cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweet Spot for DP Odometer Mileage

deandec
Explorer
Explorer
I have been reading this forum for nearly 13 years.

When it comes to DP purchase targets the common advise from posters is:

If it has too few miles, beware its lack of use.

- OR -

If it has too many miles (100,000+) beware the high mileage wear.

So, how does one determine the mileage that is a safe buy on a Used DP?
Dean
95 CC Magna, Jeep GC
19 REPLIES 19

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
DKeppner wrote:
Its not the mileage, its what happens in between. Was the rig taken care of properly? Are the maintenance records accurate and up to date?

X2

The large diesel in a motor home is the same engine in many semi's and at 100,000 miles we consider it "just broken in".
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

DKeppner
Explorer
Explorer
Its not the mileage, its what happens in between. Was the rig taken care of properly? Are the maintenance records accurate and up to date?
Its not the Destination or the Journey.
Its the Excursion

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
100,000 miles on a diesel engine is near new to anyone who has experience with them. I've drove them most of my adult life everyday!

predawn
Explorer
Explorer
deandec wrote:
I have been reading this forum for nearly 13 years.

When it comes to DP purchase targets the common advise from posters is:

If it has too few miles, beware its lack of use.

- OR -

If it has too many miles (100,000+) beware the high mileage wear.

So, how does one determine the mileage that is a safe buy on a Used DP?

I would sooner buy a (eg) 2009 DPMH with 25K miles than one with 80K miles anyday of the week.
A low mileage motorhome that is serviced and excersied correctly
is going to be in a lot better shape than one used everyday and has high mileage.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is my experience. I bought a DP several years ago with 70,000 miles on it. It ran perfectly with no problems, except replacing the alternator at about 95,000 miles.

I went to trade it in with 140,000 miles on it. Even though the dealer said that this mileage is nothing for a DP, most of his customers still want a DP with less than 100,000 miles.

I ended up getting my current DP about a year ago with 38,000 miles. It runs fine, but within a month I had to have both fuel pumps replaced because they were both leaking. I was told that it was because the rig had been sitting a lot, instead of being used, and the gaskets had dried out.

So, I guess a DP in the mid 2000's with mileage around 70,000 would be the most ideal. Just my thoughts, based on my scenarios.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata