cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starting reseach on Super-C, Thoughts? Opinions?

cajundrag
Explorer
Explorer
I enjoyed reading the thread on 6 months of research on Class C Rv's. But since I think my questions may be more specific to my needs or wants and not wanting to derail his thread here goes my questions. Here are my needs or wants. I don't think I really need a Class A Diesel. Plus I wonder about some of the towing capacity of these. We drag race as a family both kids and adults. I tow a 28ft enclosed trailer with the race car, parts, etc. Total weight of the trailer & contents around 7000lbs or so. I am currently zeroing in on two models the Jayco Seneca FS and the Thor Chateau 25SB. Because we have kids etc racing, we like the bunkhouse models. Now if money was no object, I think my choice would be made as I would choose the Jayco as it seems more heavy duty. But being a Ford guy at heart the Thor model interests me for a few reasons. No 1 the cost difference, No 2 like I said I am Ford guy(except for the dragster it's a Chevy engine, numerous reasons ๐Ÿ™‚ ). I believe the Powerstroke 6.7 to be a good engine platform. No 3 towing differentials. If you look at the links below the difference in the GVWR & GCWR looks to be significantly more. So in my simple mind that means I can tow a heavier load. I presume what I give up would be not being able to carry as heavy a load in the RV itself? Our usage of the RV would be maybe 2 times monthly on average, mostly fairly local 100-200 radius per trip. Maybe an occasionaly longer trip of a 500-800 mile radius. I have seen the Jayco in person, very impressive. I plan on going see both to compare this weekend at a local RV show. I have read some not so glowing reports on the Thor, but I think this is fairly new model I wonder if some of those are bugs being worked out. I would suspect to see a quality of materials difference between the two, maybe I will know for sure after inspecting both this weekend. Any thoughts? Opinions? Comments would be appreciated.

http://dev.chateau-super-c.com/floorplans

http://www.jayco.com/products/class-c-motorhomes/2015-seneca/floorplans-and-prices/
Gary LeBoeuf
Destrehan,La
2017 Nexus Phantom 35SC
13 REPLIES 13

cajundrag
Explorer
Explorer
Well Ft Worth is closer than Elkhardt In but still not right around the corner. Nexus is still on my radar. Explorer1016 posted a good link to a well written review. Good stuff.
Gary LeBoeuf
Destrehan,La
2017 Nexus Phantom 35SC

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
My Nexus is on YouTube and Nexus now has a showroom in Ft. Worth, Texas so if you are close you can look at their models.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler

cajundrag
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys for all the input. i appreciate it and it helps a lot. I have been watching the nexxus line too. And I really like them, I just wish I could see one in person. I saw on their website where they listed at least a couple of service centers close to where we live, so that's good. It appears that they are updating their website with new information about their 2016 line of motorhomes. From a size perspective I believe I would like to stay in the 35-37 ft size. Another thing I am looking at is because we tow a fairly long trailer(28ft) you can get into size restrictions on length. I think Texas is 65ft total. After that you may need to get a CDL lic? or just ticketed outright? I will continue my research so please add comments if you have any,I will continue to try and see a Nexxus in person somehow........ ๐Ÿ™‚
Gary LeBoeuf
Destrehan,La
2017 Nexus Phantom 35SC

dsteinman
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous motorhome was a 2007 Four Winds 34H super C on the Chevy Kodiak 5500 chassis. We currently have a 2012 Fleetwood 40G class A diesel. These are both similar floor plans with bunk beds.

Price wise I think the Jayco would be in between these two. When we got the first motorhome, price wise it was about the same as a class A gas with the same floorplan. So, that wasn't too much of a decision. The super C could tow 6500 lbs. And we had a 5200 lb. Dodge Durango to tow. At this length, unless you specifically want to use the front seats while stopped, there isn't much difference between the super C and class A gas of the same length.

Now, when we looked at upgrading, the Jayco is getting close to the same length as our class A. But, even though we don't use the front seats when stopped, there is still much more interior and exterior space in the class A. Also, ours can tow 10,000 lbs.

I did many suspension upgrades to the Chevy Kodiaks which were needed on this chassis. But in the end, the Four Winds was easier to drive, and handled the curve in the mountains better and it did also kept it's speed up better going up hills. But, of course this depends on the specific models your are looking at. The super C had the Chevy Duramax and our Fleetwood has the Cummins ISC 8.3. Basically, then Fleetwood has about 50% more power and 50% more weight.

The class A definitely rides better with it's air suspension.

While driving the overhang of a class C is nice to shield the sun and while stopped it doesn't heat up as much in the sun either. But the view is certainly better in the class A.

They also both got about 8.3 miles per gallon. Although this past year the Fleetwood has been getting a bit better.

In general of course the Fleetwood is a huge upgrade over the Four Winds 34H.

David
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Explorer1016
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Cajun. I have a Super C and I also tow a heavy trailer. My trailer weighs closer to 9000# when loaded. You need to find an RV built on no less than a class 5 chassis, however, with that being said, the older Seneca's on the Kodiak chassis had a lower tow rating due to the extensions on the rear to build the box on (or house, coach, whichever makes sense) and the smaller version Allison transmission. The Duramax in the Kodiak was derated as well and they lacked for power. That becomes a huge deal when towing through mountainous regions. You said you had some concerns about Nexus. I have been watching and learning about Nexus from their inception several years ago and I like what they are doing. factory direct does not mean you cannot get your rig worked on. They will pay another repair facility to fix any warranty issues you have and the best part is they are extremely reasonably priced. The Navistar Terra Star chassis or even the larger Dura Star will handle your trailer with ease and safely. There is an excellent write up on this forum from a guy who bought a 32SC last summer http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28036931.cfm

This guy, Mike, has owner several RV's and explains the different models he researched in very good detail. I am towing with the Ford F550 4x4 chassis and am satisfied for now but have thought many times about my next move and since I do not have the cash to buy an EarthRoamer, the Nexus 32SC would more than likely be my next rig.

There is also an in depth thread on here about the Thor Super C RV. I looked at the Thor in person and there are many many reasons why I would not buy that unit but, this is why we have opinions. The household refrigerator will eat batteries very fast and unless you are always plugged in to 110/120 you will constantly be running your generator to keep your refer running. To me, our RV is to have creature comforts out in the wilderness and not be dependent upon electricity or whatever, and the Thor ties you to all of that. The thread is interesting, detailed and sometimes scary explaining many of the owner issues.

There is a 2012 Host 30' 4x4 on the F550 chassis on eBay currently. That is a very nice rig (same as mine) but it may not be big enough for you with kids even though it has 2 jack knife beds, but it will tow your trailer. You have the Dynamax Isata F series also, but hey are pricy like the new Seneca built on the M2 chassis. Unless you go to an A, your choices in the Super C are somewhat limited. I like the way the truck chassis drives vs a Class A bus type chassis. Also, if you take the class A pusher off of pavement you always have to be concerned about the air filter. Many pushers place the air filter directly behind the rear tires and when on unpaved surfaces, or race track infields, you will pull a lot of dirt into your filter. I have been told the air filter for a Cummins is several hundred dollars. So even though you might get a lot of bang for your buck with a Class A, they aren't necessarily built for exploring off of unimproved surfaces. Some A's do not drive very well on the interstate due to the CG being so far to the rear of the chassis.

Don't jump into an expensive mistake. Do as much research as you can and best of luck to you. My vote is for the Nexus 32SC with bunk house for you, but, it's not my money. Just friendly advise!
2008 Host 300 Super 'C'
2008 Ford F-550 Chassis
Diesel
4x4
Lariat crew cab
20' enclosed car hauler/garage
'87 Jeep rock crawler
Turbo'd

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest finding out what the MH builder actually rates the vehicle to tow. The GCWR that the chassis builder rates the vehicle for, is not necessarily the same as what the MH builder will rate it for.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

cajundrag
Explorer
Explorer
Well I think the thing that has me stumped on the Class A diesel is GVWR/GCWR capacitites. I may be thinking about this wrong but it seems the GVWR's are lower on the Super-C giving me more room to meet the GCWR numbers. Plus I am thinking the fuel mileage would be better on the Super-C's. But I don't really know hence the reason I am asking questions. ๐Ÿ™‚

P.S. I am not opposed to the class A's at all, I am really open, and basically on a fact finding mission. I kind alike the concept of the Super C's with the engine out front, instead of a bus type chassis. I have heard they are easier to get folks to work on them because of that. Don't know how true that is. But towing capacitiy is a big deal to me.
Gary LeBoeuf
Destrehan,La
2017 Nexus Phantom 35SC

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Just casually shopping it seemed to me you could get a Class A diesel for about the same price as a Super C.

I would choose a Class A over a Class C or Super C. I see more Class As pulling race car trailers than any other type of MH.

cajundrag
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen the SENECA in person and it is nice rig. Just more than I want to spend unless I have too. ๐Ÿ™‚ I intend to see both this weekend in person to compare at least visually. Thanks
Gary LeBoeuf
Destrehan,La
2017 Nexus Phantom 35SC

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Have you seen either one in person?
We saw both and there was no way we would purchase the Thor. We saw 2 2014 models and both had major problems with slides and fit and finish (on one, the flooring didn't make it all the way to the cabinet, which had a large hole in it at the base). The Seneca was a beautiful, well constructed rig but longer than we wanted.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
I don't really have much to offer other than just drooling over the Seneca at the rv show a couple weeks ago.Having owned a starcraft tt (owned by Jayco) we have been very happy with their product and cust. service.

I have heard Thor products have had some reputation issues but have no firsthand knowledge.

cajundrag
Explorer
Explorer
I have looked at the Nexxus the problem I have is they sell pretty much direct. Which may save you some in initial cost or so they say. But I have no dealer locally to deal with if problems arise?
Gary LeBoeuf
Destrehan,La
2017 Nexus Phantom 35SC

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
I would check out Nexus Super C. They have a 36' Ghost with bunks.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler