cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

squeaky Rig

kcgaz
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new to us 2003 Holiday Rambler Vacationer that has a terrible squeak when driving down the road. It sounds like it is right below the driver's side of the rig, any ideas on what I should check?
8 REPLIES 8

kcgaz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I will get under there when it cools down here and check it out!

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Just another thought.... Assuming it's on the F53 chassis, it could be the sway bar bushing. If it wasn't properly lubricated when installed, or it is worn it may be squeaking when the sway bar flexes.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
wildmanbaker wrote:
Ron, I believe he has a gas rig, and the steering gear should be bolted to the frame.

That is correct but the top of the steering wheel shaft is connected to the dash and if the dash moves, so does the steering wheel, which can cause the cruise control to kick off and the whole assembly to squeak.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Ron, I believe he has a gas rig, and the steering gear should be bolted to the frame.
Wildmanbaker

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Crawl underneath and look back in front of the front wheels. You will see a steel box structure that attaches the front cap to the frame. This is a known issue and it may have broken welds or incomplete welds where only a tack weld was used to hold the structure together. This sometimes results in the cruise control kicking off, the dash rattling, the windshield wipers jumping, etc. The bad/missing welds cannot be seen without crawling under the front end of the coach and then looking towards the front frame in front of the front wheels.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
It may be a bad or broken weld in the support structure for the dash. If it comes and goes, it will be a bugger to find. Good luck.
Wildmanbaker

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
possibly a loose fender just under driver?
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Suspension ?, leaf springs, shocks, etc..