cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

short circuit when hooked to shore ower

Hoot887
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 Holiday Rambler that has developed a short circuit when it is hooked to shore power. I have turned off the 2 master switches = same problem. I disconnected the batteries of both the truck and the house and still get the tingle when shore power is connected. The only thing that has changed is the backup camera stopped working. I just removed the backup camera and monitor and sent them to RV Cam who tested the camera good but the monitor was bad. I purchased a new Voyager monitor and used the old camera to save a few $. I reinstalled the system using the kits I purchased from RV Cam and the monitor works fine
I know very little about the wiring of the rig. Any help you can give would be a great help.
21 REPLIES 21

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
A "tingle" when you touch the coach is NOT a good thing. It's wise you're trying to find the problem. As stated, start with the pedestal, then go to the cord. Once you've verified those a both good, give us as much info as possible and we'll sort it out. It could be a wire that's chafed on the frame somewhere 9possible) or it could be a wire that's come loose.(not likely)....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Need more facts:

Is this on only one shore power connection or many. Said another way, have you verified that shore power outlet is correctly wired?

Have you tested shore power at RV end of the shore power cord for polarity, voltage and ground?

If you have an ATS have you tested the same there?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
as those cords get old and hang while they are plugged in they begin to get loose at the ends. does yours screw into the R V or is ir permanently attached. And do you have a automatic transfer switch. If you do not have a automatic transfer switch you have to plug the cord into a 30 or 50 amp plug inside the R V of coarse that is only if you have a generator. If no generator the cord is the first thing that would be suspect, next place to check if you have a inverter charger go there if you have converter charger that is the place to go to there is where your individual grounds are then trace that back to your frame ground. but I also think it is in your cord. as far as your camera monitor those are both 12 volts
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
The plug on your power cable might have some loose wires/connections.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
Not enough info to comment. Is a breaker tripping or what?

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
You likely have a bad/loose ground somewhere either in the coach or the pedestal if you're getting a tingling when you plug in. I'd start by having the pedestal checked, and then check your shore cord/plug for loose or broken wires.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
might be your shore power cord.