cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smoothest Ride under 35k

rykbell
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are looking for a better way to travel than flying with two kids, or worse driving our Honda Civic which is great for gas mileage but impossible to keep children happy and entertained. We travel twice a year for work (I work 5 months away from home, essentially off the other 7, at least that work can be done while mobile), and we have family across the nation we want to visit for holidays and special occasions.

Most important to us is ride quality, we also want width enough to move freely to the fridge or bathroom while driving, both of which had drawn us to Class A (from what we've read and seen)

My work provides housing for the 5 month work season, so we will probably be storing it for those months. So we won't be full timing, but we will be sleeping for a week or so at a time when visiting family. We don't really want a 40 footer, the smaller the better (provided there is a queen sized bed), but if we have to go big to get the ride quality we will.

Anyway, all that for a budget of about 35k, including initial maintenance or repairs to get ready to roll.

All of my reading has made me think an older DP is the way to go, but that is why I am coming to you all, the experts.

Couple of notes.

I'm okay with the added cost of scheduled maintenance of DP.

We want something that will serve us well for 2 or 3 years and we will can sell and upgrade.

If the best way is a $10,000 RV with $10,000 in initial cost to get rolling we're in.
36 REPLIES 36

glamisorbust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even though you like the gas motorhome you are looking at, I would hold off and keep looking. I had literally been looking on craigslist every day for two months for a deal to present itself. I had a 1994 georgie boy pursuit 28' chevy 454 gas engine and a 4kw kohler generator. It ran ok but definitely did not have enough power. The generator was underneath the kitchen so you still heard it but not too loud. The engine roaring and getting hot between the two passengers is one part I did not like. In the DP, you can literally talk in a low voice, with the generator running and be able to hear each other clearly. Much, much different from a gas engine. Also, the heat and exhaust are all out back, behind you. Now, there are drawbacks to the diesel. Like if someone wants to sleep on the back bed going down the highway, the engine is right underneath you and producing quite a bit of noise and heat. I have slept on one and didn't get much sleep going down the road. Too bouncy back there anyways, on either the gas or diesel version. Now, my dad bought a 2001 HR endeavor about 4 years ago. It came all setup to tow and also came with a 2001 jeep liberty. His has a larger cat 350, larger tires, 10 lug wheels and an extra slide out back. But he also paid $55k for his package, and I paid $32k for mine. I would look at ebay but be sure you can look the unit over in person before you buy it. Craigslist is where the best deals can be found. The people I sold my '94 georgie boy to were clueless to RV's so I spent about half the day running them through every system on it. They were very grateful for me doing that. Make sure the seller is not rushing you through anything. If they do that probably means they are hiding something. Helps to take a friend with you to maybe see things you don't.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!

gabriela
Explorer
Explorer
glamisorbust wrote:
The RV has 127k on it, the CRV has 135k on it. The CRV does not register miles when it is being towed, so it has more miles on axles and bearings, etc. The car drives like a new one. We absolutely love it. The cummins pushes the coach along with ease, unlike my old 454 gas coach that would struggle on even a 1% grade. I found this combination listed for $35, both pieces all set up to tow. The reason why he had a hard time selling it was because he would not split them up. The endeavor lists for $38k on nada, and the CRV lists for $11,500 on KBB. Plus thousands of dollars in towing and braking equipment. This gentleman and his wife lost their dog recently and the dog went everywhere with them in the RV. So the memory of their dog was painful every time they looked at the coach. I offered him $32k and he took it, reluctantly. Very nice people that took great care of their equipment. I love my new setup. If you're gonna pay $24k for a gasser, keep looking and you'll find the diesel you want. Much more of a pleasure to drive.

Hello, well really thanks for this advice. I watched gone with Wynns, and they also seem to favor diesel. They said when you run a generator or battery, you don't hear it in the back bedroom with a diesel but you will with a gasser.

But a lot of people own gassers. How are they managing?

Also, now I think I may be paying too much for this vehicle--even though at 24K asking, it is around the NADA (a bit high--NADA is saying around 20K low, but the seller may flat out refuse). You are making me think I'm going too fast, tho', should look to the auctions. Did you see that Camelot now for sale on crazyape.com? TO DIE FOR. Wow, 4 slides. Reserve not met, but I've never seen something so beautiful in my life. They're up to 40K, reserve still not met.

This is out of my range, but it does give one pause.

jwoodie
Explorer
Explorer
My approach has been to make the widest possible survey of options out there. Then identify one which seems to meet your criteria and PRETEND that you bought it. Live with it in your mind while you check availability and prices. If it still seems like a good idea, decide on the model, options and price you are willing to pay. Then start monitoring Craigslist, etc. every day until the right deal presents itself. Once you find it, jump on it (it won't last long). Don't be afraid to travel to get it, but watch out for rust from Southern/Eastern states.

Hopefully, you will be able to leapfrog some of the steps on your RV journey.

gabriela
Explorer
Explorer
2bzy2c wrote:
Below is a 2000 Monaco Diplomat on auction. The reserve has been met at 12K

Monaco Diplomat

Hello:

Is there any way of observing the price the item sold for, as one can on Ebay? This would help me bargain with the person I'm trying to buy the 1999 HR Endeavor from with 27K miles (36') for $24K.

Also, what do you think of buying on Ebay?

Sincerely, Gabriela

glamisorbust
Explorer II
Explorer II
The RV has 127k on it, the CRV has 135k on it. The CRV does not register miles when it is being towed, so it has more miles on axles and bearings, etc. The car drives like a new one. We absolutely love it. The cummins pushes the coach along with ease, unlike my old 454 gas coach that would struggle on even a 1% grade. I found this combination listed for $35, both pieces all set up to tow. The reason why he had a hard time selling it was because he would not split them up. The endeavor lists for $38k on nada, and the CRV lists for $11,500 on KBB. Plus thousands of dollars in towing and braking equipment. This gentleman and his wife lost their dog recently and the dog went everywhere with them in the RV. So the memory of their dog was painful every time they looked at the coach. I offered him $32k and he took it, reluctantly. Very nice people that took great care of their equipment. I love my new setup. If you're gonna pay $24k for a gasser, keep looking and you'll find the diesel you want. Much more of a pleasure to drive.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!

gabriela
Explorer
Explorer
glamisorbust wrote:
Your $35k budget is well within reason for a 2000-ish diesel pusher. Look for a holiday rambler endeavor 37-38'. They come with one large slide. They ride so smooth and the power is incredible compared to a gas engine. Don't even look at the gas models. I just purchased a 1999 holiday rambler endeavor 37CDS4 for $32k that came with a 2006 honda CRV. Both vehicles in immaculate condition and everything works on both. Also, the CRV is ready to tow, came with the towbar and all braking equipment ready to hit the road. You can find these RV's for probably around $29k if you look hard enough. My father and brother both have the same model and we all have had little to no problems. We really enjoy the ride and all the storage. Two of us have the 5.9 cummins 24 valve 275hp, my father has the 330 cat in his. Go diesel!

Wow! Where did you find a deal like that? Might I ask the milage on the DP and CRV? You really lucked out. I am looking at a 1999 HR Endeavor gasser 275 HP 36 foot, 27K miles, very good condition, (Ford V-10 Triton engine) and it is in the $24K range. I will not be towing initially, maybe ever. If I do tow, it will probably be one of those new-type scooters with 2 wheels in front, one in back, in a toy hauler. Don't think I'll want to tow a car yet.

mnoeltne
Explorer
Explorer
rykbell wrote:
That sounds pretty good. I'm assuming that was a private party purchase. What sites are best for finding a decent deal like that? Better yet, what sites can I find classifieds that the majority of private party listings will be motorhome that were cared for by an RV enthusiast?

I saw you are in Utah. Rather than Craigslist, try www.ksl.com in the classifieds section. They have both private party sales and dealers all up and down the Wasatch Front.

For whatever reason KSL has the lions share of online classifieds, while the local Craigslist doesn't have much.
Mark & Joyce Noeltner
2005 Fleetwood Fiesta 26Y
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
Below is a 2000 Monaco Diplomat on auction. The reserve has been met at 12K

Monaco Diplomat
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

glamisorbust
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you're interested, i'm selling my coach. I just bought the diesel pusher, so I need to sell the class A I already have. It's a 1994 georgie boy pursuit 28'. 454 chevy and has 6 brand new tires. The roof a/c unit has been replaced recently, all new flooring and carpet. Self seeking direct tv satellite dish. Engine has had a full service including new water pump, belts, hoses and dash a/c service. It has a 4kw kohler gas generator that runs perfect. Everything works on this coach, it's ready to hit the road. Asking $8k, located in phoenix area. Let me know if you're interested by sending a pm. I can send you a ton of pictures.

Peralko
Explorer
Explorer
When we get ready to sell ours, we will probably ask around $35k for it. After the chassis renovation it rides very smooth, and the engine has a lot of miles left. Lots of similar units out there. If you go for quality rather than cheap, you can't go wrong.
Peralko
USAF Retired
2000 Prevost Marathon H3-45
2006 Nissan Maxima

Stavie
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a 1998 HR 38ft Endeavor with a 275hp turbo diesel and 90,000 miles for 22.500. I had to buy new steer tires as they were badly cracked on the sidewalls so that brought it up to 23,500, and transfer of the title and tax was another 1,500 to bring us to 25 even.

It was stored inside so the paint is in very good shape, and aside from some dirty carpet the interior is in great shape.

We had been looking for a while and in our experience sites devoted to RV's aren't the best place to get a good deal. We found ours in a local paper, and I'm pretty confident if they had ran it on RVtrader at that price it would have been gone very quick.

I've been getting around 13mpg, which still blows my mind. It's only 2mpg less than my Suburban. So we'll be able to go more places. And full coverage insurance in under 300 for a full year.

Just my experience.

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you really need to rent one and try it out. When we purchased our trailer, we thought it would work well for us but then we found out that the angle to the TV and the lack of floor space were problems for us. It was not until we had used it for a while that we uncovered these issues.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

rykbell
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah my brother has a class C, I think it's a Jayco, had two slides, bunk beds, and his floorplan was made for those slides, cause with them in, not much room.

Question though: My wife isn't sure she wants to spend this much on a RV. I have been thinking about a 90s Class C, like a Born Free, for <15k. Some of the Cs have air ride, and while I'm sure it came compare with a 34' DP, is it decent?

I know I am like 100% switching what I am looking for, but I'm trying to find a more economical way to move freely while driving. (We are okay sleeping in the loft over the cab with our two kids on the sofa bed.)

After writing this and through this journey of research and trying to find one that fits our needs, I'm realizing more and more I just need to go drive them, rent them for a weekend and see what works for us.

If anyone has thoughts on a 80s or 90s Born Free we would love to hear. If someone has one and could give me an idea on maintenance when that old (assuming they have all maintenance to that point) that would be fantastic.

Lastly, I feel like I am getting so much help. Thank you.

You want to move around inside while going down the road then you don't want a slide which will also get you in a DP cheaper.....Most won't agree with me but I have had both and like my no slide better for that reason alone. Here in the Carolinas we see lots of nice high end DP coaches for sale in the $30,000 range on Craigs list. Good luck

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Rykbell, another good place to look is at www.pplmotorhomes.com (located in Texas) to look at consignment units. They also have a list of what has sold in the last few years showing the selling price.

Just keep in mind, it's all about maintenance and care.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins