cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange odor at night

Wildflower
Explorer
Explorer
We have a strange thing happening. We have the macerater on our Ambassador so gray water isn't draining automatically. Changed filters two days ago and since then we are experiencing a strange smell that pops up evenings. Almost a stagnant water smell. The weird thing is it's gone in the morning. I don't know how else to explain the problem. Any ideas?
12 REPLIES 12

RVMike
Explorer
Explorer
delete

RVMike
Explorer
Explorer
Feet ?

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
We have had issues that were apparently related to the particular campground we were in. Only in the evening / night we would smell nasty sewer odor. So bad DW had me looking all over for what was leaking etc. on our moho; nothing. We eventually figured out it was caused by some temperature and or fog/moisture/pressure combination that brought up the smell. Have experienced similar in more than one park.
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD

Wildflower
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate everyone's input. There are a couple of suggestions in particular that are worth checking. Really do thank everyone. (We have no neighbor's right now so it's not that.)

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Check the Washer/dryer drain system. If you do NOT have a washer, then the unit may be plumbed for one and that has a P trap that if no water will allow gray odors up. IF you have a washer but have not used it in awhile, that P trap may be empty also. Also, check the mechanical vents under each sink. IF that seal on those goes bad, you will get Gray odors in the RV. Doug

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Wildflower wrote:
SCV Jeff, I know it's a strange combination but wanted to provide information. New filters on on the fresh water and the macerater is in use vs the sewer hose yet we're getting what seems to be a stagnant water smell.
Work with me here ????
I doubt the two are related. Is the dump valve left open? If you have the external Macerator box with the ~3' main hose from the dump valve into the pump (?), that hose is thick and flexible and obviously liquid-tight, but the vapor smell permeates right through it. Even rinsing doesn't completely clear the problem. Mebbe this?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Wildflower wrote:
We have a strange thing happening. We have the macerater on our Ambassador so gray water isn't draining automatically. Changed filters two days ago and since then we are experiencing a strange smell that pops up evenings. Almost a stagnant water smell. The weird thing is it's gone in the morning. I don't know how else to explain the problem. Any ideas?

Just a thought is your neighbor dumping his grey water (letting it drain on the ground) when he or she showers at night.

JimR

Community Alumni
Not applicable
happycamper002 wrote:
Macerator is basically a positive displacement pump. It acts like vacuum cleaner. When you operate it, it sucks mostly all liquid in your plumbing system including the seal water in your p-trap in your sink and shower stall.
So,you are left with a clear "tunnel" to the CG sewer system. When you operate your macerator don't leave it running too long. . .just enough so you drain whatever is in the black or gray tank. After you're done with your
hygiene business for the night, pour some water in each of your sink/s and shower stall drains to achieve the seal.
Better still,don't use the macerator when you are ready to retire for the night.

Have a good night's sleep and sweet dreams.

You are forgetting that there are vents on those tanks so I do not see how the water is sucked out of the traps.

jimR

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
Macerator is basically a positive displacement pump. It acts like vacuum cleaner. When you operate it, it sucks mostly all liquid in your plumbing system including the seal water in your p-trap in your sink and shower stall.
So,you are left with a clear "tunnel" to the CG sewer system. When you operate your macerator don't leave it running too long. . .just enough so you drain whatever is in the black or gray tank. After you're done with your
hygiene business for the night, pour some water in each of your sink/s and shower stall drains to achieve the seal.
Better still,don't use the macerator when you are ready to retire for the night.

Have a good night's sleep and sweet dreams.

Wildflower
Explorer
Explorer
SCV Jeff, I know it's a strange combination but wanted to provide information. New filters on on the fresh water and the macerater is in use vs the sewer hose yet we're getting what seems to be a stagnant water smell.
Work with me here ????

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You might check the air admittance valves that are usually found under the sinks for the drains. They have a flimsy check valve and can stick open after a while.
They simply unscrew so replacement is easy. In fact you can buy a much better quality part.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Macerator?
Filters?

Those two together don't make sense..
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350