz
Explorer
Explorer
Really??? :h

Coulda swore the topic was Used RV Pricing seasonality.....
Gene
2003 36' Rexhall RexAir
2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Demco Kar Kaddy SS
Blue Ox Aventa II
2 Ragdolls
1 Tabby

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
NorthOrSouth wrote:
I'm a Canadian who buys in the US. I'd say there is way more seasonal pricing in Canada. After Labor Day, RVing in Canada goes into a huge lull til next spring and prices drop according. But down south, where RVing is more common hroughout the year, it's not quite as noticeable.

Also, in some states there are so many RVs to choose from that pricing has to stay low in order to sell.

The other factor I've noted a lot of (sadly) is that quite a few American ads say "selling due to medical issues". Dont see that in Canada because we just don't have the same medical expenses.
If Canada is so great, why are you supporting the filthy Americans by buying your rigs in the US? (Answer: The US does not have the ridiculously high taxation and import duties that Canada has making the RV much cheaper to buy in the US.) Canada uses that tax money to subsidize their healthcare system, so Canadians are paying every day for their healthcare, it's just hidden in the price of their loaves of bread. On top of that, there is no shortage of horror stories regarding the Canadian healthcare system. Tales of long waits for necessary treatments and procedures etc. You will find there are many Canadians who seek treatment at US medical facilities, no so much the other way around.

New or used???? The used ones get cheap in the winter when people area making payments and its just sitting there.....New, Must be 500 on each side of I-95 just north of Richmond, VA. Bet they get cheap around December when they have to pay tax on whats sitting there.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
The time to buy is when the next model years come out (April??) and dealers start unloading last years'. Which is kinda funny, you can get a leftover 2014 which is still 4 months left from over. I bought both of my RV's in the month of June. Both were last years (this year) models and I got a deal. If you wait til winter likley most of the "leftovers" will be gone and you are left with new model pricing. Might still pay less than summer, but you'll pay more than what the leftover price was in summer.
2013 ACE 29.2

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I bought mine in November and got a deal I couldn't pass up!!!
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my coach in mid January in Washington State! RV sales are slower during the winter in Washington State!

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, seasonality of RV is the same effect of seasonality of Motorcycles. Prices go up when the summer starts and goes down as the summer ends.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

ocean_bound
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think its because of medical expenses it is that they can not travel because of illness or operate a large motorhome
Allen&carrie 2006 georgetown XL359 37ft

NorthOrSouth
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a Canadian who buys in the US. I'd say there is way more seasonal pricing in Canada. After Labor Day, RVing in Canada goes into a huge lull til next spring and prices drop according. But down south, where RVing is more common hroughout the year, it's not quite as noticeable.

Also, in some states there are so many RVs to choose from that pricing has to stay low in order to sell.

The other factor I've noted a lot of (sadly) is that quite a few American ads say "selling due to medical issues". Dont see that in Canada because we just don't have the same medical expenses.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I always thought December is a good month to wheel and deal. Seems most people are shopping for others and not them selfs. Maybe sales would be a little slow and they would deal a little more. Anyones guess?
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows