cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sloppy steering

rsn48
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased a 1994 Winnebago Adventurer 32 feet, Chevy engine and overall I am thrilled with the unit, well maintained and very clean with only 61,000 miles on it.

But.......... the unit has very sloppy steering at faster speeds like 60 MPH plus, even in a straight line. My understanding is there are things you can do to address this issue, would love help and suggestions on this.
19 REPLIES 19

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
My last RV, a 27' 1988 Jamboree Class C, was a white knuckle driving experience, and handled exactly like you are describing. I drove it that way for years. Finally, I took the advice to weigh the rig and set the tire pressure based on axle weights. Turned out I was about 10lbs too high in the front. Dropped the front pressure 10lbs and it was a day/night difference. I kick myself for not doing it years earlier.

Try the easy things first.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Don't just throw parts at it. Take a trip to Henderson Line Up in Grants Pass OR. Robert is the best on those old P32 front ends.
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you have not checked you weight on the front and rear axle, when loaded for travel, I would do that first. Too little weight in the front and can cause a vehicle to wander. Most RV's handle better if the front axle is close to the maximum allowable weight.

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned, check tire pressures to make sure that they are correct according to your weight. Second, get it to a reputable heavy truck shop that knows suspensions and have them check it out and possibly align the front end if it can be.

Mine had/has what I consider loose steering, but nothing unmanageable. After taking it to a truck shop that specializes in alignments, I was told that my king pins were worn...not to the point of a safety issue, but worn enough that it would not hold an alignment. After pricing the replacement of them, (close to $2K), I decided to try pumping the grease zerks full and see what happens. Well, when they are full of grease, it drives like it should. So, as long as I can, I will pump them full every couple months and go about my business.

Of course, there are other things you can add...steering stabilizer, rear track bar, etc. But if your tire pressures and alignment is not correct, or if you have worn components...you won't be satisfied.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Replace any worn frontend parts, such as ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arms, steering box, steering stabilizer, and shocks.

Have an alignment done, and have the shop set it to maximum caster and maximum toe-in.

Make sure the front tires are good, and set to minimum 65-80 psi, if it has 16" wheels.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

rsn48
Explorer
Explorer
I'm now thinking shock absorber with the springy thing for the front and sway bars front and back.

M_Barry
Explorer
Explorer
You can do one of two things: If you're a front end expert you can diagnose it and add or replace parts to fix your problem. Or you can find a front end shop that knows their business and tell them your problem and let them fix it.
I had your same problem and chose the latter option. $2300 later I can do 70 with one hand on the wheel. Worth every penny!
M.Barry

bowalker
Explorer
Explorer
The tail might be waging. My 34' Winnebago Adventurer has me constantly steering. As soon as I move the steering wheel slightly to the left, I have to move it slightly to the right and this is constant back and forth, but, just slightly.
I have thought about adding two shocks some place on the rear.
I always tow a vehicle. That might have something to do with it too.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2003 Itasca Class C has "sloppy, loose steering" also. Not saying there isn't something to be done but part of it is that the steering is just mechanically not the same as modern cars but more like trucks used to be. I guess I've adapted but it does have to be "driven" not just one hand resting on the wheel.
Jayco-noslide

rsn48
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting 4 new back wheels, the two newest moved up to the front wheels from the current tires on the rig. I will be taking it back to the mechanic who worked on it a week ago for the wheels and will have him check out the steering situation with suggestions here.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
First of all be sure your tires are properly inflated; too high or too low can cause this.

Then get it aligned and the suspension inspected.
-jbh-

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing to do is to have the whole suspension inspected for warn parts and repair anything that is worn.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
How is the alignment? Is it steering evenly when you steer to the extremes in both directions.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1994 33 foot PaceArrow with the 454 P chassis. I did everything to it because it wandered all over. Henderson super steer bell cranks and rear trac bar,got rid of the air bags in the front coil springs and installed henderson springs,inner and outer tie rods,idler arm,steering dampner,ipd large front sway bar with poly bushings on front and rear,Koni shocks,had steering box checked,two sets of tires over the years,a few front end alignments set to henderson specs then even more caster.
All this made a huge differance but still was a bear to drive and would like to switch lanes on its own. I finally fixed it.....I sold it and got a diesel pusher.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU