cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for air conditioner replacement

srx-6
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2009 Monaco Camelot, the bedroom ac died over a year ago, the middle one is starting to whine so, this leaves the front getting a real workout. We have Dometic units now and I think I would like to stay with Dometic as install should be straight forward. While doing my research I have discovered that many folks are not pleased with Dometic’s quality and the Brisk units fail quite often. I am looking at cooling units only as we don’t need a heat pump. Airxcel/Coleman and Atwood seem to be decent units.
Looking for pros and cons from those who have replaced units in the past few years. I don’t think we will make a Florida summer with just the one ac so, I need to make a decision soon.
Thanks for any input
JB & MB
2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
2008 Jeep Wrangler
29 REPLIES 29

srx-6
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure what they are. My paperwork states Dometic / Duo Therm ac and heat pump model #630516.331. I can see the control boards so should be easy to remove
JB & MB
2008 Jeep Wrangler

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
That is the difference between Brisk Air and PENGUIN. Penguins come with 10 button control boards and the Brisk Air's are just the upper unit. The install is just 4 bolts per AC and letting the existing control boxes hang loose until you get the roof top unit secured. Do you have Brisk airs already? Most Monaco's came with Penguin's to lower the height of the RV. The OLD Penguin's have the seperate control boxes. Doug

srx-6
Explorer
Explorer
The Brisk Air comes without control boards. If I bought a new thermostat I would have to purchase 3 compatible control boards.
JB & MB
2008 Jeep Wrangler

A1RVTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Is seems silly to remove three brand new circuit boards from three new AC units and then install three used boards from 12 year old AC units. The correct plan is to buy a new 10-button thermostat for less than $100 and upgrade your entire system. It's all plug and play.

Where is the $500 savings?

srx-6
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday I talked with Dometic Customer Service they seemed very helpful and knowledgeable. After many questions they told me, since I was replacing all 3 ac units that I could remove the control boards from the 3 old units and install them into the new Brisk Air II and use my 5 button T stat. This seems to good to be true as this will save about $500. So far PPL has the best price and availability on the Brisk Air. We will be heading home next week so, looks like I will be spending a day on the roof of the camper.
Any advice on the install would be appreciated.
JB & MB
2008 Jeep Wrangler

srx-6
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I will check them out.
JB & MB
2008 Jeep Wrangler

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
When I purchased mine This place was the least expensive at the time. Units arrived real quick and no damage.
The 10 button thermostat I got from PPL
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
srx-6 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the replies. My thoughts were that the Dometic would be the simplest to replace. I will be looking for sales as I will replace all three units . A question about the 10 button thermostat, I assume it will also be able to control the Aqua hot as the 5 button does now.
Thanks again everyone and happy Memorial Day.

Yes, the 10 button controls all types RV furnace systems, including Aqua Hot.

srx-6
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the replies. My thoughts were that the Dometic would be the simplest to replace. I will be looking for sales as I will replace all three units . A question about the 10 button thermostat, I assume it will also be able to control the Aqua hot as the 5 button does now.
Thanks again everyone and happy Memorial Day.
JB & MB
2008 Jeep Wrangler

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I changed both of mine last year. Had original (1998) Dometic heat pump units. Replaced with Dometic Penguin heat pump units and the 10 button thermostat. Very simple plug and play install.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I bought Dometic's high efficiency unit which draws less power. That allows it to run on a Honda 2000.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd go with a mini split system.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I absolutely love out Atwood Air Command. It is so much quieter than the Dometic we had before and much more electrically efficient. I hear they are owned by Dometic now but do not think they have changed the design in any way.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You see more complaints about Dometic because they are the largest supplier. Since they make MORE, they will have more statistical failures. Your tstat and Communication cables and roof top controls are specific to Dometic. If you go to another Brand, you will have to run new Tstat Cables from the wall to the roof and change out the wall tstat and the upper control boards, which adds cost. Since your RV is almost 12 years old, I would purchase 2 Dometic Penguin AC only units and a new 10 Button wall CCC programmable wall Tstat(about $95). This is all plug and play. The wall tstat will control both roof AC's and is programmable. The Dometic Penguins come with the new 10 button control boards already installed. Doug

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have room in a basement storage bay that you might be able to get a split system installed?

They have dual and even triple zone systems that use one condenser/compressor unit.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed