Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sprinter tire carrier / Continental Kit

SBradley
Explorer
Explorer
Sprinter tire carrier / Continental Kit

I have the 2012 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, the generator installation forces me to carry the spare under the rear seat. That takes up to much room, as we all know I don't have any to spare.

I am trying to find a tire carrier similar to the one on the Leisure Travel Sprinter. I have the towing package so it would be possible to
use the hitch or frame to mount the carrier.

Continental kit and assisted Tire holder, does anyone know where I can find one or something similar? Near Las Vegas.

Thank you,
Bradley C.
S Bradley
Navion IQ 24V
8 REPLIES 8

mobileempire
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to build a DIY tire carrier , I plan to mount it to the bumper instead of the frame , I'll have a pin that you pull out so that it will swing down to the down position so I can load/unload the tire , I'll try to post some pictures of my design.
Its about the same design as the Road treks tire carrier except it will be mounted to bumper instead of the frame or the hitch.

Really aint that much to it
I got the metal out of a scrap pile ( 1x2" tubeing about 5 foot long and a little 2"x2" square tubeing
I'll buy 3 wheel studs from auto parts store that I'll have a welder weld on .
6"x6" 10 guage steel plate to thread the wheel studs through
I'll cut everything to size and then take the parts to local welder
I'll need a couple of grade 8 bolts and nuts for the swing down portion and the pin
Paint & Clear coat
Dont know what I'll do for a tire cover because I'll need one like the Road Trek one thats got the hump

Express recessed dash , propex heater , remote c L.E.D lights , remote c DVD usb deck with ghosted face plate , under seat boxes ,remote start keyless entry ,invertor , Honda 2000i , 8000 btu AC 12v Tv,galaxy S3 , BT keyboardmouse , recessed showerpan

OKPETE
Explorer
Explorer
Lindsay C wrote:
I'm in the process of going through this with our 2011 Plateau TS. I have learned that for 2014, Pleasure Way offers as an option a rear chassis mounted continental spare tire kit that can be utilized on the 2007s and later. It can be seen in photos of 2014 rigs. The kit is available from P-W through a dealer. Not cheap, but on our planned BIG RV trip, we need the under-the-bed storage space, and won't travel without the spare. My quote was $1180 for parts, $300 for shipping to NH, and $55 for a broker/importer. I hope to have a local garage do the installation. I'll know in a month or so how it works out.

Hello,
The pleasureway tire carrier is nicely made but is very heavy and does not have any form of spring to help with the 80 pds of weight you are lifting or lowering

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
To be legal you need to have a rear fire escape, so one of the rear doors need to open from the inside.

Heapie
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,

I have been trying to put my spare tire on the back. I have had a new hitch put on, but can't seem to find the rest of it, except at a very high price. I think I can put a THULE 2 bike rack and modify it. Any ideas. I own a 2002 RT190V, Chev 3500.

Heapie.

Lindsay_C
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the process of going through this with our 2011 Plateau TS. I have learned that for 2014, Pleasure Way offers as an option a rear chassis mounted continental spare tire kit that can be utilized on the 2007s and later. It can be seen in photos of 2014 rigs. The kit is available from P-W through a dealer. Not cheap, but on our planned BIG RV trip, we need the under-the-bed storage space, and won't travel without the spare. My quote was $1180 for parts, $300 for shipping to NH, and $55 for a broker/importer. I hope to have a local garage do the installation. I'll know in a month or so how it works out.

gonetothedogs1
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.upscaleauto.com/rear_tire_carrier.htm

ffjeff
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.eurocampers.com/Sprinter-Rear-Tire-Racks_c_72.html

jjrai
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Leisure Trevel with the spare tire kit. The spare tire kit bolts onto the square tube cross member of the trailer hitch. You can offset it appropriately. Leisure Travel probably sells them but I bet you can do some Googling and find one for less. Also, try camping world.