cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Rotation

Pops_R
Explorer
Explorer
Not having any luck finding a Camping World that can do tire rotations on the Motor Home as we travel. So my question is where is everyone else getting there Motor Home tires rotated? Then if a general ball park quote on what is being charged for this service would be great.
30 REPLIES 30

MrWizard
on a (6) tire coach
you don't rotate the tires
I never have, and don't know anybody else that ever did
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't rotate tires on my old one ton dually, and I don't rotate the tires on my motorhome.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
We rotate ours once a year: left rear swap with fronts, then next time, right rear swaps with fronts etc.

This is the same routine I use. As already noted, don't worry about which way the tire rolls. The tire manufactures withdrew that requirement many years ago.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
We rotate ours once a year: left rear swap with fronts, then next time, right rear swaps with fronts etc.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
Pops, most people don't rotate the tires on a coach like yours. You never want to change the direction of travel on a radial (fronts) and you need to keep the rears matched to their original partner. It can be done, but is not cost effective. Keep a close eye on your front tires making sure the air, alignment and balance are correct. Typically, they will need replacement first, but you can then break up the cost of tire replacement over a couple of years.

I've owned a dual rear wheel coach of some kind or another for over 24 years. Last year was the first time I was able to rotate the fronts to the tag position on my coach (my first tag axle RV). Obviously this doesn't pertain to your coach, but shows probably the only time the fronts can be moved around without costing a fortune and changing the direction of travel.

That has not been true for radial tires for decades. It was a concern in the early days.

PF_PM
Explorer
Explorer
my local truck tire shop where I bought the tires rotated them for free because I bought them there.. Kal Tire..
2005 Newmar 34' Kountry Star, 8.1L W22, Blue Ox 10K, Honda Pilot, Bijon Shitzu (Sassy) dash dog. Nine Provinces, Two Territories, 47 States, Northern Mexico... so far..

Pops_R
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the feed back and insights. I was just going off what the owners manual said and that was under normal scheduled maintenance rotating the tires was listed to be done every 7500 miles.
So I understand it is just something not done or actually needed and I thank all for that insight

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
If I had a non-tag coach and noticed a front alignment problem, either I would get new tires for the front or take a dually set and make those tires the 'new' front tires and put the 'ever-so-slightly' worn front tires in that dually position.

On our previous coach, I did get a bad alignment from Colton Truck in Colton, CA. I didn't catch it until Nashville, TN. I was getting severe wear on the inside of both fronts. So, an excellent shop in Nashville, TAFA (Tire, Axle, Frame and Alignment) put us back together like new!

I rotated the worn front tires to my my tag axle tires and we were ready to roll. That was the most perfect alignment I ever got and it lasted for several years until it was time to replace with a new set of tires. I received $50 each for my 7.5 yr. old take-off's. (tire dates 2006-4306) in May of 2013.

On my new coach, my front and tag tires are 365's... the drive tires are 315's, so I could still use the same method as before by switching the tag to front, etc.

That's my story.
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
ArchHoagland wrote:
I never rotate my tires on my motorhome.

Not recommended.
X-2!

+3....or whatever we are up to.

A quick inspection and lug tightening.....recommended.
Rotating.....a waste of time; if a problem shows up with the inspection, something needs fixing.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since the OP did not say how many miles he puts on his coach a blanket statement about the tires rotting first may not be appropriate. I have been replacing my tires for the last 20 years long before they rot and as soon as they reach 50-60,000 miles, which is about four years. I always get a good tire credit towards my new tires so I feel it is worth it for the way we travel. IN any case, Michelin and Goodyear both have recommended tire rotation charts that indicate how to rotate the tires. I would guess that you are looking at around $150 to have it done, maybe less if you combine it with an oil change, lubrication, or other work.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:

Not recommended.
X-2!

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Even if you did not have a 2015 Thor, the only reason to rotate would be if you had the coach aligned to solve a front tire wear problem and by putting them on the rear you might get more miles out of them.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
It's not recommended to rotate tires on a MH which is why you are having difficulty finding a place to do it. MH tires don't wear like car tires. Cars have much more lateral friction on the tire due to turning etc. Not to mention car tires are run a lot more miles than MH tires. Your MH tires will dry rot long before you have tread wear excessive enough to replace them. If you are showing signs of uneven wear that's more likely an alignment or inflation problem and can't be fixed by rotating them. That said, if you are dead set on rotating them, find a truck shop. They'll look at you funny, but they'll take your money.

Looks like you asked the same question back in Sep and got pretty much the same answers. Save your money.
2013 ACE 29.2

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer

Not recommended.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 I don,t worry about it.