cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test drives?

bellolove
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious what your experience has been with dealers and test drives? We visited a dealer this past weekend and looked at a used Class A. The dealer told us they only let you test drive if you fill out all your paperwork and agree to buy if the test drive is satisfactory. Were not just wanting to take a joy ride but I would like to feel the difference in ride in the different models. Is this common where they won't let you test drive?
38 REPLIES 38

DanTheRVMan
Explorer
Explorer
VinCee wrote:
ctpres, If you are looking at Berkshires I would suggest to you to check out RVONE. They have four locations, DesMoines, Buffalo, NY, Albany, NY and Florida. I bought my Georgetown from the Buffalo RV and they do do things differently IMHO. Complained to the owner that the rig was dirty when we took delivery and the dealership paid $337 to an outside company to wash and wax the rig! Pricing is very fair also.

Sorry for dealer review and hi-jacking the thread!

Based on my experience and my personal opinions RVone is the only dealership I have dealt with that I would recommend people run away from. There were several dealers in FL that were over priced imo, but no other dealer was extremely difficult to deal with imo
Dan
Tiffin Phaeton
Allegro Red 36ft Sold

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually I just did a search and I found out this guy is somebody the Mods have been having all kinds of problems with. Sounds like he's got some mental problems. He used to post under the name "Allante" and is now using the name "Deadbat." If he doesn't agree with people he feels the need to send profane private messages to them telling them so.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't mind rude, just no need for your first contact to have the profanity. If he disagrees with something I say he should post it here for all to see. Seems he thinks adding weight to a motorhome doesn't do anything to the ride.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Guys,

If you get a PM like that, just copy and forward it to one of the moderators.

No excuse for rude.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
msmith1199 wrote:
doxiemom11 wrote:
Our gas rig also rides much better with a load. We drove it a couple times with nothing in/on it and it was a rough ride. Felt every bump and was harder to steer.

Just curious, did you get a very rude private message using profanity about your comment here? I got one telling me basically that there is no difference in the ride of a full motorhome versus and empty one and for whatever reason the author decided it needed some profanity in it. (He got some back!)

And this post generated some more hatred from New member "deadbat" from Canada. If anybody else is getting his hatred he should be reported to admin.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
doxiemom11 wrote:
Our gas rig also rides much better with a load. We drove it a couple times with nothing in/on it and it was a rough ride. Felt every bump and was harder to steer.

Just curious, did you get a very rude private message using profanity about your comment here? I got one telling me basically that there is no difference in the ride of a full motorhome versus and empty one and for whatever reason the author decided it needed some profanity in it. (He got some back!)

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
VinCee wrote:
ctpres, If you are looking at Berkshires I would suggest to you to check out RVONE. They have four locations, DesMoines, Buffalo, NY, Albany, NY and Florida. I bought my Georgetown from the Buffalo RV and they do do things differently IMHO. Complained to the owner that the rig was dirty when we took delivery and the dealership paid $337 to an outside company to wash and wax the rig! Pricing is very fair also.

Thanks, we are shopping in FL.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

VinCee
Explorer
Explorer

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
I have been on this Forum for a long time and it would be news to me and several others that dealers are not allowed to post. Through the years there have been many dealers and dealership employees who have contributed a great amount of knowledge. They are though prohibited from posting to publicize their own business as are other commercial enterprises.

As a retired dealer myself, I can certainly appreciate the overwhelming circumstance of dealing with a professional whose stated objective is to sell you an expensive vehicle at the highest price possible. On the other hand, it can also be somewhat frustrating to deal with professionals in other fields whose primary purpose is to make money from the lack of knowledge of the user of their services.

It is always offensive to a group of people to be "despised" because of what they are rather than who they are. People are people...some good and some bad. You can hate the process without condemning everyone involved.

bellolove
Explorer
Explorer
Well we loved the dealer! He was super nice. Best dealer experience we've ever had. Not sure the coach is perfect but pretty close to it. We are considering making an offer. It's a 2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J with bunks. Only 8000 miles on it, looks like it was garage kept. Beautiful leather couch and captains chairs that are super comfy. No marks on anything. And we love the king bed which seems to be hard to find in most of the models we are looking at. The downside is that it's got a Ford V10 and DH would prefer a workhorse chassis and it's a 35 footer when we would prefer the shorter 32K. Although the 32K does have a smaller kitchen but the u-shaped dinette is nicer. Oh decisions! Since we are buying used it has been difficult to find the exact model we want that isn't several states away. The money it will cost us to fly out and drive it home might be worth sacrificing some details for the right price on a local coach.. oh decisions!

Daveinet well the person who messaged me said he was a dealer and I offended him. I didn't know dealers were not allowed to post here. Good to know.. I'm just happy to report that we actually met some really good down-to-earth dealers tonight.. absolutely no pressure and genuinely seemed interested in helping us find what is right for our family. I love that there are good people out there!

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
bellolove wrote:
The salesmen could not figure out how to operate the slides and he admitted he'd never driven a motorhome himself but knew we were former Class A owners.

BINGO! Me thinks the SALESPERSON was the one who was afraid to go for the test drive...time to talk to a manager if you really like that particular coach....good luck in your search...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
bellolove wrote:
My apologies if you are a dealer and are offended.
Dealers and commercial enterprises are not allowed to post here, so if someone posts they are offended, because they are a dealer, something is wrong and it ain't you.
IRV2

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I encountered a salesman who askked me how could I consider choosing a motorhome if I hadn't driven it. I asked if he was offering me a test drive, he said no, unless I am ready to buy right now.
Walked out of there and bought from the dealer who offered to let me drive anything on the lot, after I told him I wasn't sure about driving or buying a MH.

Find the right dealer.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

bellolove
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently I've offended some people by saying I despise dealers. My apologies if you are a dealer and are offended. I should not lump all of you into one category. We haven't had the best experiences.. fact is there are some nasty people out there that will say and do anything to make a deal and I just don't enjoy the haggle. Give me a price and let me walk away if I don't agree. don't PM me and call me a nasty name though.. thanks 🙂