Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slide motor making clicking sound

pwrchrd
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings,

I have a 2006 Winnebago Outlook that the slide motor failed and was replaced under an extended warranty I bought. The service place I took it to said the motor and actuator arm had to be replaced together ($2500!) and the warranty company authorized the replacement. When I got it back they showed me the slide working, and it made a ticking noise during out and in. Worked fine, but just had a noise where it didn't use to have a noise prior to completely failing. Their technician told me that after I actuate it a few times worm drive should lubricate itself and the noise should go away. After 10 recycles, the noise is the same. I took it back in and they said that it appears to be working properly but the motor has a wobble to it.

Should the slide motor wobble like the video link shows?

Slide Motor video
Kurt
11 REPLIES 11

yankeewing
Explorer
Explorer
Well after getting right actuator. First one was for the rear slide. I installed the new front actuator and seems like the motor and actuator for this sofa slide is laboring to move in and out. Underneath the front of sofa has about a 8" long glides on both ends in front.
There are no other glides near back of sofa, the metal just slides on carpet.
Bought some slide out dry lube and cleaned up bottom of slide. Also put slide out thetford seal conditioner on seals.It is adjusted horizontal same gap on both sides near seals.
Adjusted vertical to move slide up and down a little and still sounds like it is laboring.
It moves in and out without any binding just a little noisy.

Will look at it again in spring - I think it should of had rear glides under couch to slide on carpet like the rear bedroom slide has.
This is a 2005 with 9,000 miles on it and I am 3rd owner.
I think this had a problem from 1st owner.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure all motor bolts are tight. Also, does temperature cause the click? For me if I could not diagnose and it still works, work it till it croaks.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

yankeewing
Explorer
Explorer
Buying new actuator with motor attached for $1,000.
will clean up the metal on underneath the slide.

$1500 at Lippert ( they charge more to public)
American RV in Ca. found for $1,000

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing I learned dealing with slides. The slide area, the point where two metals pass each other, needs to be kept clean. Dust and dirt added to your choice of lubricant equals a gooey sticky mess. I use brake clean, on the mechanism accessible on the outside, and shine the metals up and some lube and it's good for awhile. I can tell by the sound of the slide motor when using it if it's time for a cleaning.

As far as the "screws' I find it interesting they bend so easy. Arbor press them and I think you will be fine.

yankeewing
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem on my 2005 Minnie 329 front sofa slide. My slide actuator has same sound and motor wobble. The actuator has a acme screw that must get bent very easy. It is mounted in the slideout arm that supports slide with sofa.
I called lippert and they want $1,500.00 for slide actuator with motor attached. It was made by Kwikee/Powergear which was bought out by Lippert I think.
powergear / kwikee part # 1820106 and
lippert part # 384235 -

Very expensive compared to other actuators they sell.

I am thinking about taking motor off actuator and trying to straighten acme screw which is slightly bent in arbor press with v-blocks.
I have it out and getting ready to take motor off.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I looked at different parts diagrahms and my best guess is the shaft is held in place by roll pins and washers. The motor would need to come out as it drives the shaft . Any pictures to help figure this out?

pwrchrd
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings,

So a quick update. The original repair shop refused to fix the issue, since it was outside of warranty, even though it was never right from the beginning. I went to another shop and they diagnosed the problem as a bent worm gear, Kwikee #902202101, now owned by Lippert. I called them and they said they dont sell the gear shaft separately, but would sell me the whole assembly for a discount $1500, lol!

So they gave me specs and so did the 2nd repair shop and I am trying to figure out how to pull this gear shaft and then hopefully take it down to a machine shop and have them bend it back straight.

I've been scouring youtube for a good video showing the replacement of this assembly and havent found one. Anyone know of any?
Kurt

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oftentimes we turn to the manufacturer or distributor for replacement motors and other parts yet they don't build them, they purchase them from another source. Look at your motors and such then compare to what is available at Grainger and Mc Master Carr. My BIL's Monaco had a step problem, the motor failed. Step manufacturer says 300 clams. Well the same motor is used in the power window circuit of older Ford cars, for 49 dollars and a free delivery from NAPA auto parts we were back in action. I find the 2500 dollar cost and the failure of the repair disgusting.

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
We have an 06 Winnebago Aspect. It has a Barker Mfg slide that failed a couple years ago. Having gone through too many scenarios like you've been through, I figured I would fix it myself. I did find a Utube video and I enlisted my gear head son. Bottom line it cost about $30 to replace the broken part and dinner for the kid. Barker was very helpful in solving the problem.

I would find out who makes your slide, show them the video and proceed from there. On mine, the brand wasn't apparent until we pulled the motor/gearbox unit.

Good luck!

Norm
F1BNorm

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Ours was not closing completely recently, the DS bedroom slide was out about 1" at the bottom. On checking under the bed the Power-Gear slide out motor was wobbling like yours, except ours had 4 mount bolts and one had backed out 1/2". I tightened up all the bolts, the wobble is gone and all is good. This slide out motor is a replacement for one that scattered the gear-head almost 6 years ago. At the time my cost for the motor installed was under $500, with the motor costing about $375 with expedited shipping.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
The motor is laboring to do it's job. My guess is the slides have crud on them OR the motor they replaced it with is in distress. I would not accept that as being repaired. A repaired piece works as it should as soon as you pick it up not after a while. Get on the phone with the warranty company and get complaining. This is not how a motor should act. I have repaired my own slides and thats how it acted BEFORE I fixed it.

BTW I saw the video...