Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge Protectors

iquilt888
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a class A motor home.

I've heard that surge protectors are a necessary item. I'm not sure they are. If there is anyone with an idea on this please jump right in.

Once folks do jump in can you address the portable vs the hard wired.

Thanks so much.
50 REPLIES 50

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Progressive and it stopped working when torrential rainwater water got inside. While they say it is water resistant, they cheerfully replaced the unit at no cost and that was after two years of use. Friends also had one stop working and they repaired it and returned it at no cost. I have had my power shut off for low power several times over the years. This has become an essential piece of RV equipment to me. May you never need one if going without................

iquilt888
Explorer
Explorer
Someone, don't exactly remember who, suggested that the progressive surge protector was the best. So that is what I got. It has a lifetime guarantee not exactly sure what that means if it doesn't work as advertised.

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
JimM68 wrote:
as an electronics professional....

1: a surge protector only works ONCE. if it ever does its job, you need a new one. and I've never seen one kind enuf to tell you.

2: see above.

I don't use one. I don't use a water pressure regulator either. I guess I like to live on the wild side.

I am just as concerned with over/under voltage control , miswiring, and delayed restart to protect AC condenser as I am voltage spikes. that Is why I insist on a multi-function surge protector, not the typical $100 special.
bumpy

X2!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
JimM68 wrote:

1: a surge protector only works ONCE. if it ever does its job, you need a new one. and I've never seen one kind enuf to tell you.

I don't use one. I don't use a water pressure regulator either. I guess I like to live on the wild side.

I am just as concerned with over/under voltage control , miswiring, and delayed restart to protect AC condenser as I am voltage spikes. that Is why I insist on a multi-function surge protector, not the typical $100 special.
bumpy

iquilt888
Explorer
Explorer
We are not in the lightening belt that's for sure. That is not to say that we never have lightening.
What I worry about most is being somewhere and the power sources are old and over worked.
Will definitely put in new batteries on all my detectors before heading out. The dealership was supposed to do this but not sure they did. Like you, better to be safe than sorry.
Now that you mention a fire extinguisher, I'm not sure there is even one in the coach. That will go on my list of things to check. Thanks for reminding me.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer

Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

royl
Explorer
Explorer
I am from the lightning capital of the US, the panhandle of Florida and was a Firefighter so I know lightening strikes. I have the hardwired progressive unit on the coach and everything inside is also plugged into surge protectors. My satelite and TV is also plugged into a backup battery with surge protection. I have an automatic fire extinguisher in my frig compartment and one inside and one outside the coach that I have never had to use,but they are there if I need them anyway. I think that being over protected is better that the alternative. While on the subject make sure and check your batteries on your smoke and CO detectors. Just in case. ๐Ÿ™‚
Roy & Sabine
2000 Coachman Classic 27 RK Fifthwheel
1992 Dodge D250

iquilt888
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought the motor home the mechanic that did the "this is how it works tour" said to keep the shore power plugged into the plug that is run by the generator in case we needed to run something in the coach running down the road using the generator.
With that said if the portable surge protector was plugged into the shore power cord then plugged into the coach would that not work?

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
iquilt888 wrote:
Bit the bullet and bought a Progressive surge protector.
Now my question is can the surge protector, it's the portable one, be used between the generator and the coach hook-up? Not exactly sure how that would work but is it even possible?
Portable no or at least not easily unless you plug your shore power into the generator. If you return it for a built in unit it can be installed after the power transfer switch and before the breaker panel which will give you protection from problems with either power source.

I have a 50 amp portable. Was the second expense related to the coach with the first being the down payment. Have yet to remove it from the end of my shore power cable after three years. had it trip a couple of times due to low volts which is pretty hard on the AC compressor.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

iquilt888
Explorer
Explorer
Bit the bullet and bought a Progressive surge protector.
Now my question is can the surge protector, it's the portable one, be used between the generator and the coach hook-up? Not exactly sure how that would work but is it even possible?

Pass42
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought progressive 50 amp hardwired unit....excellent unit www.lawrencerv.com is their largest dealer...plugged in shore power...immediately got a low voltage reading on line 2....i'm pleased already.....
2017 Montana High Country 375FL
2015 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty, Cummins 6.7, factory tow package, factory snow plow prep package

JTHarley
Explorer
Explorer
It only takes one power surge or storm to blow out 10K +++ in electronics. I can't imagine why people spend so much on their house on wheels then balk at a $250 surge protector...seems silly to me but that's just my opinion.
Jim , MJ & Spirit of Sambuca Bear
2015 Dynamax DQ320XL
Jeep Sahara Toad

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
I think of electrical protection like a seat belt. If you ever need it you will be glad you have it.

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi iquilt,

Progressive has a lifetime warranty policy. Buy from them or from a reseller of their product, if you must have such a device.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.