cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some folks just don't care...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had an interesting experience recently at the CG. I noticed our new neighbor had a beautiful, brand new Leisure Travel Libero B+. I wandered over and we started chatting out our rigs. Not being familiar with his coach I asked what engine/drive train it had. He thought about for a moment and then said: I don't know."

He walked around to the front and pointed at the Chevrolet emblem on the hood, "Some kind of Chevy I guess, I just put gas in it." I was more than a tad surprised, I mean this guy just dropped around $125,000+ on this gorgeous coach and he had no clue what was under the hood. Now I am not a motor head per se but am still having a hard time wrapping my head around not knowing or obviously caring. :h It obviously works for him and I have no problem with that, like a said a gorgeous coach, I am guessing it was the 6L. I didn't bother asking about the mileage. :B
49 REPLIES 49

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I do not see what the problem is here. Thousands of people spend a lot of big money on computers and do not know what processor they have, what software or no clue as to how they work or how to fix them. How is that different?

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
Yup. Some people just don't care.
::: shrug:::
If it wasn't for the overblown sense of curiousity about all manner of things with which I've been cursed, I probably wouldn't care either.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most people know little about the vehicles they buy and drive (else we would not be able to put luxury brand badges on cars and sell them at a premium) nor do they know anything about how their house is made, nor how anything works.

You need not be a gearhead to own a RV, but it helps keep operating costs down.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I was at a mall a few years ago and this guy approached me and asked if I'd help in a research project. I said, "OK". Next thing I knew I was in a chair at a table with instructions to simply read through this mock-up magazine. He gave me about 10 minutes. Well, I wasn't sure what this was all about, so I went through it pretty careful, as much as 10 minutes would allow.

After the "study" time, he started asking a bunch of questions about the mock-up magazine and he was taking score. First few questions were like, "Out of the entire magazine, what one item popped out at you the most?" Out of everything in the magazine, what single item caught your eye with the best color design? On and on he went. Well my answers were causing him some aggravation, I could see the wrinkles on his brow begin to form and a frowned face.

I found some of the articles interesting, and actually enjoyed the magazine. It had quite a variety of stuff, everything from home decorating to lawn mower mechanics in the articles... strange combination of stuff, but he never did tell me the "name" of the magazine.

Finally, out of desperation, he said, turn to page such-and-such. So I did. Then he flat out asked ... "Did you even notice this ad for motor oil?" And I said "no"! He was furious!

So you know, I'm on one of those characters that couldn't care less about what's under the hood of my vehicles. All I know my truck has the biggest engine I can have at the price I could afford and it tows just fine. My car on the other hand, has such a little engine, that if more than my wife, me and the dog ride in it, and we add a loaf of bread, it only runs ... down hill! (well, not that bad). But you know what I mean!

So ya, some folks really don't care as long as the vehicle moves under it's own power! (I'm one of them).... and thank-goodness for my mechanic who has both my vehicles on a schedule. For me ... well ... this works!

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm no motorhead. I'm just not interested. Fortunately, the dealer where I bought it is 2 miles from home and they know how to fix it. If I tried to fix it myself, they'd have to tow it in, fix what I fixed and then fix what was really broken. I don't have a problem with that and neither do they. I don't know or care why it bothers the OP. He ain't paying for it.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
wolfe10 wrote:
We have brought up whole generations to disdain anything mechanical.

Doing physical work is to be "paid for".

Why should an RV be any different than their automobile?

There have always been mechanically inclined people and those who can't turn a screw. This is not a recent/new phenomenon

Or me, I spent 20 plus years doing all my own car work. And motorcycle and boat work. ( that last boat with those 2 327 rambler blocks. boy that brings back some not so good memories) I used to know how to work on cars, not so much now.

I just flat do not like pulling wrenches. Want to build a fence or a deck I am all over it. And still do that work, and enjoy it

I consider it a huge luxury, to be able to afford to pay someone else, to do work I not only distain, but Hate.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
How did this turn into working on stuff?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Altern wrote:
I have a friend somewhat like that. Hand him a screwdriver and he wouldn't know its working end, but he's a genius at making money.
He contends its simpler to hire someone to operate the screwdriver. :B

Clearly he learned the meaning of "opportunity cost" when he studied economics!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why should he care? It does what he wants it to, gets him there and back. AND truth be told. You really can't work on the new engines any way. So it don't matter.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
wolfe10 wrote:

There have always been mechanically inclined people and those who can't turn a screw. This is not a recent/new phenomenon
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
When I was younger, and had to work on the things, I cared a lot more.
Now I could tell you who made it, and if it was a 4, 6, 8, or 10. In my cars or RV. And thats about it.

Other than that, I very much enjoy having a trusted mechanic. And letting him worry about fixing it. And doing the maintance work.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
As long as these type folks are fine with that so am I, but then I don't want to hear a sad story about when he's stuck somewhere and can't get any help cause he can't describe his problem, or someone charges him $600 for an oil change.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
WyoTraveler wrote:
Could be he just didn't want to have further conversation about it. I have met RVers that want to be social and talk and others not so much.

I don't think so. He was very friendly and we chatted for about 20 minutes on a variety of topics, a very nice guy. :C

MobileBasset
Explorer
Explorer
There are people who wear clothes but don't know how to sew on a button or replace a zipper. There are those who love to eat well but can't cook and don't know what the ingredients are in their food.
X2 on the different strokes.
MobileBasset
2014 Itasca Spirit 25B on Chevy Express 3500 chassis
Daisy and Hank the Basset Hounds