cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

snow event

richard_123
Explorer
Explorer
Have just become full timers. First winter in motor-home , presently in NC. Have have temps in the teens for several days each week for last several weeks. Appears that a snow storm is heading our way and will hit in about 24 hours. News states 1-6 inches. I feel that probably should pull in slides so that the slide toppers will not have to hold the snow. Am I being to cautious by pulling in the slides and live that way for a few days. What do the other full timers do when situation arises.
24 REPLIES 24

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Last spring we were caught in a late spring snowstorm in Richmond, Virginia. We were leaving the next day to go to our daughter's in Charlottesville. We didn't take the slides in. It was a heavy, wet snow. In the morning, the slides would not come in because of the weight on the slide toppers. I bundled up, went up the back ladder and crawled on the roof, which was super, super slick. I crawled and moved around to clear all four slide toppers with a brush. I had to crawl because the wet snow on the fiberglass was too slick. By the time I finished, I was soaking wet and cold, but mission accomplished. Next time, we will take in the slides first. Lesson learned.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
We've used our camper for the past 3 winters in Mass...we leave the slides out all winter, as does everyone else that winter camps with us.
No damage at all. As stated above...when the snow melts, the springs take up the slack and all is good.

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer 😞
3 Maine Coon cats

Band47
Explorer
Explorer
One other thought. Depending on if you are on level ground and if the ground the ground freezes, you may want to raise your jacks. A few weeks ago we were in North Alabama and the temps dropped into the single digits with a wet ground........some folks left their jacks down and they had a hard time getting them up. One person tore his jacks off t
rying to raise them.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be leaving them out. Can't think of any good reason not to. They can handle that little bit of snow...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
I would say it depends on how tight things will be with them in. My 5er is a 40 footer with 3 slides, pull them in and you might as well go stay in the truck.

1-6 inches I'm leaving the slides out, the toppers will be ok and like already said the snow will probably be gone in a few days. Even if it did snow a lot more than 6in and it didn't go away in a few days you could always get a ladder and a broom and push it off.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

richard_123
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the advice. I will pull in the slides. Followed by taking wife, if she desires to a nice hotel for a few days.

journey15
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I would bring the slides in before the snow starts and deal with it. The good thing about where you are is in a few days, it will be gone. The other thing is, once it stops, you will be able to put your slides out without any worries. The thing I would worry about is ice when the snow melts and then refreezes at night. It is a lot less trouble and cheaper to pull them in than deal with ice on a slide topper.
Full Timing June 2015
07 Allegro Bus 40QSP
08 Honda CRV EXL with Blue OX and US Gear Braking System
FMCA #381833

n4gnn n4hon
I Never Look Back, I'm Not Going That Way!

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
We have seen partially inflated beach balls that tighten the slide toppers in snow events!

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
A smaller space is easier to heat.
be sure you have plenty Propane.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
It is your choice. When we lived in our rig in winter in snow country we pulled in our main room slide but left the bedroom one out (we have 2 slides not 3 or 4). Unless your slide toppers are old and brittle the snow will just weigh them down and the spring will tighten them back up when the snow is swept off. The main benefit is less space to heat, help reduce draft around the slide (mainly at the floor), and may help keep the pipes from freezing in your kitchen sink if it's on a slide.

You can try it with the slide out but I'd pull in the slide before it snows not after. If the snow event will be short it's not that inconvenient to live with the main slide pulled in. If you have a 4 slide out rig...it will get a bit cramped so again...it's your choice.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad