cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shiny RV with Red Max Pro (pics)

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you use this stuff? We were getting that chalky finish with faded and peeling graphics. I was waxing it with Meguiars--trying to avoid the graphics and spray them with 303 Protectant instead. I spray the dirt off after almost every trip too. We've only had it 15 months--I hated to see it get "old looking" under my care.
Replant just mentioned Lowes Red Max Pro and I read the links. Wow! Why not take the chance that the fiberglass would be looking shiny and new?
It worked! Here are a few pics.

The graphics bleed out color when washed.

And they were peeling up at the edges. I took a flat razor blade holder and trimmed off the peeling edges--

This is after the trimming. They are a bit ragged in places, but at least no longer peeling.

I used my little power sprayer with TSP in it and scrubbed with Bar Keeper's Friend as recommended.

This is the tire cover with one side is just washed with a sponge and TSP, the other is washed with a green scrubbie and Bar Keeper's Friend. I also used the white scrubbie (1000 grit sandpaper grade and much more expensive) for scratches--it did wonders even on the cab metal but for most of the job I used the cheap green stuff. I completely wore out 4 half sheets!

This is a "before" of the cleaned passenger side.

Red Max Pro Step 3 ready to apply.

Finished! It took me about 10 hours to do the job.

Plus I washed and waxed the cab. But by this time I was losing daylight so it is harder to see the shine.
I'm really pleased with the results. The recommendation is a new coat every year--that is a lot longer time period than waxing.
This was a good project for the start of a great season. I think it was worth the effort!
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021
413 REPLIES 413

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't put it on the window frames, but I didn't know it would work on metal at the time. The TSP is green liquid detergent that is Tri-Sodium-Phosphate used in industrial maintenance I think originally, but available for purchase now--especially in the big box stores and probably Walmart too. The Bar Keeper's Friend is at Lowes like the Red Max Pro. It is a mild powdered abrasive, like kitchen cleaser, but finer and without the bleach. It is used to clean the surface of the fiberglass and is one of the steps in polishing the surface--it takes off the chalkiness on the aging fiberglass. My decals were peeling and I used a flat razor to trim the edges. A bit ragged, but they are not sticking up through the new finish now. Take before and after photos! It is a pretty amazing transformation.

maryvillept
Explorer
Explorer
so are you guys putting this on the black window frames as well? What are you referring to as TSP? sorry it's probably obvious. What's the bee keepers friend for exactly? I'm really excited about doing this on my 96 allegro. Anyone have decals that were peeling a bit, if so did you just trim them first or replace them?
2012 Chevy 3500hd crew cab short bed. 6.0 L, 4x4
16k Reese slider hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 38' toy hauler

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
I purchased a gallon of the stripper, just in case I needed to do any clean-up, but didn't need any of it. I just made sure I didn't try to apply too heavily at a time. Pay close attention around obstructions, i.e. window frames, latches, locks, etc; It will want to "over-apply" or "collect" and run. I just made sure that I paid attention to it and gave any areas that were attempting to run a quick wipe of the rag before the run tried to "set-up". The first coat seemed most apt to run, although maybe I just got better with my application technique with each successive coat.

Since my roof is one piece aluminum, there was no need for a coat on that area, other than the fiberglass cap on the overhead bunk area. That, too, got 3 coats.

The nice thing about how easy this goes on is that for a yearly touch-up coat, I could do the entire MH (after washing) in less than an hour, without any "elbow grease". I'll probably go ahead and add the 4th coat that most people recommend this weekend; again, I only need about an hour to do it! ๐Ÿ™‚
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome new look and great pics. The metal looks fantastic too. I just waxed the cab, but next time I will try putting the Red Max on the cab too. I like the idea of not having to wax for a full year.
I have read that some people have used a top coat of 303 Aerospace Protectant or Protect All for UV rays, but most on the Fiberglass RV site did not use anything else and they have been happy with the finish for as many as three years in sun and all weather. Another coat is needed each year according to the reports.
The finish can be removed by using the stripper and one guy ended up removing his Polyglow by accident by using the tire cleaner (what's in that stuff?) at the car wash. He redid it with Red Max. Regular dish soap like Dawn does not remove it.
I haven't done the roof and I'm hesitant to put that shiny finish up there. I thought I would just use a UV protector up there. I may not get to it for a few months. The weather is starting to get HOT here again.

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks, Bill. It looks better than it has ever looked since I've owned it (the exterior was pretty weathered even when I bought it 10 years ago). You all might notice a difference in color in the before/after shots; some of that is due to the difference in sunlight (Saturday mid-morning vs Sunday late afternoon), but some is real. The whole motorhome, rather than a chalky light tan color is now a slightly darker beige, and the whole thing actually looks wet! Even the window frames are no longer discolored and oxidized; they look new. From what I've read, washing the surface using a common car wash soap shouldn't harm the Red Max at all; not sure about whether wax is needed or not.

I was really impressed with how easy it went on. The best way to describe it is like "using a damp rag to wipe a layer of dust off the surface".

The very first coat, I got a significant amount of color "bleed" on the white rags when I got to the lower stripes. But with the second coat, I got absolutely none; the white rag stayed completely white. That tells me that the first coat had already sealed the surface. If the weather is nice, I'll probably go ahead with a 4th coat this next weekend, just for an extra layer of protection.

BTW, no problems at all on the metal painted cab. It, too, looks like new!
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

Zieman Jetski Trailer

Bill_Hamilton
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of questions for all who have done this project: Do you still wax the finish with conventional automotive or marine wax for UV protection and what about washing the surface? Will cleaning chemicals remove the Red Max?

And that Jamboree looks awesome! Great job!
2006 Safari Simba
Gone 2005 31W Fleetwod Tioga SL - Not my problem anymore!
1996 Jeep Cherokee Toad

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
So on Sunday, after Church and some other errands, I finally got to this at about 3:00pm. I used white microfiber rags, and the entire job was done by 6:00pm. The motorhome has 3 coats, including the cab, although the rear cap got one additional coat.

Here are the results:
Before:

After:

Before:

After (notice the cab shine):

Before:

After (again, the cab):

Before:

After:

The rear cap was the worst shape. Before:

Check out the ladder reflected in the finish now! After:

And finally, before:

And after (yes, I know it's the other side, but both are in the sunshine):

The RedMaxPro went on so easily, I couldn't believe it. After the very first coat, I could already tell that this was going to be a winner. After the second, I realized that 3 coats were likely going to be enough to finish. Sure enough, the only part that required a 4th coat was the rear cap. The entire MH shines like new, including the cab, and the color has been brought back rather than the chalky, dull finish that I've endured for years.

I used only a bit more than 1/2 gallon of the RedMax, so I might go ahead next weekend and toss one more coat on, as easy as it is to do, but it really doesn't need it. I sure hope that the reports are correct and this stuff holds up to the SoCal sun.

Zieman Jetski Trailer

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow!!! OMG!!! Holy Cr__!!! If this lasts, I'm an extremely happy camper! The results are incredible! I did, however, change up my plan of attack just a bit.

First, I had some areas where caulking had squeezed out along window frames and joints, collecting dirt.

I used a plastic scraper first, then a toothbrush with Goo-Gone, then a rag.

After that, I decided to change the order a bit and start with the Bar Keepers Friend, since it does leave such a heavy residue, even after rinsing (it needs you to rinse with a brush or rag along with plenty of fresh water). I scrubbed every inch of the motorhome, including the cab, with BK using a white 3M scrubbie.

Here you can see how bad my cab was (although it did match the rest of the MH :)).

Keep these shots in mind when you look at the "after" shots showing the cab.

After the BK, rinsing with a "flow-thru" brush as I went, I washed the entire MH with TSP (1/2 cup to 2 gallons of water) and a brush, rinsing well.

All this was done on Saturday; took about 8 hours all total (although I also scrubbed my awning while I was at it).

Next post for the results...

Zieman Jetski Trailer

draglink
Explorer
Explorer
4x4Van- sounds like a great plan of attack. 2 things- make sure you get all of the BK off....rinse really well, and def wear gloves. I touched up a spot after I was done....without gloves and my finger nails looked like I had a pedicure! Acetone took it right off though....thank goodness, didnt need to hear about that from my buds!!

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I used a SMALL pressure washer that was just set to spray, not jet the water out. I applied the TSP by putting it in the washer. Otherwise your plan sounds exactly like the steps I used. I hope you got better gloves though, it took about a week for the stuff to peel off my hands. I read more about graphics since I did the job and I should not have used the BKF abrasive powder on them. Mine bled even with a plain water rag though so I don't think it made that much difference. Post before and after pics if you can! I'll be interested in how the stripper works on any drips and if you can re-coat an area so that it blends with the rest of the finish--also if you use it on the metal.

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
Quick question; I'm planning on getting started on this this weekend, but I'd appreciate some feedback on my plan of action. I've got the Red Max Pro-3, TSP, Bar Keeper's, gloves. I'm also going to get a paint tray and some microfiber rags (white), as well as some of the Red Max Stripper for clean-up of any inadvertant spills/drips, etc.

Anyway, the prep alone is going to be a major job since my coach is in such bad shape. So here's my plan (please jump in with any suggestions/corrections): Start with the TSP; Use it in a bucket of water with a brush/sponge, rinsing as I go. Next up is the BK with the scrubbies, again rinsing as I go. Follow that with a final thorough rinse of clean water (pressure washer?). Finally, the Red Max Pro (4 coats).

Should I use the pressure washer with the TSP instead of the brush/sponge? Any other corrections or suggestions?

Zieman Jetski Trailer

draglink
Explorer
Explorer
Did mine Sunday. Used micro-fiber rag and a roller tray. 4 coats, took about half a day....LOOKS INCREDIBLE!! This thing shines like new!!

cozzy
Explorer
Explorer
Poly-glow is also a great product. You put it on with a brush and it puts a great shine on. I did a 1988 boat and it looks like new.

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
Road Dog wrote:
My son-in-law did the hood of his Subaru last Sept. and it looks fine! He didn't do the whole car, but wanted to try it out on the hood as an experiment. So far so good!

Well then, sounds like it might be worth a try. As I said, since it is really just an acrylic coating, there is no reason why it shouldn't do the same thing (coat) on painted metal as it does on Fiberglass.

Zieman Jetski Trailer

Road_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
My son-in-law did the hood of his Subaru last Sept. and it looks fine! He didn't do the whole car, but wanted to try it out on the hood as an experiment. So far so good!