cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Security system instead of RV specific system?

NorthOrSouth
Explorer
Explorer
Y'all convinced me not to bother salvaging my old Sony backup camera so I'm looking at new systems.

Then I came across this at Costco yesterday:

http://www.costco.ca/Q-See-4-Channel-960H-Security-System-with-500GB-HDD-and-4-1000TVL-Cameras-with-Night-Vision.product.100218140.html

We boondock a lot so we live with the blinds closed most of the time and Im always wondering whats going on when I hear people near our rig (esp with a classic toad).

The appeal here is that this system actually runs on 12v with a AC to DC adapter so wiring in to straight 12v would be easy. It records which is nice. And it can be display on our big flatscreen not just a little 7" dash monitor so my thought was it would make a great backup camera on the road AND security system when parked.

The clarity is excellent. PLUS the external cameras have a ton of infrared LEDs and they are rated for 100' of viewing range at night where most RV specific systems are 50' or even 30'. Motion detection mode when we're away from the rig would be helpful.

I would mount the two bullet cams front and back and put the dome cameras under the mirror struts so they would double as lane change cameras. When parked we would have 360 degree security at all times.

Price is decent and Costco sells good quality stuff. Two year warranty and concierge service for setup if needed.

Why not?
8 REPLIES 8

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Had a system like that from Sam's club. Took it back after a month. Great during the day but night time had some issues.

Infrared draws bugs at night so it looks like it is snowing outside.

Bugs draw spiders so every couple of days I had to clear off the webs.

Caught on video a neighbors car being broken into at 0130 in the morning...all we could tell was that the thief was driving an old light colored Ford Ranger.

The only way to get good night coverage is to add outdoor flood lights.

There is a time line across the bottom of the screen and when movement is detected it puts a red marker up. Ha...the bugs create red markers all night long so trying to find the break in was very time consuming as I had to review a lot of footage.

During the day birds and a ton of other things trigger the markers.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

NorthOrSouth
Explorer
Explorer
Totally agree. I actually wasn't even considering using the mounts they come with. My first thought was that I'd have to build my own housing to keep them aligned and protected. Not hard for the rear view since there's already a mount built in to the back wall, but the side mounts could be tricky. Since they're cylindrical, possibly mount them inside a chrome pipe that gets bolted to the bottom of the mirror mounts?

As for the front mount, my Monaco is old school enough to have a remote control spotlight up there, so mounting a camera onto that would be kind of cool. Not only full directional control but instant light to get clear shots at night. Now if I could just mount a BB pistol on it too the crows at my favorite parking spot would have a little present with their 5 am chatter ๐Ÿ™‚

Raist11
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking at a security system for the house for some time now. My only thought on this, my number one concern is so often the cameras on display have broken swivel points. The camera sits there unable to stay upright. I would be concerned about the cameras standing up to the strong winds from driving down the road. I'm sure the dome ones would stand up better but the regular cameras I'm not so sure about.

Perhaps do some research on how they hold up in tornado areas that get strong winds? I really like this idea, I just wonder how well they would survive on the road.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Actually not a bad idea. If you had an overhead TV, you could use two side cameras, rear camera and forward facing roof camera. You would have quite a view of your surroundings while driving. It's illegal to use the overhead TV while driving for watching a show, but as a camera system, it might be legal.

You could even put a camera under the front bumper facing backwards and see what your tires are doing. Lots of options with all those cameras.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

NorthOrSouth
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Executive! That one has a remote which isn't mentioned in the Costco ad.

Slight differences: Cameras are lower resolution and no mention of motion detection feature. But a far better price.

You lucky 'Mericans. Amazon.com is always three times the selection and at least 1/3 cheaper than amazon.ca I have to drive 8 hours to a postal outlet in MT to collect all my US orders and even with fuel costs it's a better deal. We Canadians get hosed!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Clicky for the OP....D

Amazon..this looks like the same model for less money...
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ditto with rgatijnet1...lots of 'puffing' goes on with camera claims. We use a four camera system with our vacation home. Daytime is good, night time only if the crooks turn on the lights...:W.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Having wired two different security systems on our houses, all I can say about the night time range is that it is way optimistic. You may be able to see a lit match at 100' but for facial recognition or to even tell it is a human, you are probably looking at more like a 20' range. Maybe a little more if there is some outside light source or during a full moon.
I use mine to monitor the stick house when we are on the road in the RV.