cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

temp gauge on the tranny

tboss
Explorer
Explorer
Can some one tell me where to install a heat sending unit on the tranny for a tranny tempgauge I am plannin to mounted on my dash.
Also where can I purchase the sending unit.. Its a E4OD tranny on a 1994 ford e-350 460 engine.
5 REPLIES 5

jeffengle
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to know how a gauge can read out the horsepower of the engine. Most times you need a dyno for that.

aeejbe
Explorer
Explorer
Bobbo wrote:
I installed a ScanGauge on my MH. I have it programmed to display the transmission temp that it reads from the engine ECM. No modifications to the MH, it plugs into the OBDII port.

The same suggestion occurred to me ... BUT
The 1994 vintage E350-460 owned by the OP, MAY NOT have the OBDII port as required by my ScanGauge.

Had a similar powerplant in a previous coach. I had the sending unit probe attached inside the tranny oil pan at the time of a planned service visit. Worked Good!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed a ScanGauge on my MH. I have it programmed to display the transmission temp that it reads from the engine ECM. No modifications to the MH, it plugs into the OBDII port.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Why bother? The factory cooler kept the transmissions pretty cool. I have a digital transmission gauge on my E-40D transmission on my F-53 based 17,000 pound motorhome. It pretty much stays around 180 F but will increase to about 200F on a long grade. I also have the 460" engine.

What I did was buy a digital transmission gauge at JcWhitney.com and installed it on a 1985 GM motorhome, by removing a pressure tap fitting that is 1/8" NPT. When I sold that RV, I bought my 97 Bounder, and installed the sensor in a similar location, by removing a 1/8" NPT plug. The gauge sits pretty much still once it warms up.

On the 85 GM, the transmission overheated all the time, until I installed a really huge cooler, and then the engine even ran cooler!

JcWhitney.com Then search for digital temp gauge.

I just bought a 2001 E-450 based shuttle bus, and it has the 6.8L V10. I installed a "Edge" CTS digital meter. I can monitor all kinds of things, including transmission temp, engine cylinder temp, horsepower output, ect. Right now I am monitoring RPM, horsepower, MPG and MPG coach.

The transmission ran so cool, that I am no longer concerned with it's temperature. Perhaps if I take it into the mountains, with a heavy load, I will watch the trans temp again? The Edge CTS will plug and play with any 1996 or later OBDII car or truck. Sorry that it will not monitor yours. Then again, at $310, it is a lot more than a few digital gauges that it can replace on a newer vehicle.

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com