cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rocks in tire treads

Skipg
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you RV'ers remove the rocks from your tire treads when you leave a park.Is it necessary,does it cause damage to the tire if not removed? Will they work out on there own? It happened to me this morning when we got on the road the front end was thumping. Cause was rocks caught in the treads. Feed back please.
10 REPLIES 10

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
Just make sure that there are no rocks between your duallys!! A very fast guaranteed way to blow out one tire and ruin the other!

Can also be deadly ~ a man near here was killed when a rock was thrown from between the rear duallies on a truck, and smashed through his windshield.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Just make sure that there are no rocks between your duallys!! A very fast guaranteed way to blow out one tire and ruin the other!
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I always pick my rocks out of the tire tread! I use a old phillips screwdriver and ground the end of the screwdriver to resemble an ice pick. The rocks come right out! If you don't remove the rocks they will come out sometime while you are driving. If you have mud flaps that will stop them from hitting someone else's car from behind. What most people don't think about is they can fly out in the forward position and hit a vehicle coming at you in the opposite direction. Good Question!

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
The rocks caught in the tread always seem to grind themselves down even with the tread. I've used my car key to pluck them out on occasion but there is always a new rocky campground at the next stop!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
jsmart wrote:
Ron, I'm missing a 7/16" open end. Was at the Burlington KOA this weekend.

That's funny.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

jsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Ron, I'm missing a 7/16" open end. Was at the Burlington KOA this weekend.
2002 Itasca Sunrise 32V

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
The only rocks I have problems with are the ones in my head.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
I caught a 7/16" open end wrench in my tire tread that caused a blow-out in my Jeep right rear tire. I changed the tire and drove to Les Schwab Tires. They were amazed, and tried to remove the wrench, but couldn't, and wanted to mount it on the wall.

I went to the local auto parts store, and wanted to know if anyone came in asking for a 7/16" open end wrench... I wanted to have a conversation.

I have not had a problem with gravel caught in the treads.
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
Rocks in tire treads will usually clear themselves when you start driving. Not likely to cause tire damage. I live at the end of a gravel road, and have never had an issue with this. Just look out for large rocks that can get lodged between the rear duals, that can pose a dangerous situation.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not much you can do about it. Keep the speed down until they spit out and the ride smooths