cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sway bars???

granny_6
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 Gerogetown and would like to hear from any of you who have put any type of sway bars on your motorhome. Not happy with the drive and handling of the motorhome.

Thanks for your help.
5 REPLIES 5

backroads___
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 97 fleetwood flair F53 chassis. when I purchased it 9 mo. ago , it had a lot of sway .In checking it out the bushings were worn out on the sway bars. That with new shocks, also very soft ,bushings front and back and a front end alienment solved my problem.Now drives as close to a new one as I'll ever get.A shop that works on big trucks might save you a little money..thats what I used.

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replacing the original shocks with Konis made a huge difference for us. We had already added sway bars. (Wish they would send them out from the factory correct to start with!!!) We now also have a Steer safe which has also helped. This is our third RV, the largest AND had the worst handling of any. Now drives the best. Good luck getting it "tuned" up to drive more easily and safely.

MustangGT
Explorer
Explorer
If your RV suffers from the tail-wagging-the-dog type problem, you should install a rear track-bar. I did and the track-bar almost completely eliminated the big push the camper would get from passing semi's and from strong gusts of wind perpendicular to the vehicle.
Your RV should have air-bags to help the suspension. If they and the tires are inflated correctly you may need to check the front-end alignment. Shocks and springs should be OK in such a newish RV.
I've only driven the one RV I have, so I have nothing to compare it to. Mine may handle like a dump-truck, but I don't care. Adds to the fun.;)
Mark, Jean, Paul & Lizzy (the mutt, RIP)
1997 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 34LS >
Thirsty, noisy & clunky. She ain't pretty, but she sure is fun!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." Enzo Ferrari

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Even if it is the Workhorse chassis, it has the anti-sway bar. For the WH chassis, they are square steel tube bars that are rigid mounted directly to the frame/axle so they do not look like the standard rubber bushing type anti-sway bar.

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
Is that an F53? You should have sway bars. Do a search for cheap handeling fix or PM me on how to adjust the bars. You should think about adding a track bar to the rear.