cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

side mirror broken, what now?

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
The upper part of the passenger side mirror is shattered. The entire mirror unit did not break, just the mirror glass part. Is it possible to get a replacement mirror to glue in, or would we have to replace the entire unit? Nyone know where to get this?
We are traveling right, and are in the Toledo, Ohio area right now, on our way to N Carolina. Any suggestions appreciated.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
13 REPLIES 13

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
Upon further inspection, we found more damage. We decided to order the whole unit, $362 plus we paid extra for fast delivery, so we could continue our trip. Ordering was super easy, we ordered it Tuesday, got it Thursday morning. Install was easy, 4 screws and a wire connection.
If we were at home, I might have shopped around, but time was important.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1

vegasfoodguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The "Gambler" in Quartzsite, had a whole table full, around $300.00 if my memory is correct. Give them a call.

Terry
Monaco Diplomat, Cummins, 38a
Toad Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler, Brake Buddy.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Try replacing the entire mirror head and arm....Velvac wanted $1542.00 EACH :E:E:E for mine. Think I'll just try getting them rechromed....
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

path1
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, just the mirror glass. They did residential glass and windshields. In and out in 15 minutes.

Velvac will sell to you directly but you will pay more than going through their dealers. They are protecting their dealers by doing this rather than going around them for a lower price.

When I got home for the trip I decided to replace the whole mirror head because it had some marks from the previous owners and my little mishap.

The best thing is to go to Velvac's web site. They have a good parts breakdown of their various mirrors with all of the individual part numbers. When you get the P/N, also check EBay, there's a lot of Velvac parts on there.

Velvac Clicky

This one will take you to their Online Order page which has drop down menues for Class A and Class C MHs my mfg and model.

Velvac Clicky for MH mirrors

Once you have the P/Ns you can either order from them or check out some of their vendors.

I was after mirror head #714608, Velvac wanted $364.73 for it.

Ryder Fleet Products wanted $207.59
Ryder Fleet Products Clicky

Find It Parts wanted $212.75
Find It Parts Clicky

Pacific RV Parts wanted $204.99
Pacific RV Parts Clicky

I don't remember if the others had the mirror in stock, but Pacific RV had it in stock, the cheapest price and the cheapest shipping since we were both on the west coast. It arrived without a problem.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

tderonne
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the largest replacement glass from the closest Autozone when that happened to me (wife breaking glass). It was like $7, and came with foam tape on the back to stick it on.

Ordered the proper replacement from Ryder Fleet Products when we got home. It was almost half as expensive as Velvac.
Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. The campground host suggested an rv center to try.
If they don't have the part, we're going to order from Velvac, with next day air. For anyone needing a mirror, I found the Velvac name stamped on the mirror arm, with the part # on a tag that Fleetwood put on the mirror housing. Even without the part number, the Velvac website was very user friendly. I was able to choose my mh & year, and it showed me the mirror I needed. Same model # I found on the tag.
I think we'll just get the miiror part that shattered. Hope it's easy to install.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
My wife was able to break ours on it maiden voyage home from the dealership. I went thru the owners manual and found some information on the mirror as ours was a heated mirror. Ended up costing me $45 for the replacement glass with the new heating element in it. Install was a "snap". Sorry, can't remember the name of the mirror company that made them but the post above min may be it.

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a glass a few yrs. ago from here: http://www.velvac.com/RVs_only/home/

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick replies. Trackrig, did you have to to buy the entire unit?
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had this happen in Canada last year on the way north. The regular automotive glass shops were no help at all. They couldn't cut glass and wouldn't do anything unless they had special automotive glass. We stopped at the local Kenworth dealer to see what they had. They sent us up the hill to a glass shop who cut a new mirror from household mirror and glued it in. And they'd only take $10 for it. Household mirror glass won't hold up outside. The backing for the reflection isn't meant to take strong sun UV rays all of the time, but it was fine to finish the trip. I ordered a new mirror head this winter to install when I can get the MH out of the snow.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

RE-TE
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest contact any large RV dealer they may have a replacement or able to overnight from their supply house. Most mirrors have a "knob" on the reverse side of the mirror that fits in mechanism that
moves the mirror. Glass shop may be able to make one.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find a good glass shop and ask them if they'll cut a replacement mirror piece for you. They should also be able to advise you on the best adhesive to use, or may also do the installation at a nominal cost. I've had glass shops cut replacements for classic car mirrors a number of times over the years.

A temporary fix would be find a suitable truck mirror head in an auto parts store, and affix it the existing frame with duct tape or whatever other temporary means you have at hand.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate