cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

side view cameras

k123911
Explorer
Explorer
I am attempting to install side cameras that activate with the rt and lt turn signals on a 2000 National Seabreeze with a p32 chassis. Any idea which wires coming off of the steering column are the rt and lt turn signal? or is there another place I should be looking to make this work?
14 REPLIES 14

k123911
Explorer
Explorer
Well it is installed however I am having an audio problem from the mic on the reverse camera. The sound is muffled. I checked all the connections, removed the monitor from the mounting plate (the speaker is in the back), and had someone speak directly into the mic and still it is muffled. Anyone have any thoughts?

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
Actually if it were me I wouldn't bother. I have them and they are annoying. The right side is OK, you are generally looking in that direction to see the mirror, but the left is just about unusable. I cannot bring myself to look right while going left. I have mirrors, they are adjusted. I can see the whole side of the rig and the lane. Also if you are backing into your driveway and put the signal on, you lose the back up camera. THAT one I agree with 100%
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

k123911
Explorer
Explorer
and the winner is... dougrainer! you were correct. There is a delay diode and when I decided to just hook up to the blinker outside viola the camera lit up. Thank you very much for all of your help.. this was a head scratcher for a while.
If anyone is interested, RVSSafety cameras and monitors are very nice.

k123911
Explorer
Explorer
Well actually after a bit of trial by fire.. I determined that my RVSSafety side cameras DO have a delay relay and once I hooked up at the turn light viola' the camera lit up.
I am now in the process of drilling holes and hopefully will done with the install tomorrow before the rains come.
Thanks for you help.
p.s. I have the option of leaving the right side (or any camera) on all the time and when I use the left turn signal(or any turn signal and even REV) it will override that and turn on the left camera. Once the signal goes off it will go back to the camera that was on.. nice!

Argosy24
Explorer
Explorer
If you look at your schematic I think you will find that the flasher is before the turn signal switch and that's how the proper ts light is determined. It's also why using any input from the flasher for on/off short of a trigger for a latching relay won't work.

Why not a switch? I'm almost always in the right lane, if I need to look at something the mirror won't show it would be to the left for a lane change. I would rather the camera be on all the time. Or leave both cameras on constantly with two monitors, they're not that expensive.

k123911
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of good input (except maybe the flashing part and the closing of curtains - you won't know what you are missing).
I obtained the GM P32/42 Chassis manual and although it doesn't clearly specify, there does appear to be two wires that come out of the turn signal switch at the column in the schematics. That will be where I start and then if RearView Safety returns my message I will know if they have a built in delay so that it I will be able to connect directly to the signal side (after the thermal flasher). In their install manual it simply says to connect to the rt and lt wires with the yellow and the white, respectively.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The NORMAL install on Rearview with side Cameras is this----The dash monitor electronics has a relay diode system internal that when the left or right turn signals engage, it sees this 12 volt signal and once it sees this it turns on the appropriate camera as long as it sees this pulsed 12 volt signal. Electronically, it KNOWS to keep the power to each camera ON continously and ignore the constat flash of 12 volt on and off. IF you have the original back up system, that did not have left and Right Camera capability, you cannot make the system work correctly. Doug

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Make both camera come on at the same time. Just wire before the flasher.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
For my side view cameras, I just tied into the hot wire going to the left and right turn signals. These wires were easily located under the front end and they fed right through the firewall to the camera signal wires.

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
I do not understand why you would want side view cameras set up to accommodate flashing but rest assured that I will keep my window drapes closed

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Can't help with the wiring, but on my in dash display unit it has a delay that keeps the cameras on while the blinkers are flashing.
Maybe yours does too.
do you have a manual on the display unit?
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
there are 2 wires coming out of the column. left and right. the flasher is wired on the power wire going into the column, and works with both/either.

I'm not real sure how the side camera inputs work tho. perhaps they have a delay?
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

k123911
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. That confirms one assumption. I do realize that hooking up past the thermal flasher will cause the screen to turn on and off in sync with the flasher; what I don't understand is, when the signal arm is pushed up or down (rt or lt) how does the circuit know which side to activate, if, as you say, there is only one wire coming from the column?
My next assumption is that there are two wires coming from the turn signal arm at the steering column to the thermal flasher. I just cant figure which two...

MrWizard
oops.. try another idea

the wire there is only (1) flasher for the turn signals, and one Hot wire inside the collum
the wires coming out and going to each side (right-left) blink/power on off from the flasher

do you want your camera signal/picture going blinking on off

you will need manual switch form a separate hot source
or get fancy using a separate hot source and 'latching relays' that come on when the turn signal for that side is activated, then time out after your turn
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s