Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protectors

iquilt888
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a class A motor home.

I've heard that surge protectors are a necessary item. I'm not sure they are. If there is anyone with an idea on this please jump right in.

Once folks do jump in can you address the portable vs the hard wired.

Thanks so much.
50 REPLIES 50

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
We prefer to have one. We have a Progressive Industries 50 amp Hard Wired Unit. We felt it best to have one since we travel to many different campgrounds. While you can check the pedestal before plugging in, that is only a reading for that moment in time. We prefer to be out and about and not sitting around the campground checking a monitor to see if the power goes up too high or browns out when everyone's Air conditioners kick on all at once. We also plan to keep this motorhome for a very long time and see a Progressive Industries unit as an investment in preventive maintenance.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I didn't use one for 10 years and never had a problem. Then one day I did have a problem and after replacing several items I wouldn't plug into a power pedestal without one. Lesson learned for me. Not only do they protect against power surges but also low and high voltage and polarity. Jmo

Roundtwo-40
Explorer
Explorer
No, you do not HAVE to have one, many do not with no problems, I have one because it gives me peace of mind, look around your rig and figure how much it will cost to replace your electronics (including AC) and make your own decision.

On edit: also mine is the portable variant.
2013 Jayco Eagle 328RLTS w/15K AC
2013 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4X4
Equalizer 14K,PI PT30C Surge

tmmar
Explorer
Explorer
I too was skeptical at first. Then I purchased a Progressive portable surge suppressor. I have found that it has alerted me and also tripped saving my coach from high voltage situations, conditions where the voltage was low and the frequency of the electric coming into the coach was out of spec. And this occurred at well known campgrounds (Disney's Fort Wilderness, Hershey High Meadow campground, Boyd's in Key West and others as well). I would definitely recommend getting one.

Berniross said "I'm sure you will get lots of folks who say you have to have them. I've been RVing for 16 years without and never had a problem."
Maybe he just got away without knowing he had a problem. There was a situation at one campground where my air conditioners were not functioning properly. Went out and checked my Progressive unit and found that the electric coming in was at 101 volts- way too low to provide enough power to my coach. I had to move to a different site (this was on a July 4th weekend) for them find one that had the appropriate power. A number of others in the same area were unaware of any problems.
I for one will always have one.
JMHO.
2014 40' Forest River Berkshire DP Bunkhouse

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Surge protection2010
Surge, 2010, 50a
Surge, Class A, 2011
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

berniross
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure you will get lots of folks who say you have to have them. I've been RVing for 16 years without and never had a problem.
2013 Crossroads Cruiser SK 305
2012 Silverado 2500 Duramax
SuperGlide 16K
Advantage PressurePro