cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snow bird trip

TlovesBinaRV
Explorer
Explorer
Finally our first snow bird trip? This is why we bought the new Thor Challenger. Heading to the emerald coast for Christmas week from NW Ohio, and we need an overnight stop off, or two, on the way down, anyone have any great, or real bad experiences they want to share?
"Does not work & play well with others!"
11 REPLIES 11

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
Singing Hills RV Park on the road into Mammoth Cave NP is a nice two day stop, free wifi full hookups passport discount and veterans discount for all days staying. We have staid there when visiting wife's sister.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
TlovesBinaRV wrote:
I was thinking somewhere in Kentucky or Tennisee on the first night not sure if we'll need another before we actually get to Destin, Fl

We go from Columbus to Destin area each winter. I like to stop at Cracker Barrel (furthest South one) at Bowling Green. Never had a iota of trouble get out of bus eat dinner and in am eat breakfast in restaurant Had 8 inches of snow one year. Like to stop there on way back also. Columbus is one day drive to that location without wearing yourself out.

OH you must go to McQuires in Destin for lunch two can eat one meal and bean soup is .10. When are you going and what camp? We will arrive Feb 1. Santa Rosa Beach.

racer99
Explorer
Explorer
If you are near nashville we always stay at Victory campground near Paducah Ky Then next morning drive through Nassville and get on Nathez Trace,Beautiful road 50 mph limit no commercial truck, great campgrounds, the trace is 400 miles and ends in Nathez MS but you can get off in Jackson MS and head south to I-10 then East to DESTIN,we stay in Navvarre right near Destin

cpoo
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful of the entrance if it is slippery. Friends skated down in a 45Ft moho. Not fun.
Bob

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
Michigan to Florida that late in the season, I usually expect the first night to be in a motel, since I need power for overnight heat, and north of Chattanooga it is easier to find a motel than an open RV park. If I'm making it a three day trip, second night will be southern Georgia or northern Florida, and it it either warm enough to survive in a sleeping bag, or easy enough to find a RV park with overnight spaces along I-75 or US-41. I have no particular parks where I consistently stay.

My cousin has particular parks he uses, but he makes his move in September when things are still open, ans stays several days. Not all are on a direct route, e.g. Detroit to Fort Myers for him includes a week at Topsail and sometimes a few days around Crystal River or Spring Hill to connect with stick and brick snowbirds in the family.

You have a RV and you want to stay in a motel? that aint right. isnt that why we have rv's. I suppose you have propane furnace? a generator?
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

TlovesBinaRV
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Nashville KOA is our best bet for a stop off. B & I will take a night or two there and explore the area. We love being busy going no place! Thanks for the tips guys, please feel free to share anything about the Nashville area if you know it well enough to do so.

JMichael
Explorer
Explorer
T
We leave the Cleveland area for Pensacola the first week in Dec. Route I65 is a far better drive than I75. We have stayed at Texas T campground in Tenn. for a night. Also Sherling lake Park in Al. is another good stop.

JMichael
2001 KADP 4084

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at Singing Hills RV Park on the road into Mammoth Cave NP. It is fine for an overnight - electric and water. We have de-winterized there. Also I think there are a couple of Passport America Parks around Berea, Ky. that open in the winter. There should be lots of choices in Tennessee - depends on what route you are taking.

Go to the Woodals site and under preferences check off open all year (or similar wording) and lots will come up.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Michigan to Florida that late in the season, I usually expect the first night to be in a motel, since I need power for overnight heat, and north of Chattanooga it is easier to find a motel than an open RV park. If I'm making it a three day trip, second night will be southern Georgia or northern Florida, and it it either warm enough to survive in a sleeping bag, or easy enough to find a RV park with overnight spaces along I-75 or US-41. I have no particular parks where I consistently stay.

My cousin has particular parks he uses, but he makes his move in September when things are still open, ans stays several days. Not all are on a direct route, e.g. Detroit to Fort Myers for him includes a week at Topsail and sometimes a few days around Crystal River or Spring Hill to connect with stick and brick snowbirds in the family.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

TlovesBinaRV
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking somewhere in Kentucky or Tennisee on the first night not sure if we'll need another before we actually get to Destin, Fl

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Pick a campground where you MIGHT want to stay and find out if they are open that time of year. The competition will dictate that the nearby CG's will also be open. I doubt there will be any problems finding an open site if the CG is open. You could get a CG directory to make the search easier.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)