cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slideouts and jacks not working

Donpepe
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2005 Itasca Meridian diesel CAT 34H with 2 slideouts. The slideouts and jacks stopped working at the same time. We cannot hear any noise when we try to operate them. We tried with the motor on and no response. After this, we turned the key to aux turned on the hydraulic jacks pad and dumped the air. After we did this the slideouts worked for less than a minute, and then they were dead again.

What is really frustrated is that we had been looking for the location of the fuses and motors for the slideouts and jacks, and had not been able to find either. Read manuals, called Winnebago (they don't know because they tell us a different location every time).
Also called the hydraulic place and they will call back....we had been waiting for 3 days.

Please help! Any ideas on what could be causing this would be appreciated!

Pepe and Mirtha

2005 Itasc Meridian
2005 Honda Pilot
13 REPLIES 13

dpdownto
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2007 34H and had the identical issues. Replaced the relay with no change. Changed both STARTING BATTERIES and it fixed the problem. I was under the bad assumption that the jacks and slide used the coach batteries, wrong!!!. Two years since replacement and no issues.

phays
Explorer
Explorer
On my HWH slide system, there is a 15 amp fuse in a wire at the pump. I had that fuse blow once.

HWH has pretty good service manuals on their web site. Try downloading the ones for your systems and go through the trouble shooting sequence. That's what I ended up doing.

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about your chasis,but mine has a HUGE circuit breaker behind the main fuse panel,backside, that controls the power to both the slides and jacks.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

ThorResidencyNe
Explorer
Explorer
If you slide under the RV on a creeper you can probably trace the hydraulic lines back to the pump. I had the same situation on my RV when I got it.

As for HWH, I have lost any interest in dealing with them. The call back time for technical support is crazy. The last time I called I waited about a week for a call back. When I finally gave up on getting tech support assistance, I called and just wanted to order the part I thought I needed. I was told that I would have to wait for a call back from the parts department because they were also backed up. I asked how long that would take and was told a couple of days. That is crazy. I ended up calling Stuart's Services which sells all of the HWH parts. They pick up on the first or second ring, answer all your questions just like HWH and can ship your part out the same day. I ended up getting the part from them to my house before I even received a call back from HWH. And their prices are the same. Good luck.

azpete
Explorer
Explorer
the pump and control box assembly is under the entry step. you can see the control box from the front and under the motorhome. if nothing works, look at your grounds and battery connections. winnebago doesnt run the rooms with the control box, even though the wires run thru the box. they only pass thru for convenience of wiring. the 40 amp fuse for the system is located in a #10 blue wire connected to the master relay. download a service manual for your system and go thru the diagnostics. use the led location sheet in the manual. other than that, all you need is a 12 tester. check the two bolts that hold the pump to the mounting bracket. if they are loose, you could be losing ground.

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Donpepe,
Yes, your complete HWH pump and reservoir are under your steps. I fail to see how Winnebago could not give you this information. If they have the last six of your vin, they can tell you where every nut and bolt is. They have for me, the last few times I've called them.
If you lay on your side, in front of the right front wheel, and look up, under the right front of the coach, towards the under side of the steps, you should see a clear, Plexiglas panel.

That is a cover panel for the circuit board that runs the entire HWH system. It looks like something out of a Star Trek movie. And yes, under your second step, the front lip, is the bolt that secures that step. Remove the bolt, and the step hinges towards the driver side of the coach. When you lift that step, you'll see the pump, manifold, all the solenoids, and the reservoir.

Now, I'm assuming that, when you were trying to operate all the slides and the jacks, that your emergency brake was set. Because if it wasn't (no one on a diesel parks without setting that brake because there is no "Park" in the trans on those), than your HWH system will not work. There is a e-brake interlock that must be activated prior to the HWH system to be operative.

If your e-brake was set, and you've still had issues, that interlock switch system could be on the fritz. I hope this helps some.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Doug_and_Cassi_
Explorer
Explorer
On my '05 Meridian 36G the HWH system pump, shuttle valve and reservoir are under the entry steps. Feel under the lip of the 2nd and 3rd steps. There is a nut there (1/2" I believe). Take the nuts off and the step lifts up. They are hinged on the back.

Check here for loose wires. I just ordered pump and shuttle valve. Sit down. The shuttle was $56 and the pump was $884.00. I didn't need the pump so got mst of my money back for it. HWH will NOT sell to you, you have o go thru a dealer.

There is only one pump for both the slider and levelers.

PDDGM
Explorer
Explorer
Mine won't work if the emergency brake is not set..
Joe
2000 Pace Arrow 33v
2010 Kia Soul
2005 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Tow Dolly with motorcycle carrier

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
As some of you may recall I just went through a similar situation with my levelers. Received contact with azpete a member of this forum who is with HWH and is a travelling tech. He knows the systems inside out. He contacted me via PM so I was able to work back and forth. Not sure how to PM someone without a thread but I am sure some one will be able to tell you. Also if you go to hwhcorp.com you can find trouble shooting and system manuals. Takes a bit of searching in their site and you have to know your HWH system and chassis type.
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

BillyGo
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a battery issue.
2011 Forest River Berkshire 360FWS
2012 Smart car for two

fourmat
Explorer
Explorer
Find your hydraulic pump since all went out at the same time see if you have any power to pump Are batteries charged ?
2009 Challenger

Donpepe
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it's the HWH and I called them every day for the past 3 days, but they say they are behind and they will call back. In the meantime, we are almost ready to go on a trip, but we can't until we resolve this issue.

Thanks!

Pepe

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Is this a HWH system? If so, give them a call, it may take a day or two, but they offer good information. They also sent a written confirmation of our conversation, that described the fixes we discussed and that we should perform. They were spot on.

You are right about Winnebago, they told me that it depends on what day of the week the system was installed as to it's location?
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L