cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shopping for new Tiffin- couple questions

xray97
Explorer
Explorer
We're shopping for a new Tiffin 34 tga. We looked at a 2014 model the other day. The salesman stated that the coach had "full body paint" which meant the graphics are also painted instead of vinyl. Didn't sound or feel right to me. Is he correct?
The entry steps were were completely "free wheeling" ie: nothing holding them open or closed. One of the service techs said the aperture was missing and used a "zip tie" to hold them closed so we could drive the coach. Are the steps installed at the factory? I can't imagine how the coach was transported to the dealer in this condition if they are.
Finally does anyone have any input regarding b young Rv outside of Portland, Or?
Thanks.
31 REPLIES 31

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
I've watched my mother's issues with her Tiffin Alegro (triple slideouts). Between North Trails and LazyDaze, all of her problems over time have been taken care of. I think you could spend more and get less than a Tiffin product. I would recommend their products to anyone based on their direct customer service, and authorized service center work.

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 40' bath and a half Phaeton and love it. We've had problems but Tiffin or Lazy Days has fixed everything and even things that weren't broke but others were having a problem with. If we were to buy another one, it would be a Phaeton. Bob Tiffin is a man of his word. Our main problem has been with the slides but we understand they solved that problem in the 2013s. The braking system is different but that is because of the DEF. Also on the 2013s they have put the DEF tank on the other side where it should be. Over all - you can't go wrong with a Tiffin DP.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
xray97 wrote:
Thanks again to all who have replied. Regarding the Ford chassis, the 2008 Winnebago I own has the Ford chassis and has been problem free for the 5+ years we've owned it. Our Winnebago does tend to "roll from side to side like a boat" but when I test drove the Tiffin, with the 24,000 lb frame, I noticed a marked difference from our Winnebago. The tendency to "roll" was absent.
Roger

Our Allegro does not have the roll. We love to drive it. We had a 2004 Coachmen Aurora (F53) before the Allegro and it did roll. Not the Allegro. We love the way it rides and handles curves and turns.

Tree_House
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2012 32CA Tiffin Allegro and are happy with it.

We did have problems with the Kwikee steps.

After a year of limited use, the step motor quit while on a trip and the steps would not go out. A local dealer replaced the step motor under warranty. Then after three months of traveling and daily use, we discovered the steps would not stay out becaue three of the four bolts holding the motor to the step frame had sheared off. My husband replaced those, and will put in grade 8 bolts soon.

We can't tell if the sheared bolts were caused by Kwikee (improper installation or low quality bolts) or by the dealer who did the emergency motor replacement for us. But I don't think it was a Tiffin problem as the Tiffin install of the steps to the frame is fine.

The steps do go down a little when stepped on, unlike the manual trailer ones we were used to. We try now to make sure the steps are all the way out before using them.

The dealer should fix any problems before deliverying the coach.

xray97
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again to all who have replied. Regarding the Ford chassis, the 2008 Winnebago I own has the Ford chassis and has been problem free for the 5+ years we've owned it. Our Winnebago does tend to "roll from side to side like a boat" but when I test drove the Tiffin, with the 24,000 lb frame, I noticed a marked difference from our Winnebago. The tendency to "roll" was absent.
Roger

Lipets
Explorer
Explorer
The F53 has so so stopping power with the brakes, read how many have added to the suspension at cost of several thousand, do a search.

Look at the MPG, it rolls from side to side like a boat.

Drive a DP same size you'll see the difference.
Newmar 3933

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1996 F53, I traded to a 2013 F53. WOW!
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

CoastieSCPO
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Tiffin 34 TGA and the steps work the way they are supposed to. There is a little "bounce" in the steps when stepping on them, but it is not a problem. All Tiffin motorhomes have full body paint; no more decals! Also, the Ford F53 chassis is solid as is the engine. It's a high rev engine, but is built that way.
2012 Tiffin Allegro
34 TGA
CRV Toad

wnytaxman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure this applies to the model you are looking at, but it seems like some of the Tiffins had an issue with the steps not functioning properly. I believe there was some mention of that on the Tiffin forum.
2018.5 Entegra Aspire 44R on order, 2011 Berkshire 390BH traded

Lipets
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure U drive one first, the F53 leaves a lot to be desired
Newmar 3933

Leewhiz
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect the dealer may have removed a part to use somewhere else on another unit. All Tiffin units are delivered by a factory employee to ensure that they work properly and that no damage occurs during delivery. They also check it out before they leave the dealer so there should not have been an issue unless the dealer caused it.
Lee
2008 Tiffin Phaeton QDH

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Kiwi_too wrote:
Not over rated. Great quality. Great coaches.
X2, DW and I looked at quite a few. Definitely the real deal.

xray97
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent input and food for thought thanks!

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
I have been to B Young and tried to work a deal on a 2011 36' Phaeton they had last year. I think they are one of the better dealers in the Portland area. I'm with norwestie for the $$$$ they want for the one you are looking at I think the 2010 36' they have it is way more bang for the buck but it is more money. You get a DP bigger residential refrigerator (no fire problems)4 slides better ride, washer-dryer all around a better coach. But it's not my $$$$
If you do get a Tiffin the are a good company and Bob Tiffin is a great guy, met him at the Portland RV show at the Expo, that is next weekend you know. I would go and see if you could get a better deal there, good place to work the sales guys because they want to sell them there to look good.
http://www.byoungrv.com/inventory/316896/Used-2010-Tiffin-Motorhomes-Phaeton-36-QSH.aspx
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C